Looking for tips and advice for the time trials

• Thread starter EliteSoap
  • 22 comments
Germany
Germany
xXEliteSoapXx
Hello guys,
I am new here, i am 16 years old and maybe to young for this season GT ACADEMY. I drive since 1 year Gran Turismo. I see the World Records on Brands Hatch and Apricot, the most of them are player with GTP_.
So i try to ask here for help. I drive nearly like the others, but i see, that they break later and they accelerate earlier. How they do that? I drift evertime from the track if i accelerate to much like the others.

Have anyone tipps or are the bests here to give me some tipps?

It's all about being smooth, tap / ease on the brakes ( unless your going into turn 1 or the hairpin ), roll on the throttle.

Are you using a wheel or Controller?

If you are using a controller, what buttons/sticks are you using for brake and throttle?
If you are using a wheel, what Force Feedback level are you using?

Also are you using a manual or automatic transmission? The automatic will shift at REALLY bad times upsetting the car.

Of cours i drive with wheel... the Logitech Driving Force GT and manual, i know that that is the fastest method. Shifting is not the problem. Force Feedback?! Hmmm... the normal standard.

Hey Elitesoap, i'm also 16 and I know how you feel.
I already participated in 2012 and 2013 so I have some experience (90th at brands hatch didnt have time for the others)
I learned everything from the video from tidgney (of 2013)
What you have to do is trail-braking. In the beginning it was really hard for me but eventually you get faster. You actally have to brake for 10% and automatically the car will roll in. Because of this yu can brake some later and accelerate really early. Just watch you don't go drifting... I mean so your tires dont get red.
Btw which setttings do you use?
I always use simulator and ffb 10
Also all other aids off except of ABS

ABS and others are all off, exactly how the best of the world. I drive with the Driving Force... it's difficult. I can't regulate the break perfectly, a little bit to much and i break 100% -.-
I watched the Videos of Tigney for this year, it helps me only a little bit. I follow nearly perfect but my car react diffrent.
From wich country do you from?
2013, i didn't had the wheel, so i didn't try it really :P

I also drive Driving Force
And that's weird, normally I have it too when I brake for the first time it's not right.
so before I begin I break 100% and normally the next time I brake it's normal again.
And I'm from Belgium, you?

ABS and others are all off, exactly how the best of the world. I drive with the Driving Force... it's difficult. I can't regulate the break perfectly, a little bit to much and i break 100% -.-
I watched the Videos of Tigney for this year, it helps me only a little bit. I follow nearly perfect but my car react diffrent.

Watch the red brake bar when you are driving, braking with ABS OFF requires different technique, apply higher brake input when on higher speed and gradually decrease the brake once the car slowed down into the apex. When you are below 100kmh, usually a quarter brake force is more than enough.

Watch the red brake bar when you are driving, braking with ABS OFF requires different technique, apply higher brake input when on higher speed and gradually decrease the brake once the car slowed down into the apex. When you are below 100kmh, usually a quarter brake force is more than enough.

I look everytime at the brake bar, had you any other tipps?

I would suggest to practice at Tsukuba, get a low power car like Honda Fit, set low brake balance, like 3/5 or 2/5 for a start, leave the car stock if you want, try to focus on braking 1st corner, then the hairpin afterwards and the esses then the last hairpin. Try to find the braking point, then practice trail braking and cadence braking. If you find you are about to lock the front wheels, ease off the brakes, and reapply brakes immediately, smooth pumping :)

For trail braking practice, full brake from high speed for a second or so, then reduce the brake - this might need time to get used to, lift your foot slowly. I think this would be a good time to train left foot braking, try to use your left foot, to help, apply some gas together when braking :)

I highly recommend to run the Honda Fit with comfort hard or medium tire, this will force you to be smooth in braking to avoid lock ups. Once you used to it, you'll be surprised how easy to brake with higher grip tire.

I search the menu where i can set the break balance... :confused: I didn't find it.
By the way... do you drive the Academy Challenge? Which place? :dopey:

Most of the "best in the world" run with ABS ON set to 1. It makes trailbraking deep into a corner more constant. You can run with ABS off and still make the top 10 but you will be doing more laps, and it will be a pain on a few track and car combos. A few FWD cars are "faster" with ABS OFF but it is rare.

I would suggest not looking at the brake bar. Keep your eyes on the apex.

Most of the "best in the world" run with ABS ON set to 1. It makes trailbraking deep into a corner more constant. You can run with ABS off and still make the top 10 but you will be doing more laps. A few FWD cars are "faster" with ABS OFF but it is rare.

I would suggest not looking at the brake bar. Keep your eyes on the apex.

Your right... it was my mistake... i copy everything from the best. I had everytimes ABS on :gtpflag:

I search the menu where i can set the break balance... :confused: I didn't find it.
By the way... do you drive the Academy Challenge? Which place? :dopey:

In tuning menu, it's at the top next to suspension right under the tires list. You should run lower value when not using ABS with a pedal, try 2/2 or 2/3 then increase until you find the sweet spot.

For this year GT Academy I only aim for gold, too busy tuning and testing online/offline for my garage :) I usually gold the GT Academy in 2 laps or so, 3 laps average :P and I don't use any aids since GT5 - 2010.

Ahhhh... Country exclusive Challenges! How last year, since yet i didn't find the exclusive german Academy...
The 3rd round is blocked for me because i am not 18 -.- mimimimimmimii
The Nissan 370z round fu:censored:s me really up.
I am often only 2sec better than the gold trophy time, the bests are crazy... i can't imagine what they do... thats sick...
I never get there :banghead::(

:gtplanet:

I am also not 18 and I did participate in the third round...
And I mean the facebook challenge...

And yes, it takes a lot of time to get really good

Back