Lost all progress since Microsoft outage

Australia
Sydney
XxHighWayStarXx
Since the outage the other day I have lost all progress. I have re-booted & hard re-booted but the game now starts from the very beginning.
This is not good, I was level 25 & completed about 50% of the career.

What's happened?

Last edited:
Since the outage the other day I have lost all progress. I have re-booted & hard re-booted but the game now starts from the very beginning.
This is not good, I was level 25 & completed about 50% of the career.

What's happened?

I have uninstalled & re-installed it but it's still loading the game without any of my progress or saves. This is crap, basically just wasted my time.
Is there anything that can be done to retrieve this "lost" data (I thought it was saved to the cloud) , or is starting from scratch my only option?

I'd like to assist but I'm on PS4 and that does back up to Sony servers - if you set it to. I'm sure there is a MS equivalent, although perhaps it's been overwritten by now?

Someone else might know.

@PJTierney I know your're a XBox guy, any ideas at all?

I'd like to assist but I'm on PS4 and that does back up to Sony servers - if you set it to. I'm sure there is a MS equivalent, although perhaps it's been overwritten by now?

Someone else might know.

@PJTierney I know your're a XBox guy, any ideas at all?

Thanks, any help would be great as I don't really want to start all over again.

I don't know if this is a Gold-only thing, but in theory your save should be in the cloud so that no matter what Xbox you log in on in the world, you can sync your save.

If that save has been overwritten, you're kind of screwed though.

@FernandoM76 is the SMS guy, maybe he knows more.

How does the save get overwritten/wiped out? Is this a common occurrence when an outage happens?
I've never lost a whole game's progress before and it's pretty much killed any enthusiasm I had for the game.
If it was due to a mistake I had made then I could handle it, but to just have all your efforts disappear overnight is absolutely ridiculous.

Game saves are on the hard drive & the cloud, even if you delete your game & save file from the console it's still there on the cloud (unless you actually tell it to delete from the cloud) which you have to go through a few button presses to do.

So when the servers went down all you should've lost is the most up-to-date save being uploaded to the cloud, your console however should still contain the most recent save, then once connection is backup your console will automatically upload the most recent save to the cloud.

You shouldn't have lost any save files just because xblive dropped off line, (I was actually racing in PC2 online when this happened)

2 things may/might of happened, one of these I've done myself many times is accidentally started a game under a guest account & found the whole game reset, but then realised & signed back in under my account & all was well (this happens because the kids play 2 player games then forget to sign the guest out)

The other thing that could've happened is somehow you've managed (through no fault of your own) to actually start the game from fresh under your account & unfortunately overridden your old save, but I really can't imagine how this would be possible because you would always have the original local save on the hard drive.

To be honest out of all the time xblive has gone down while I've been online the only things that happen is I get disconnected.

Last edited:
How does the save get overwritten/wiped out? Is this a common occurrence when an outage happens?
I've never lost a whole game's progress before and it's pretty much killed any enthusiasm I had for the game.
If it was due to a mistake I had made then I could handle it, but to just have all your efforts disappear overnight is absolutely ridiculous.
If you played offline and it had an issue connecting/retrieving from the cloud it might ask if you that the only way to progress with the game offline is to make a new file. If you did that, even on accident, it will create a brand new save file which will likely overwrite your original cloud file once it finally connects back to the internet/Microsoft servers. I accidentally made this mistake with Forza Motorsport years back.

If it wasn't that, it was just a glitch - Which I assume is much rarer than the issue I noted above.

EDIT: I was tree'd, but I can't even call it that, because it was a full 10 minutes before I even responded :lol:. Basically what @Mr Grumpy is saying.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies, I agree with them, that's why this is so annoying because on the morning of the outage all I did was try to login as per normal.
After a few tries & getting the same message (unable to login, try again later) I simply shut down the console.
I didn't try to login again until the next morning which is when I discovered that the game was starting from the very beginning.
I only have the one account so I don't login with any other, & I definitely didn't delete or save anything that morning.
Looks like it's a one in a million glitch then.

Still worth heading to the Project CARS 3 website and submitting a support ticket though, maybe they can investigate.

Back