Looking forward to play GT1 again

• Thread starter Arppa83
  • 18 comments
Finland
Finland
Hello, I just got here. :)

Sorry for this long post but I was excited!

I still remember when I bought the original Gran Turismo in 1998...
I had somehow missed all the hype around it so it totally surprised me.
Right from the intro movie I was stunned.. damn this game looks good!
Still more when the actual game looked as good!
All those shiny cars... drool :drool:
And the feeling of driving was like nothing I had played before.
Somehow everything was just right in this game... just.. perfect.

Haven't been so hooked on any other game since.

But anyway, I'm thinking of playing GT1 again, I've been doing stuff for older games (modding for Doom and playing UFO: Enemy Unknown) lately
so I thought I could dig up my old PSX from the closet as well. :)
My old memory cards are missing and the console itself isn't in very mint condition, but it still works. Looking for PS1 memory cards atm.

Got the idea while browsing these forums, nice to see people still play GT1 too!

Yeah I still play and love this game as much as I did when I first bought it (which was around 5 years ago). Lots of people forget GT1 nowadays, but I'll still play it no matter what.

Good to see you still play it too :).

Welcome and enjoy your stay here Arppa83. Hope you can be a long-staying member :cheers:

Yeah, appra83! That intro movie is the BEST. It's my favorite by far the way it builds so dramatically with the music. I'm currently playing GT4 but the original is stilll great. 👍

I actually just finished playing through GT1 again. Somehow this went much quicker and smoother than my first run through.

I did discover that it is completely possible to beat Simulation Mode by buying only four cars. You will win everything else you need.

A for the memory card issue - I assume you don't have a PS3? You can create virtual memory cards on the PS3 hard drive. So, you may have an easier time just holding out for when you get a PS3 before playing GT1 all over again.

Welcome !
Glad to have another GT1 fan on board.
I had the same feelings the first time I played it.

As for a memory card, I have several and would be willing to post one to you if you wish.

Just pm me and we can work out details.

Indeed it is a classic
After playing GT5-Prologue my interest in the old GT games has been renewed so I'm glad I still have my old saves
I've just started a new game with a Japanese copy GT

I have been playing GT1 on my PSP recently, so there is no need finding a memory card. However I find the game very addictive like I played it 9 years ago. Gotta love the racing modification but the procedure of selling a bunch of Mazdaspeed Demio is pain in the butt :lol:

Yay! I found my old PSX!
Just wiped some dust off, and set it up. :)
In good condition otherwise but the plastic center part is screwed.
Some blu tack and the disc stays in right place. :sly:

Found my original GT, with manuals and all, the case is a bit broken but the game disc is fine, just some minor scratches and dust.

Even found the memory cards too, tho I didn't have any old game saves but doesn't matter since I wanted to start it over again anyway.
I have PS2 and GT4 too, but I set the old PS1 up for nostalgy. :)
Surprise for me, I could use the PS2 controller on it. Good thing, my old DualShock broke up several years ago.

So, I fired it up. Heh, just seeing that old PS logo brings back memories.
Still works fine, I was a bit surprised.
Always liked the music in this game. :)
A few rounds in Arcade Mode with an yellow FTO, Integra, Sting Ray...
damn, didn't remember it feels this fast!
The graphics aren't the best I've seen anymore, but it still looks surprisingly good. Feels very raw and honest. Ah, memories.. all starts coming back.

After some races, I started GT mode. Heh, these tunes are crazy.
Went straight to B license tests (first time I played the game I didn't know you could race the Spot Races without a licence. Well, I think it was funnier this way, I had to really work to even get to race!)
Spent some time even in the first test to get the Demio stopped in right spot.
Damn, this game is harder than i remember! Heh.
Finally got it right. What, bronze??
These tests were sure harder in this first game.
Some practise and finally got gold in the B2 test.
Tried the 1st one again, and again, and... what? Did it stop in the finish area?
I was literally only 10-15cm past the first line in the goal area! :lol:
34.620 sec, pretty good for me I think!
The cornering test with Del Sol was easier when I thought I can push this car in pretty hard, cause these should be pretty light. Woo! Gold with a few attemps. The same corner with the Silvia was causing me a lot more trouble.

Finally, I got all them gold and went to the final test.
1st attemp, gold in time 1:18:549! :)

Feels strange to start the GT mode with the Concept Car and 10.000 credits.
I thought I need a FWD car for some races anyway, so I looked in the used car lots.
Hmm a CR-X EF8 SIR. And it's black. That's mine!
(Had a black 1st gen one in real life, still miss it..) ;)
Did some machine tests. I remember it was pretty good first car, seems fast enough too! (I could reach about 180km/h max on test track with my black '90 Primera in my first GT mode game) :boggled:)
Tried a spot race on Autumn Mini with the stock CRX, and won it, even if the Celica SS-II was all the time trying to overtake. Nyah, no can do :)

I'll play some more later on today :sly:

oops sorry for the long post again :P

I have been playing GT1 on my PSP recently, so there is no need finding a memory card. However I find the game very addictive like I played it 9 years ago. Gotta love the racing modification but the procedure of selling a bunch of Mazdaspeed Demio is pain in the butt :lol:
Selling the Demio repeatedly can get tiring, but it is hardly necessary after you get past the B-license events. It is almost too easy to get money in this game, what with the pole position bonuses and generous prize amounts.

It should be possible to complete [size=+1]GT1[/size] Simulation Mode obtaining only a starter car, and winning all other entrants. If you can get a gold license prize, you won't even need to buy that...

It might take luck or retries to get...
1. a 4WD car (FTO LM is cheating; Tuned prize Skyline or Normal prize Impreza)
2. the UK Cerbera or US Viper GTS for the USvsUK (but you could soup up the prize Camaro)

Demio is the only prize you can enter in the Lwt series.

In non-US versions, the prize Demio isn't so good for FF and Lwt, either.
But apart from that, all entrants can be won, and you don't even need to re-enter too many races either.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/logs/

includes several "minimal" completed games (100 game days). (OTOH, I didn't require all races won for completion, just all series).

But it would take considerable skills to do that. Assuming you didn't get the Nismo 400R or TRD3000GT. The Normal Championship would prove to be quite a challenge to beat with only the prize cars.

Hmm after playing GT1 again. I decided to try GT4 again too to see the differences...
GT4 intro is a bit lame, but that's not a big deal.
I did some test runs on my favourite tracks, first High Speed Ring...

Sorry for talking about GT4 in GT1 forum, but I just wanted to say this.

Strange, feels a lot slower than I remembered. Going +200kph sure feels more like it in the first game. :(
I remember being afraid going over 200km/h waiting for the corners where I had to brake, even in the first license tests (actually, I still am!)

Somehow, I don't get the same sensation of speed.
Even tried the fast cars on Test Track, I'd think going over 300km/h would also feel like it, but no. Almost fell asleep on the straights, I guess that's not a good thing. :guilty:
Looks like PD has worked hard to make the track surface as smooth as possible, but at the same time they took out most of the things that made me feel like going fast, even the lines on the road! :nervous:
Grrr.
Dunno if GT1 causes epileptic seizures but I liked the roads a lot more in it.

The whole game just doesn't have the same aggressive attitude as the first one...
Playing the original after several years was like meeting an old friend, running me over, switching to reverse and running over me again to say "hi".
The style of the GT series seems to be going in a more calm and sophisticated(?) way.
Somebody should make Kazunori Yamauchi play the original Gran Turismo to remember the things that made it so great.
Hope PD gets out of the reverse gear they seem to be going, with the next one...

Sorry, I just felt a bit disappointed after trying GT4 again. :(

Strange, feels a lot slower than I remembered. Going +200kph sure feels more like it in the first game. :(
I remember being afraid going over 200km/h waiting for the corners where I had to brake, even in the first license tests (actually, I still am!)

Somehow, I don't get the same sensation of speed.

I do not know about your copy but I do know that SCEA had them speed up the NA version of GT1 because the sensation of speed in a game that truly mimics the speed does feel slow due to the lack of sensory input. There was an interview with the SCEA guy that adapts the game for NA where he talks about the biggest change he ever had PD make for the NA version was to increase the speed in GT1.

So, yeah it feels faster than all other versions, but it is an inaccurate representation of the speed. That fast and all over the place feeling was actually an arcadey touch added because they didn't think that the audience would like it otherwise.

As I only saw the interview with the guy from SCEA I can't speak for other regional versions.

But it would take considerable skills to do that. Assuming you didn't get the Nismo 400R or TRD3000GT. The Normal Championship would prove to be quite a challenge to beat with only the prize cars.
Er, true. That's a second car you usually need to buy. But when I was good I could win the Normal Series with the Hard-Tuned prize Skyline. People claim to have won with the Camaro(!). Both the Normal prizes can win when you're good too, but not the first time. :D The Lancer IV ought to be able to win too, but I'm not sure I ever managed it.

As for sensation of speed. Try sometime spreading your focus as you drive a real car quickly down a safe road (e.g. highway). I.e. imagine everything you can see through the windshield is on a TV screen. It doesn't seem to move all that fast.

I'm usually Mr. Long Post on here. And about the PS1 Memory Card thing... I lost my blue PS1 Memory Card... which contained data to games I've played... including Gran Turismo 2.

I've been thinking about replaying GT1 from my Memory Card. GT1 is still very timeless even after I've won every race (I did beat this game once. Still the ONLY GT I've beaten). It just seems like you can easily come back to GT1 after playing GT2-GT5P. The experience of racing Special Stage Route 11 and doing the endurance still gives me joy. When I watch replays of demo games, the one I usually watch most was the one with the Honda NSX LM GT2 racing around SSR11. Almost as if GT1 stays with you even if you love subsequent GT games. May not be as pretty as GT5P anymore, but for its time, it was hellishly beautiful. Feel free to replay GT1. I still suggest newcomers to GT play GT1. It's a good way to tell just how far we've come with this series.

I have the PAL (european) version, dunno about the NA version.
Yea I know about the speed thing, expecially Arcade Mode is crazy fast. :)
But I didn't mean that, I was talking about the track surfaces and small things like that.
I just liked the old versions of original tracks more. :guilty:

I tried GT4 again yesterday, looked better after I added some more contrast, now I can see the road details better, heh..
I tried the B Licence tests, thinking "dammit, it can't be THAT bad?"
Actually, I'm starting to like it again.
Hmm.
Yes, I'd say it's still addictive... very..

I'm probably just bitching about small things I've missed from the 1st one.
I just liked the original so much :)

Btw, has anyone actually finished GT1 with only prize cars without buying any? I think it would be possible?

I remembered someone saying that the same speed feels slower in later games because the frame rate is higher, so the display is smoother and feels like slower, but actually it's the same.

Back