• 9 comments

Ske

Gimp
Premium
Norway
Home
The_Ske
PzR Ske
...so my fancy for some simcadey goodness got tickled once more and I'm trying to figure out where to jump in.

Only problem is I'm a bit out of the loop setup-wise (I do have a hardly used Fanatec PWTS with CSR elites and a decent PC), so there are some decisions to be made.

To begin with I'm looking for more of a casual, offline FM/GT career mode experience than a real sim. Is it possible to combine that with my existing gear in any sane way? Converting the PC to a full-time rig is not an option as I need it for work and misc.

Does anyone have any experience using the PWTS with FM7 on PC? Alternatively through a Drivehub with GTS... although with shipping and import tax that'd end up dangerously close to a second-hand T300/G29 in terms of cost.

I could of course opt for a PS4 + T300/G29 instead as that sofa driving on a TV is kinda more my thing. I also really don't mind a downgrade in terms of objective quality (I actually used to prefer the feel of cheaper wheels back then), but it'd be a waste not to use what I already have.

Any suggestions hardware/platform-wise?
Games I should look into other than FM7/GTS? PC2?

Last edited:
Wreckfest and FH4 are pretty good PC options, there's also Dirt Rally 2.

When you say you have a "decent" PC, what are your specs? Even just approximate specs if not a shopping list of part numbers would do.

i7-7820x, 32gb, gtx1080 is still considered decent, right?

Wreckfest and FH sounds a tad too far into arcade-land for my tastes but I will check them out.

Edit: I did manage to set up and do a firmware upgrade on my Fanatec. Downloading the FM7 trial now to see if it'll work *crossing fingers*

Is Forza Motorsport 6 Apex still a thing?

Last I checked a year ago, it was incapable of using more than a few graphics card including mine but if it's still out and you have a compatible video card it's basically a free full Forza game.

Ske
Wreckfest and FH sounds a tad too far into arcade-land for my tastes but I will check them out.

They're both surprising in that you'd think they're straightforward arcade racers, but they do just enough simulation of how real cars drive to be interesting in that kind of way, they're way closer to, say, Forza Motorsport than Need for Speed. There's a demo for FH4 and you can always refund Wreckfest if you don't like it (so long as you don't play for more than 2 hours and refund within 2 weeks).

Ske
i7-7820x, 32gb, gtx1080 is still considered decent, right?

Yes!

Hmm, had a thought...

Looking at some demos it looks like an i5-6500 with a 1050ti should also play these games fine, right?
I do have an HTPC, which would combine the best of both worlds, lazy couch riding and wheel compatibility/no need for buying a console... And I can move to the big PC without having to buy the games again.

Ske
Hmm, had a thought...

Looking at some demos it looks like an i5-6500 with a 1050ti should also play these games fine, right?
I do have an HTPC, which would combine the best of both worlds, lazy couch riding and wheel compatibility/no need for buying a console... And I can move to the big PC without having to buy the games again.

Oh in that case look into either Steam streaming or Parsec, if you can connect (or already have connected) both your main PC and HTPC via Ethernet then you'd easily be able to stream from one to the other, so you can use the performance of the 1080 from your HTPC. Parsec worked better for me but both are good.

Oh in that case look into either Steam streaming or Parsec.

Steam streaming won't work with FFB wheels afaik (it's on their known issues list) - or do you know otherwise?
Will look into Parsec, havent heard of that before.

Ske
Steam streaming won't work with FFB wheels afaik (it's on their known issues list) - or do you know otherwise?

Oh yeah, fair point. You could try VirtualHere USB server to bypass Steam's control stream, I use it on a Raspberry Pi that lives under my sofa to connect two keyboards (Logitech K400 Plus and a Roccat Sova), a mouse and an Xbox One controller adaptor to my PC with no additional cables other than the flat Cat6 I had to run anyway. VirtualHere should present the wheel to your PC as if it were plugged in directly, although I'm not sure how it'll work if your HTPC is the USB server but the streaming client... If it doesn't work, you can use an Android device with a USB OTG adaptor cable (unless you have one with a USB-A port), a laptop, Raspberry Pi, etc. as a server instead.

Heh, sounds like a lot of moving parts. I'll try and get myself up and running on the PC first.

Unfortunately the PWTS was no bueno for Forza... Tried all available firmwares and drivers without luck, even in PS3 mode with Logitech drivers (supposed to emulate a G25, but not happening).

That said, my old DFP did work (kind of, menu navigation is weird and it insists on resetting to 180 degree mode).
It is a bit rubbish though, so I will have to reconsider getting a new wheel I suppose - probably a T300 if the reviews are anything to go by.

Back