Looking for a tactile/clicky keyboard

England
A house
AbsoluteBarstool
AbsolutBarstool
Hi guys,

I've done a quick search for keyboard-related threads and only found ones as recent as 2017, so no interests in reviving those.

I've decided that now is the correct time to do a search for something slightly upmarket from the boards that I use at the moment. As it stands at the moment, my 'quiet' keyboard is a Corsair Strafe in MX Red with 2.5mm dampening rings and my tactile keyboard is a Logitech G213 - which, for all intents and purposes is a slightly more-crisp productivity board with RGB and I'm not a big fan of its tendency to bind sometimes during off-centre key presses.

The next board I'm looking for is something that I've never felt before: something with a sharper tactile event and isn't festooned with all of the 'gamer' gimmicks that plague a lot of modern peripherals. I also don't mind the idea of a decent clicky switch. Early ideas at the moment include the PC version of the Matias Tactile Pro and one flavour or another of the Unicomp Model M. I'm setting a budget of up to £150 and could probably do with a bit of wrist support as well - as I don't type with floating hands.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Thought about it, looked at different reviews of MX browns from the perspectives of MX Red users and then decided on the Matias. They weren't lying about the sound and tactility - this thing feels like it's come off a typewriter.

I have a Corsair K68 MkII with Cherry Red switches. It took a while to get used to the length of travel of the keys, having used Apple or laptop keyboards for a long time. After a couple of days though I realised how nice the key action feels, and how I’m going a lot faster.

Media player keys and volume control are really useful. I’ve just set the RGB to plain white. Thoroughly recommend.

(I posted this here because I didn't want to start another thread about keyboards when this one exists)

There's a one-day-only Logitech sale on Amazon today which inspired me to look at getting a keyboard, funny thing is none of Logitech's offerings float my very particular boat and I hate Amazon so I ended up getting a Fnatic miniStreak with Cherry MX Silent Red switches.

I was looking for a portable mechanical keyboard with quiet switches, the Logitech G Pro would've been good but it had clicky switches. The G413 looked OK too but would've been too wide and harder to store (I don't have a permanent desk so it's something I need to pack up every time I play), so I looked up some "best keyboards" lists and the Fnatic Streak seemed well-recommended, but too big - hence going with the miniStreak. I don't think it has a USB passthrough port which is a little annoying but not the end of the world.

I want to get a headset too but the only one I can find that isn't way too expensive and doesn't look like a Transformer is the Logitech G Pro headset and they have a 6-week wait which makes me less interested in getting one. Stupid Brexit. Still might get one, though.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back