Lotus CEO claims the brand will soon produce SUVs and crossovers in an interview.

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 29 comments

Turbo

(Banned)
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey
CEO of Lotus, Jean-Marc Gales, said this in an interview:

“I'm fairly sure with the Geely parts bin at our disposal, we can design a Lotus crossover that has unique lightweight features, aerodynamics and handling that befits the Lotus brand. We are not just tied to sports cars, which is a fairly stable market worldwide. What is growing at double-digits, however, is the SUV market, especially the premium SUV market".

These vehicles, however, will rely mostly on Geely parts and will be built in China.

Gales went on to reveal that he is thinking of Lotus SUVs in a “couple of sizes”, indicating that more than one crossover from the brand could be produced.

Official Lotus crossover patents:

Lotus-SUV-Patents-1.jpg

Lotus-SUV-Patents-2.jpg

Lotus-SUV-Patents-3.jpg
Lotus-SUV-Patents-4.jpg

http://www.carscoops.com/2018/01/lotus-ceo-all-but-confirms-suv-is-coming.html

Nothing about that design really says Lotus to me. If anything it looks more like an odd mashup of a Nissan and a late-2000s Dodge.

Also, does this guy realize that saying these will be made from the "parts bin" isn't a compliment? Calling something a parts bin vehicle implies it's using leftovers from other vehicles and doesn't have much thought put into its design.

Calling something a parts bin vehicle implies it's using leftovers from other vehicles and doesn't have much thought put into its design.

Kind of gives the impression of a desperate attempt to get rich quick. That it's an SUV seems to back up the notion.

Kind of gives the impression of a desperate attempt to get rich quick. That it's an SUV seems to back up the notion.
Sports SUVs are the current trend, especially for companies trying to increase their presence in China where powerful vehicles with lots of legroom and fancy gadgets are highly favored among the well-to-do. And given that this will be made primarily of Chinese parts... yeah, not surprising in the least.

RIP Lotus, again.

Considering the fury at which SUV and Crossover vehicles are selling at, this is probably a smart business move. Trying to just sell superlight weight sports car probably isn't the best way to turn a sustainable profit. Making something that will sell well and generate more revenue means they can continue to make lightweight sports cars without worrying about keeping the lights on.

Considering the fury at which SUV and Crossover vehicles are selling at, this is probably a smart business move. Trying to just sell superlight weight sports car probably isn't the best way to turn a sustainable profit. Making something that will sell well and generate more revenue means they can continue to make lightweight sports cars without worrying about keeping the lights on.

That I understand, but the "Lotus" name and marque that we came to know and love is probably the furthest thing removed from this current iteration or product. But like everything else, we can only know until we actually see the final product.

For those who think that Lotus entering the SUV/crossover market is a dumb idea, look at the way Porsche turned out. Without the Cayenne added to the lineup 15 years ago or so, chances are they wouldn't be as known as they are today, or Porsche may not even exist! The Cayenne and Macan are more profitable than all of the sports cars and Panamera combined. With all of the added profits from the SUVs successful sales, Porsche would be more able to invest in new technology features and new models.

Considering how popular SUVs and crossovers are, and competitive the market is, the addition of these vehicles to Lotus's lineup can do no harm.

I'm cool with this as long as it doesn't affect their sports cars line up, this is what helped Porsche back on its feet along with the Boxster after all.

But Jesus, this design looks very generic, and with "parts from the trash bin" to make it even more bland...I believe they should be rethinking some ideas...

If this is what keeps the lights on in Hethel, I am more than okay with it. The people that claim this is a death knell were very likely never a potential Lotus customer anyway.

I'm just surprised there wouldn't be any part-sharing from Volvo.

For those who think that Lotus entering the SUV/crossover market is a dumb idea, look at the way Porsche turned out. Without the Cayenne added to the lineup 15 years ago or so, chances are they wouldn't be as known as they are today, or Porsche may not even exist! The Cayenne and Macan are more profitable than all of the sports cars and Panamera combined. With all of the added profits from the SUVs successful sales, Porsche would be more able to invest in new technology features and new models.
I would be inclined to agree with you, but Porsche hasn't been mismanaged nearly as badly as Lotus has over the same time period (let us not forget that ill-advised attempt at returning to Formula 1), and the Cayenne and Macan are entirely Porsche designed and built, not Chinese "parts bin" vehicles with a different badge on the front. Lotus is also coming in at a time where the Sport SUV market is starting to get crowded, so their offering will have to be priced very competitively to draw any attention from the more established vehicles already on the market and depending on the overall quality of the vehicle, that could cut into any potential profit noticably.

I'm not going to say this is a make-or-break scenario, but it definitely feels more like an attempt to just stay relevant than the first step in a return to the glory days. I'm definitely hoping to be proven wrong about it though, because the last thing any of us want to see is another famous European name sputter out and vanish.

Love it.

Sports SUVs are the natural progression for sports car manufacturers. Modern sports cars are so far beyond the limits of the road, and even on the track, they're beyond the limits of 99.9% of everyone's driving abilities. Does it sell more units if your car is a little faster? I don't see why to be honest.

The new challenge is to design a fast sports-car-feel vehicle that can go over potholes, speedbumps, snow, rocks, even the occasional rutty dirt road. Its' the no-compromises solution. I want a car that can haul my kids in any conditions and still feel incredible to drive. It's the car for people that don't want a dedicated sports car, they want their daily to do it all. It should sell better. It's more capability for the road.

I rarely believe a thing Lotus says anymore, remember these...

upload_2018-1-16_16-49-24.png

2010 Elise, Elan, Esprit, Eterne and Elite concepts, said they were going to go into production in the next few years, all vapourware. So they still plod along making the old Elise which is kind of embarrassing with its 90's technology and parts bin. The Evora is OK but has sold terribly because its such bad value for money.

If this SUV does get produced the only thing Lotus about it will be the badge but it will probably sell well. To be fair it doesn't look that bad style wise.

Last edited:
I rarely believe a thing Lotus says anymore, remember these...

View attachment 706890

2010 Elise, Elan, Esprit, Eterne and Elite concepts, said they were going to go into production in the next few years, all vapourware. So they still plod along making the old Elise which is kind of embarrassing with its 90's technology and parts bin. The Evora is OK but has sold terribly because its such bad value for money.

If this SUV does get produced the only thing Lotus about it will be the badge but it will probably sell well. To be fair it doesn't look that bad style wise.

...Huracan...

2010 Elise, Elan, Esprit, Eterne and Elite concepts, said they were going to go into production in the next few years, all vapourware.
That was Dany Bahar. He was about three CEOs ago, and two companies ago - Lotus was owned by Proton in 2010, bought by DRB-Hicom in 2012 (shortly after Bahar's sacking), and is now owned by Geely.

2010 Lotus isn't 2018 Lotus.

That was Dany Bahar. He was about three CEOs ago, and two companies ago - Lotus was owned by Proton in 2010, bought by DRB-Hicom in 2012 (shortly after Bahar's sacking), and is now owned by Geely.

2010 Lotus isn't 2018 Lotus.

"Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked."

Not necessarily news, but here is what detailed rendering of what a Lotus SUV could look like:

Looks to be about the size of a Porsche Macan. If Lotus builds a crossover around that price range ($50k) and boasts Macan-like performance, I don't see what could possibly go wrong.

I take it they are aiming for 800KG right? It's like Rolex releasing a Casio G-Shock rival. Worse still, Marchione has confirmed Ferrari will launch a SUV in 2019/20. And possibly an all electric car at some point. You disgrace Enzo.

I take it they are aiming for 800KG right? It's like Rolex releasing a Casio G-Shock rival. Worse still, Marchione has confirmed Ferrari will launch a SUV in 2019/20. And possibly an all electric car at some point. You disgrace Enzo.
Your post is all sorts of wrong. How on earth can you get a crossover to just 800kg? Not even the Nismo Juke RS is under 1000kg, and even the Elise weighs more than 800kg now, so you're talking out of your rear.

What on Earth is wrong with Ferrari entering the SUV market? Sorry to rain on your parade honey, but SUVs and crossovers are the future. The market has gravitated towards them, plus they can bring in immense profits to the brand (Porsche as an example) if executed right. Why not give the Urus some competition?

Electric-powered vehicles are becoming the new norm now too. Electric motors are far more efficient, and many can pump out more horsepower and torque than a traditional V8 or V10.

The auto industry is transforming rapidly, and the last thing it needs is ignorant-minded people that slow down this change.

Your post is all sorts of wrong. How on earth can you get a crossover to just 800kg? Not even the Nismo Juke RS is under 1000kg, and even the Elise weighs more than 800kg now, so you're talking out of your rear.

What on Earth is wrong with Ferrari entering the SUV market? Sorry to rain on your parade honey, but SUVs and crossovers are the future. The market has gravitated towards them, plus they can bring in immense profits to the brand (Porsche as an example) if executed right. Why not give the Urus some competition?

Electric-powered vehicles are becoming the new norm now too. Electric motors are far more efficient, and many can pump out more horsepower and torque than a traditional V8 or V10.

The auto industry is transforming rapidly, and the last thing it needs is ignorant-minded people that slow down this change.
Um clearly my 800kg comment was ironic. Lotus is about lightweight isn't it? What's wrong with Ferrari releasing a suv is that they will surely have to sell a lot to make the money that has brought them to this decision, thus diluting the brand. Ferrari is not about sport utility veichles. This is disrespecting the founder of the company.

As for electric being more powerful than V10s, who the hell cares? If that was important to what makes people love Ferrari's or other cars then older Ferrari's would not be sought after or loved. The sound of the engine is a big part of the emotion. Of course Ferrari will eventually have to go that route if there's no market for petrol engines in the futur.

Ferrari is not about sport utility veichles. This is disrespecting the founder of the company.

Companies either need to evolve, adapt, or die out. It doesn't matter what they were originally about, if they want to continue making money then need to follow the market trends. Plus, Ferrari is now a publicly traded company (I'm a share holder), and due to that they have a responsibility to their share holders to turn a profit.

As for electric being more powerful than V10s, who the hell cares? If that was important to what makes people love Ferrari's or other cars then older Ferrari's would not be sought after or loved. The sound of the engine is a big part of the emotion. Of course Ferrari will eventually have to go that route if there's no market for petrol engines in the futur.

Actually, lots of people care. If people didn't care about power than there'd be no need to hype the numbers. If Ferrari can produce an electric SUV and market it as the world's fastest, beating out the Urus, then they win that market segment.

Not necessarily news, but here is what detailed rendering of what a Lotus SUV could look like:

Looks to be about the size of a Porsche Macan. If Lotus builds a crossover around that price range ($50k) and boasts Macan-like performance, I don't see what could possibly go wrong.

To heck with the naysayers, that looks fantastic.

Back