Looking for "Dark" Classical...Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter ceiling_fan
  • 4 comments
  • 786 views
Messages
8,707
United States
Utah
Messages
ceiling_fan
Some bands I've been listening to incorporate dark, intense symphonic sections and I was wondering if anybody knew music that was solely like this. A couple examples of bands that have these kinds of sections:

Adagio - Underworld - Underworld
0:00 - 4:06



Symphony X - Oculus Ex Inferni - Paradise Lost
0:00 - 2:38


👍
 
I've been trying to think of bands that fit that. All I know of are symphonic metal bands, like Symphony X, that incorporate classical. I can't think of any that are just symphonic without vocals and other heavy metal instrumentation.
 
Allmusic.com recommends bands that are similar to those you are looking at, and is generally a very useful site, although so is last.fm and Pandora if you want to find stuff that is similar to what you like...

Also, if you haven't already done so, Tom Servo/Diego's awesome thread on Prog Rock has a post in it (#61) that details "Symphonic Prog" which is close to what you're on about... alas, for some reason the thread is playing havoc with my laptop right now, perhaps because it has an abundance of YouTube clips therein, so you have been warned. I would also suggest speaking to Diego directly, but that would involve speaking to Diego directly, for which you may require specialist equipment.

Well darn.
This means "slightly longer on the grill than Medium" in Belfast...
 
Back