losing grip on front tires

• Thread starter Drifter5
  • 10 comments
i have a problem when i use brakeing drift, my front tires would lose it grip and the car would understeer. so far i been drifting using the feint technique. i use the same tire up front and rear(N2), and there is no way i could drift using the breakin technique. i tried jabbing the breaks and using the breaks for a mere-second, yet the same thing happens. so any pros out there can help me?

Drifter5
i have a problem when i use brakeing drift, my front tires would lose it grip and the car would understeer. so far i been drifting using the feint technique. i use the same tire up front and rear(N2), and there is no way i could drift using the breakin technique. i tried jabbing the breaks and using the breaks for a mere-second, yet the same thing happens. so any pros out there can help me?

Use N3's on both the front and back.

Although this is not recommended, I prefer to drift with *slightly* better traction tires in the front compared to the rear. I use braking drifts on almost every corner and I've found this helps a lot. Check the settings depot for some of my settings, all of my cars are setup for maximum braking driftability. You might be one of the few people in this forum that would benefit from using one of my settings (I recommend the NISMO 270R or the S13 coupe settings). 👍

Your most probably braking too hard, and entering the turn too fast.
Try to ease up on that and smooth out your steering, then we'll see what happens.

burnout060
Although this is not recommended, I prefer to drift with *slightly* better traction tires in the front compared to the rear. I use braking drifts on almost every corner and I've found this helps a lot. Check the settings depot for some of my settings, all of my cars are setup for maximum braking driftability. You might be one of the few people in this forum that would benefit from using one of my settings (I recommend the NISMO 270R or the S13 coupe settings). 👍

hmmmm, can u care to explain why that it is not recomended? cause i read it on the drift guide, it said to use the same tires up front and rear. but i never got the point of it

yup, either brake with less force so you have more traction available at the front tires to turn in

or

buy a brake balance controller and set the balance stonger on the rear
doing so will:
stress the rear tires more - so they break adhesion easier under a lateral load
remove stress from the front tires - more of their total grip is available for turn in

braking will still transfer weight forward, thus decreasing rear grip and increasing front grip. The amount of weight transferred only depends on the decellerative force, and not on which end generates it.
Hopefully this will help cure the problem

some suspension doo-jiggery can likely remedy this problem, too

Drifter5
hmmmm, can u care to explain why that it is not recomended? cause i read it on the drift guide, it said to use the same tires up front and rear. but i never got the point of it

People usually recommend having all 4 tires the same because your car is a lot more balanced and predictable. I, however, like using Racing Mediums in the front and Racing Hards in the back. The mediums allow for good traction for high speed cornering, and the hards allow for good longevity, lots of sliding, and lots of control over the car's actions. I would use hards up front, but then I would lose cornering speed, and I would use mediums in the rear, but then I lose driftability.

That's why I like my setup.

EDIT: as TankSpanker said, setting the brake balance controller very strong in the rear will also dramatically help your braking drifts. If you check all of my setups, I have the brake balance controller set four to six times higher in the rear on every car. Good braking drifts 👍

I havnt tried this when drifting yet, just when i was doing laps at tsukaba (SP). I made the braking force on front and back alot higher than normal, like 25 or something on both, and the car would rotate very easily when I braked, alot more like in gt3. I was in the neon orange option Z by the way.

KurtG
I havnt tried this when drifting yet, just when i was doing laps at tsukaba (SP). I made the braking force on front and back alot higher than normal, like 25 or something on both, and the car would rotate very easily when I braked, alot more like in gt3. I was in the neon orange option Z by the way.

My brake balance in the front is always between 0 and 5. I have cars with 0 brake balance in the front :lol:

Try using 3/18 brake balance on your Option Z.

I tend to have 5-10 on both sides, usually just depends on the cars' nature (oversteer/understeer)

Back