Looking for some opinions on a good DD

  • Thread starter Thread starter xXSilencerXx
  • 27 comments
  • 2,068 views
Messages
1,759
Been a while since I've been on here. The TA now has 152,000 miles on it, and I have a better job so I am looking for a daily driver as I would like to start building the TA into a street/strip car and need something else to drive when it is down.

I've seen some good advice on this subject on this forum before.

I have two major concerns fueling this decision, fuel mileage vs. reliability/ruggedness.

For the second part I have been eyeballing a Chevy Colorado with the 5.3 V8 in it with the crewcab. Would solve driving in the snow problems with the TA, give me something to to haul things with, and the ability to trailer the TA places. The last being a great concern since I will be in the Air Force and moving often. It also will hold more people comfortably and last a long time. I know this due to my knowledge of the motors and drivetrains of these vehicles. It doesn't solve the MPG concern though.

Fuel Mileage side I lean towards the Cobalt SS supercharged, fun car with decent mileage. My sister has an 05 supercharged and I've driven it a lot and it is a solid car. I also like the a Mini Cooper S but do not know much about them and have just now started looking at them. Both don't seem great in the winter though, but both come in a manual which is what I am looking for. 👍

Budget is potentially as high as $30K but saving money is always preferred. :D If anybody has some other suggestions about good sporty cars that are ok on gas, or a good rugged vehicle that can handle the abuse I will most likely put it through, or better yet one that might fall in between, it'd be appreciated.
 
I also like the a Mini Cooper S but do not know much about them and have just now started looking at them.

You will get good fuel mileage with a MCS, however the reliability is hit or miss on them. The supercharged ones are worse than the turbocharged one in terms of working correctly but they aren't without their problems.

If you buy one new though you do get a 50,000 mile warranty and you do get maintenance for the first 50,000 miles too. However, the issue you will run into is that MINI's dealer network is pretty spotty. Being on the east coast though you might be OK, but if you are planning on moving it could become an issue.

And if you couldn't tell by the name the car is small :lol:. If it's just you and another person you are fine, but only put people in the back for short trips or they will bitch.

The MINI is a very fun car though and you'll carve the curves pretty good with one. They aren't all that fast in a straight line, but you can have fun with the car for sure.
 
Colorados are awful, awful, awful vehicles in the lower engine range. Colorado V8s only manage to offset the awful until you realize that both the Tacoma and Frontier with the big V6s, while they amazingly manage to get even worse mileage than the already-pathetic Colorado, aren't really any slower; yet are better across the board in every other standard. You can also get both of them with 6-speeds, whereas the Colorado is stuck with a 4-speed slushbox. Basically, if you want to get something like a Colorado V8, get a Taco or Frontier instead. Or, for that matter, buy an old S10 and make it a V8 yourself. But stay away from the Colorado.


In regards to the Cobalt, if you wanted to get one of them I would actually swing for the newer turbocharged one. It is pretty much better in every way, and you can still get one new for around $21,000 before the GM dealer starts wheelin' and dealin.' Well under your budget.


I will also throw out the various Subarus with turbo engines. They would be pretty good compromises between your "rugged" and "fun" categories, or at least the best I can think of. The current Impreza WRX starts at $25,000, but you could save quite a bit of money if you look for any of the various used models made before 2006 and after 2008 (the ones in between aren't very good).
That being said, I would personally suggest the Baja Turbo as being the absolute best compromise. They only made them for a few years, so it may be difficult to find one, but if you can they are pretty good. They are basically Legacys with a small bed and the WRX drivetrain. If you can't find one of them, I would also suggest the Forester Turbo as being a close second in "rugged". The only drawback I can see to any of the Scoobys is that they take Premium, and the mileage isn't that great.
 
I will look into the Frontier, won't consider anything Toyota. Have never been in one that impressed me and I like the experience I've had with Nissians more. I'm surprised the Colorado is not well performing, I'll have to look into it more, but the 5.3 is the same in my dad's Avalanche and transmission I assume is the 4L80E which are both proven well performing engine and transmission. In the end I'm still on the fence with the truck idea, it costs the most and I don't help with gas at all by getting one. I still do like the idea of not having snow stop me from getting out, and being able to haul things like my snowboard and furniture.

Yes I was considering the Turbo Cobalt, as like you said it's a good price and well performing and the price is very good. Plus I can get a full time student discount. I will look into the Subaru's totally forgot about them and I really like the WRX's even if a STi is too expnsive. Will have to check about those.


I wasn't aware the Coopers came turboed Joey. Thanks for the info, small is fine and straightline speed isn't the biggest worry, I got the TA for that. :D It's all abou cornering ability with this second car.

Another one I just remembered is a golf GTi, I have always like the looks of those cars, but have never really looked into how well they perform for the price.
 
Mazdaspeed 6?

They have their "issues", but not anything that can't be remedied, and they manage to do basically everything well except have a fold-down rear seat. And there's ways around that as well.
 
There are two more things I thought I should mention:
In regards to traction, the Colorado V8 isn't available with 4WD (or at least it isn't anymore. Maybe it was in the past), so you would probably have a harder time driving it in the snow than your T/A.

In regards to towing, the Subaru Baja has a tow rating of 2400 lbs (and a fairly high cargo capacity of 1050), but because Subaru measures the tow rating differently from the way trucks do for their American models the chassis can easily take much more. The weakest point is going to be the rear suspension, but I know that there are suspension kits for Subarus specifically made for towing. I'm not saying that I'm suggesting you should use a Baja to tow your T/A around, but I am merely mentioning that if you had to the Baja could do so without that much trouble. The same is true for all of the other cars based on the 3rd generation Legacy platform, including the Outback.
 
Last edited:
Ok those sound like a good option. As for the Colorado not being 4wd it is still listed a being able to get 4wd on their website. You have to get 2LT not 3LT for the 4wd. I would not even consider a 2wd truck, they are pointless for what I'd want to use a truck for.
 
You have to get 2LT not 3LT for the 4wd. I would not even consider a 2wd truck, they are pointless for what I'd want to use a truck for.
Unless I'm missing something (which is possible), as I look at the Chevy website right now the 2LT comes with the craptastic 3.7 I5 engine, not the V8; and the 3LT only is available with the 2WD Extended Cab and 2WD Crew Cab.
 
Unless I'm missing something (which is possible), as I look at the Chevy website right now the 2LT comes with the craptastic 3.7 I5 engine, not the V8; and the 3LT only is available with the 2WD Extended Cab and 2WD Crew Cab.

Yes I thought the same at first till I stumbled on it one day. If you build a 2LT the V8 is an option later in the process. Not a very good system online, but I verified it in a brochure at the dealer.
 
If you are willing to buy used I'd get an '08-'09 Subaru Legacy GT. Perfect DD sporty 24-28 MPG on the forums for the GT's look good around these parts they are uncommon enough. AWD for the snowy bits decent interiors (if your looking at Chevy's I would call the Subaru's interior great) Seats are comfortable on long drives, a little meh when it gets twisty but good enough for DD use back seat is a bi small but useable for small people or short trips.
 
Used (low mileage) Grand Prix GTP for 4k, invest the rest of the money. *thumbs up*
 
Base 2011 V6 Mustang. Plenty of power, very respectable gas mileage, acceptable base amenities.
 
No fords for me. I'll do a V6 Camaro, built one loaded for $28k :D

Right now leaning towards Cobalt, just waiting to finish things financially so I can start seriously looking.
 
I caved and went with my gut. haha Couldn't pass it up, once in a life time kinda deal where things lined up that I could get it. This time I got the 6 speed I always wanted :D

Camaro.jpg
 
NOICE! Do you still have the T/A too?
 
Thanks! Yep it's going to split duties with the Camaro, but the Camaro will be my primary vehicle. Now I can focus on paying down the Camaro and fixing things on the TA I never could before because I needed to get it off the road for a few days to fix it. First thing is to get the paint repaired on it, then rebuild the rear end, headers and y-pipe with high flow cats. Then if it works out by the end of summer I'll be able to go heads and cam on the Trans Am, 3600 stall and performabuilt stage 2 transmission. Shooting to get the TA in the 425-450 hp range. 👍

Only thing I may mod on the Camaro is the exhuast. It's fast as it is, just too quiet. haha
 
You might of been more happy with a 2011 V6 Mustang. Faster, cheaper, better gas mileage and a much better all around drive. But, glad to hear you're keeping the TA.
 
Lol faster, ok. From Motor Trend, V6 Mustang, 13.7 @ 102.0 mph. 2010 Camaro 13.1 sec @ 110.8 mph. Hardly even close to being faster. It's also got two major flaws, there's a blue oval on the grill and it's ugly. haha I will never be happy if I have to drive a Ford, rather drive a Dodge first. Better drive I don't know, I haven't driven one, but the Camaro is in no way a bad drive.
 
The Ford's got at least one thing on that Chevy, it's not eeeeuuugly. :yuck:

Just my opinion. 👍
 
That's cool, but I don't care as the rear ends on the new Stangs are the ugliest thing I've ever seen on a mustang. Camaro is aggressive all around and doesn't look half retarded.
 
Congrats on the purchase

demotivationalposterthe.jpg
 
Cars like that Camaro are the reason I wish I lived in the States.
 
JCE
You might of been more happy with a 2011 V6 Mustang. Faster, cheaper, better gas mileage and a much better all around drive. But, glad to hear you're keeping the TA.

Missed the bit where he got an SS. ;)
 
Lol faster, ok. From Motor Trend, V6 Mustang, 13.7 @ 102.0 mph. 2010 Camaro 13.1 sec @ 110.8 mph. Hardly even close to being faster. It's also got two major flaws, there's a blue oval on the grill and it's ugly. haha I will never be happy if I have to drive a Ford, rather drive a Dodge first. Better drive I don't know, I haven't driven one, but the Camaro is in no way a bad drive.

Didn't see that you got an SS. Still, I'll just upgrade my thoughts to a GT. But whatever. You hate Ford that's fine.

Out.
 
JCE
Didn't see that you got an SS. Still, I'll just upgrade my thoughts to a GT. But whatever. You hate Ford that's fine.

Out.

Lol yea the new GT is stout for sure. But yes I can't stand Ford, everyone I have ridden in just felt like crap and they take lots of money to modify. Glad to see them finally making power though, get the horsepower wars going again. 👍
 
Meh. I don't think the support is quite as good on the latest engines as it is on those stupid Gen I small blocks that they made forever and put in every vehicle imaginable, thus making half the aftermarket center around them.

Thing is, Ford's Chassis seems to be better supported than the Zeta platform, though the new V8 isn't quite as well-supported as the old Modular, being out less than a year.

Still, he has what he has. Look at it this way: he didn't buy a Challenger.
 
Lol yea the new GT is stout for sure. But yes I can't stand Ford, everyone I have ridden in just felt like crap and they take lots of money to modify. Glad to see them finally making power though, get the horsepower wars going again. 👍

See I have the opposite problem. Ford's stuff has always come off as reasonably well put together (FWD transmissions aside) to me while GM's stuff seems cheap. That said, I HATE HATE HATE both manufacturer's current volume sellers.

As far as the pony cars go... I don't even fit inside the new Camaro and I'm only 6'1" while the Mustang has (comparatively) miles of headroom. Trunk is smaller and less useable in the Camaro, it's heavier, I dislike the interior, visibility is poor, etc etc.
 
Meh. I don't think the support is quite as good on the latest engines as it is on those stupid Gen I small blocks that they made forever and put in every vehicle imaginable, thus making half the aftermarket center around them.

Thing is, Ford's Chassis seems to be better supported than the Zeta platform, though the new V8 isn't quite as well-supported as the old Modular, being out less than a year.

Still, he has what he has. Look at it this way: he didn't buy a Challenger.

The GM motor has no support? Gen III and Gen IV motors have tons of aftermarket support. Cheap parts with good power gains that are reliable. As for the chassis, I've seen plenty of parts out of UMI with more in production. BMR also has parts and are making more. This doesn't matter to me tho because this car is not for modifying. That's what the Trans Am is for, which has massive aftermarket support and it's a Gen II motor. ;)


Haha yea Challenger was never an option.
See I have the opposite problem. Ford's stuff has always come off as reasonably well put together (FWD transmissions aside) to me while GM's stuff seems cheap. That said, I HATE HATE HATE both manufacturer's current volume sellers.

As far as the pony cars go... I don't even fit inside the new Camaro and I'm only 6'1" while the Mustang has (comparatively) miles of headroom. Trunk is smaller and less useable in the Camaro, it's heavier, I dislike the interior, visibility is poor, etc etc.

To each his own, I have never had a good experience with any Ford hence my lack of even considering them when buying a car. I have no trouble seeing out of the car. I fit fine but I'm only 5'6" so it's pretty much impossible for a car to be too small for me. :lol: Why does everybody care about the trunk so much? I have no problem getting stuff in it, it's not like you are always trying to haul around 100 lbs of cargo. Maybe I don't care because I've only had the Trans Am for the 4 years I've driven and I've learned some creative ways to lug stuff around without damaging the interior. I've gotten an air compressor, a toolbox, framing nail gun, miter saw, circular saw, huge bag full of drills and what not all in the TA with room to spare. I could easily do the same in the Camaro.

As for looks and interior that's all an opinion. Everybody will be different. I personally think the interior is excellent. Light years better material and construction than the TA. It's got Bluetooth, XM, Onstar, Navigation and I don't even need those except for the bluetooth. Maybe it's because I have the Inferno Orange interior but I don't see what's so bad about it.

Lighter doesn't always mean faster. Mustang GT from what I could find looks to be 3,600 lbs Camaro is about 3800. Camaro makes 14 more hp and 43 more ft-lbs of torque. Camaro has more aggressive final drive gear and wider tires. Camaro has IRS, Mustang went to live axle. To me it doesn't sound like anybody can sit here and bench race and call a victor. It looks like the making a good old drag race, both have advantages and disadvantages.

In the end though, with only say $7,000 I could get the TA to eat either one alive. Hence why I'll focus on building it into what I want while the Camaro makes a fun and reliable car for driving every day.
 
Last edited:
Back