looking for an Impreza '07 600 PP setup that gets rid of the understeer

the Interceptor

Premium
Germany
Germany
theInterceptor77
I was able to find a very decent setup for the Evo X (the standard one) that makes the car nice and neutral and very competitive in 600 PP races. But then again, I've always had my problem with the Subies. Today, I gave the '05 Sti another go and fiddled with the settings, and I found a decent setup that makes it about as quick as the Evo. I still find the Mitsubishi easier to control at the limit, but that's another story.

Now, I am convinced that the '07 Impreza is equally fast, if not faster. I remember meeting someone on Fuji 600 PP in that car, and I, driving the Evo, could for the love of my life not keep up with him. But every time I start working on the setup of the '07 Sti, I can only make it drive badly, and the more I try, the worse it gets.

It seems to have less grip overall than the Evo, even though it's on the same tires. There is so much understeer in this chassis that I quickly run into the "natural" limit of front end grip with this car. But it still understeers. Then, I try making the back end loose to gain overall neutrality, but what I end up with is a car that just starts to slide over all four wheels, which is even worse, as you have to wait until it grips again before you can apply any throttle.

I really don't know where to go with this. I certainly am no novice when it comes to tuning, but this one just doesn't fit, whatever I do. Can you help?

check my post a few threads down its got my set up in it and understeer is def not a problem. I called it the 07 sti RA but opps I guess in japan it was a 05.

Try this. It's a setup I got from one of the guys here, I think it was keko0013. This is for the '07 Impreza STI. I just tried it tonight at (expert) 600pp Fuji and Suzuka. It works great, very neutral, great handling. You have to keep the power on in the corners. And you can get on the throttle right at the apex...pretty cool. If you go in too fast and start to slide out, just downshift and give it more power, and the front wheels will pull the front end in.
HP: 56%
wt.:85%
tires currently S2 for the 600 expert races
hieght: -30 -30 ( I set this at -20/-20)
springs: 4/3
damper: 4/3
toe: -0.12/ +0.10
camber:0.5/0.8
brakes: 6/6
torque: 40/60
steering: 50 (if you have a wheel)
TC:0
ABS:1
--------
gears
1st 3.131
2nd: 2.190
3rd:1.634
4th: 1.318
5th: 1.090
6th: 0.919
final: 4.057
------------
I think I might have played with the gearing a little. Mainly adjusted the speed that 6th gets, by changing the final. Fuji needs a higher speed, Sazuka needs less top speed, more acceleration. I'm not sure, but I think I adjusted the final gear so that at Fuji, 6th would get about 180. And Sazuka, 6th would get about 160...something like that. I left the other gear ratios where they are.

Venture I am gonna give your setup a try if you don't mind. I am always looking for new setups for this car. I will post my lap times Suzuka and Fuji to see how they compare to some of the setups that I've tried before. Thanks again! :P

I don't want to take credit for someone else's setup...I made a few tweaks, but here is where I got it, in a thread about PP600 times on S2 tires:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3055712&postcount=52
Last night racing at Fuji, I was running 1:50 (best) 1:52 (usually) lap times. Won quite a few, some by embaressing wide margins. 4 wheel drifting the corners is great fun, but not the way to get good lap times. But get a big enough lead, then have some fun with it:lol::cheers:

Thanks a lot for the setups guys! 👍

I tried both, and they both handle nicely. Zodicus, yours is a bit more on the wild side, while the one from keko0013 that VentureDanny posted is a bit more neutral. Still, doing free runs against my shadow with the Evo X, I just couldn't keep up with it. While the Subie clearly is faster on the straights (given you manage the preceding curve), the Evo does magic in the bends with much more overall grip, even if it runs on the same rubber. I don't really understand that, I think it might be the way those cars handle the limit differently (yaw control and stuff).

I'm pretty convinced there's no setup out there that get's rid of the sliding the Subie retreats to when you reach the limit. It sure is fun, but I just can't cope with that, so I guess I'll have to sacrifice that bit of straight line speed and stick with the Evo.

Thanks anyway for your help guys, maybe those setups do it for someone else. 👍

thanks :P I usually have the tail kicked out a just a little every turn at suzuka, (unless im in traffic) its a blast to drive :)

Back