Losing Sound after turning off the console

• Thread starter RobcioPL
  • 10 comments
Well guys I've had my PS3 for nearly 2 weeks now, but every time I turn off my console I lose sound. I am running an HDMI cable, for those who are wondering. What could be wrong? Is a setting resetting itself? Please help me because this is really annoying, I don't want to reset the system every time I turn it on.

You mean that after every turn off, when you turn on you have to re-select the audio through the HDMI output in order to have sound?. I'm not sure if you mean you lost the Playstation 3 audio the next time you turn on or not.

And in that case, when you turn it on, what option is enabled then? the composite audio?

It can be one of two things:
1. Since you are using HDMI it could be a handshaking issue.
2. When you turn off the PS3 make sure that you go back to the XMB menu, the screen with all the icons when you turn it on. If you turn off the PS3 while playing games it sometimes effects the settings and they have to be reset when you turn it back on.

Well guys I've had my PS3 for nearly 2 weeks now, but every time I turn off my console I lose sound. I am running an HDMI cable, for those who are wondering. What could be wrong? Is a setting resetting itself? Please help me because this is really annoying, I don't want to reset the system every time I turn it on.

I'd be happy to try and help you diagnose the issue, but you'll have to supply more specific details, like the audio equipment you are using, and exactly how you have it set up. Are you splitting the HDMI cable so the audio can go directly to the receiver/audio processor and the video to the TV, or is your HDMI cable from the PS3 going to the TV and then using a different audio cable from the TV to the audio processor? Or are you feeding a receiver the HDMI from the PS3 and then another from the receiver to the TV? Are you even using a receiver/ external audio processor or just using the TV speakers? Have you tried using the Digital Optical output on the PS3 instead of the HDMI cable? What do you have the audio output settings on the PS3 set to?

More info about your current setup will likely shed light on why you have this issue.

I know I shutoff my PS3 during games and playing movies all the time without any problems. I sometimes even get lazy and do a hard shutdown by holding down the power button on the PS3, and still I have not experienced what you have described. That said, it may very well be something that can easily be fixed, so if you can share more specific details about your setup, I'll be happy to see if I can spot where the problem might be coming from.

I am running the HDMI cable straight to my new 52" Sony XBR LCD. When I turn the system off, I only turn it off from the XMB. My audio settings were set "automatically" when I first turned the system on, that enabled sound and 1080p. In order to get my sound back, I have to hold the reset button on the system. Then the system automatically recalibrates to 1080p etc.

I am running the HDMI cable straight to my new 52" Sony XBR LCD. When I turn the system off, I only turn it off from the XMB. My audio settings were set "automatically" when I first turned the system on, that enabled sound and 1080p. In order to get my sound back, I have to hold the reset button on the system. Then the system automatically recalibrates to 1080p etc.

OK, so no receiver, but still a few more questions...

When you say you hold the reset button on the system, I suspect you mean you shutdown your PS3, then hold the power button on the PS3 for 5 seconds until you here the reset chirp, and then follow the on-screen instructions and select "automatic" for both audio and video settings?

Even though you selected "automatic", it will still tell you what it selected at the end of the confirmation process as noted in Step 6 of the Audio Output Settings instructions, so be sure to let us know what those settings are.

soundoutput002.jpg

Personally, I never use the automatic settings as I like to have control over what types of audio signals I want the PS3 to output, but that also means you need to know exactly what audio formats your sound system supports, in this case, your TV, which likely means it is limited.

Also, check to see if the settings are any different when you turn off the PS3 and turn it back on, but can't hear any sound, as well as any changes that may have happened when you reset the PS3 in order for the sound to come back.

Also, try switching to either or both the Digital Out (Optical) (using a Digital Optical/TOSLINK cable) as well as the Audio Input Connector / SCART / AV MULTI (using the AV Multi cable that came with the PS3) and see if you experience the same problems.

Also, is the loss of sound from just the XMB, or are you also not hearing sounds from any games, music & videos on the HDD, DVDs, and Blu-rays?

Also, try turning on your PS3 and if you can't hear any sounds, keep your PS3 on but try turning off and back on the TV. If the sound comes back on, then the problem is likely an HDMI handshaking issue... although what you describe still doesn't quite make sense, but with some more details and testing I'm sure we can all figure this out for you.

Last edited:
OK, so no receiver, but still a few more questions...

When you say you hold the reset button on the system, I suspect you mean you shutdown your PS3, then hold the power button on the PS3 for 5 seconds until you here the reset chirp, and then follow the on-screen instructions and select "automatic" for both audio and video settings?

Personally, I never use the automatic settings as I like to have control over what types of audio signals I want the PS3 to output, but that also means you need to know exactly what audio formats your sound system supports, in this case, your TV, which likely means it is limited.

Also, check to see if the settings are any different when you turn off the PS3 and turn it back on, but can't hear any sound, as well as any changes that may have happened when you reset the PS3 in order for the sound to come back.

Also, try switching to either or both the Digital Out (Optical) (using a Digital Optical/TOSLINK cable) as well as the Audio Input Connector / SCART / AV MULTI (using the AV Multi cable that came with the PS3) and see if you experience the same problems.

Also, is the loss of sound from just the XMB, or are you also not hearing sounds from any games, music & videos on the HDD, DVDs, and Blu-rays?

Also, try turning on your PS3 and if you can't hear any sounds, keep your PS3 on but try turning off and back on the TV. If the sound comes back on, then the problem is likely an HDMI handshaking issue... although what you describe still doesn't quite make sense, but with some more details and testing I'm sure we can all figure this out for you.

So I turned off the console last night through XMB as I always do and guess what, no sound today. When I lose sound, I don't have sound in the menu or in the games, nothing. My settings are:
HDMI Cable
-Dolby Digital 5.1
-Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1khz
-Linear PCM 2 Ch. 48khz

I tried playing around with the settings, I had no luck on getting my sound back. Then I tried using the AV multi color cable for sound, no luck. This is very frustrating! If I don't get this solved by tomorrow, I am calling Sony support. If they can't do anything, I will most likely exchange/return the system.

If you were wonder what TV I am using (100% not the problem, because it does have sound all the time) it is this one, Sony 52" BRAVIA XBR, pretty much top of the line.
http://www.abt.com/product/36864.html

So I turned off the console last night through XMB as I always do and guess what, no sound today. When I lose sound, I don't have sound in the menu or in the games, nothing. My settings are:
HDMI Cable
-Dolby Digital 5.1
-Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1khz
-Linear PCM 2 Ch. 48khz

And these settings never changed when you did the 5-sec system reset option which apprently is how you can get the sound to work?

Also, you didn't mention it, but did you also test the digital optical output?

What exactly did you do when you were playing around with the settings?

All of these may very well help identify the problem you are having.

And these settings never changed when you did the 5-sec system reset option which apprently is how you can get the sound to work?

Also, you didn't mention it, but did you also test the digital optical output?

What exactly did you do when you were playing around with the settings?

All of these may very well help identify the problem you are having.

No settings have changed after 5sec reset.

I did not test the optical output, I do not have a cable for that.

I tried turning some things off, turning others on, etc.

BTW, If I turn the system off and turn it back on within a shot period of time, I will have sound. If the system is not used for couple hours or more, I don't have any sound!!!!!!!

I did not test the optical output, I do not have a cable for that.

If you can't borrow one from a friend, you can buy them for less than $5,a nd probably can return them afterwards depending on where you buy them assuming the cost is an issue.

I tried turning some things off, turning others on, etc.

Without knowing exactly what you did I can't help.

BTW, If I turn the system off and turn it back on within a shot period of time, I will have sound. If the system is not used for couple hours or more, I don't have any sound!!!!!!!

If you know anyone with a PS3, I would ask them to bring it over and set it up EXACTLY the way you have yours and see if it does the same thing.

Without knowing exactly what you did I can't help.

I really didn't know what to change, so I just played around a bit. Tonight I am going to hook the PS3 up to my other TV, through AV cables because it doesn't support HDMI. I am going to use it for a little bit, and I will shut it off. Tomorrow after school if the system won't have any sound once again, I seriously don't know wtf I am going to do.

Back