Lotus elise 111r - reducing lift off oversteer

• Thread starter J-PaP
  • 10 comments
Australia
Australia
J-PaP
It's a great little car to drive but on fast turns I found the car has major lift off oversteer. What is the best way to reduce this? I've noticed it also occurs if I start to slipstream through a turns so rather than just increasing rear downforce i'm looking for a mechanical grip solution. Increasing rear toe in helped slightly but what else can help? Do you do the same things as reducing over steer during acceleration?

Increase rear downforce, do your braking before you turn in, and when you do turn in be on the throttle. Not all the way but just a little. Be smooth. Use staggered tires if you have to.

How about without playing with downforce? If I hit a slipstream mid corner theres no saving the car so it would probably be even worse if I use downforce to fix the problem?

You may want to adjust the rear toe to be slightly more "in". This will help in keeping the rear in check. Also, Suzuki is right. Some rear downforce should help a bit, as well.

;)

All you really can do is adjust toe so its more s table, soften up the rear spring rate, and learn to drive a lightweight MR which is a hard thing to do.

thanks. yeah I'm not use to a car with so much lift off oversteer and need to adjust my driving style for it. I'm probably too aggressive under braking as well.

Indeed.

Lightweight Mid-engined rear wheel drive cars (or any MR for that matter) have a tendency to "step out" when you "lift off" at the entrance and/or middle of a corner. You just have to learn to keep some amount of throttle present through the corner. It's not always easy, but nothing good ever comes easy.

;)

I actually thought that it partly is also because the car is such a short wheelbase? As the cappuccino tended to have a similar characteristic just nowhere near as severe.

I actually thought that it partly is also because the car is such a short wheelbase? As the cappuccino tended to have a similar characteristic just nowhere near as severe.

Absolutely! 👍

;)

for the tuned 111r running the read wind in the high 20s and frot in the low 10s. Theres a tad of understeer turning in but the cars more stable through the corner

Back