Love it.

• Thread starter Tool1312
  • 21 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Although it was with fewer cars on track ( Xbox one standard ) I can say that with some tweaking done with settings both on the controller and the car ( steering ratio ) I just had a very enjoyable but intense race at the Nordschleife full circuit with an Aston Martin Vantage GT3. Before I sorted the settings out the game was undrivable, so twitchy I even considered getting a wheel to make it better ( I still might actually at some point ). But now I've managed to sort it out and can drive with the gamepad. I know some car models are trickier than others but it's so much more enjoyable now.
In case anyone's interested my controller settings are.....
Steering Deadzone 2
Steering Sensitivity 22
Speed Sensitivity 95
Controller Damping 50

Last edited:
It still can get a bit snatchy if you throw it too much into a corner but that happens for real. Love the GT3 cars.

After looking around I'll give Speed Sensitivity a go at 75 to see if it helps catching a slide with a bit more lock.

I just did a little experiment regarding controller speed sensitivity & static fov, we all roughly agree that 75 does seem to be a magic number in project cars 2, so I did a little test.

I personally find that using static 75 fov with 75 controller speed sensitivity seems to give me a nice balance of control, slide & catching oversteer.

Anyways while conducting another experiment I noticed that if I reduced my static fov my controller became more sensitive (even though I hadn't adjusted it from 75 controller speed sensitivity) & if I increased my fov it became more sluggish (again still 75 controller speed sensitivity).

So lead me to try something, with a base of 75/75 static fov/controller speed sensitivity in mind I set my static fov to 50 but my controller speed sensitivity to 100, then I did the opposite set my static fov to 100 & my controller speed sensitivity to 50. Surprisingly all 3 of these settings felt exactly the same while driving/turning/catching slides etc...(although a bit weird regarding the extreme fov look)

My conclusion is this
Static FOV - Controller Speed Sensitivity
50----100
55-----95
60-----90
65-----85
70-----80
75-----75
80-----70
85-----65
90-----60
95-----55
100---50

This is based on the fact that I use 0 damping (yes with a controller)

Will all feel roughly the same (placebo? Probably)

(boredom setting in? Yes)

Last edited:
I just did a little experiment regarding speed sensitivity & fov, we all roughly agree that 75 does seem to be a magic number in project cars 2, so I did a little test.

I personally find that using 75 fov with 75 speed sensitivity seems to give me a nice balance of control, slide & catching oversteer.

Anyways while conducting another experiment I noticed that if I reduced my fov my controller became more sensitive (even though I hadn't adjusted it from 75 ss) & if I increased my fov it became more sluggish (again still 75 ss).

So lead me to try something, with a base of 75/75 fov/ss in mind I set my fov to 50 but my ss to 100, then I did the opposite set my fov to 100 & my ss to 50. Surprisingly all 3 of these settings felt exactly the same while driving/turning/catching slides etc...(although a bit weird regarding the extreme fov look)

My conclusion is this
FOV - Speed Sensitivity
50----100
55-----95
60-----90
65-----85
70-----80
75-----75
80-----70
85-----65
90-----60
95-----55
100---50

This is based on the fact that I use 0 damping (yes with a controller)

Will all feel roughly the same (placebo? Probably)

(boredom setting in? Yes)
I did basically the same thing as you somewhat just the other day. Took a LOT of time testing this. Weird.
My settings I stuck with were:
70 - FOV
90 - Minimum
120 - Maximum
70 - Min Speed
170 - Max Speed mph (Tailor speed settings to preference)

I assume you are saying that SS is your minimum setting?
I find at 75/75 my view is straight out the windshield almost outside the car. It seems that a sum of the FOV and the Minimum Speed Sensitivity is what you're after. And this is somewhat complicated.
If you go into practice, while you're sitting in the garage (or on track in club courses), you can change the FOV settings and see them on the screen.
Setting Minimum Speed Sensitivity to 100 gives you the same setting as your FOV setting. Setting the Maximum Speed Sensitivity gets you the pan out effect. Set this as high as you want it to pan out. Here's what I was playing with. As I have mine, setting 100 to 120 (maximum sensitivity) is closer than setting 90 to 120 therefore I tried mine at 90 to 120 to try for more effect while keeping my total FOV at around 65. A FOV at 70 but lowering the Minimum speed sensitivity is going to give me around a total of 65 FOV, and that matches up with my wheel on screen. I could get the same total FOV setting of 65 by setting FOV just at 65 and keeping minimum at 100, BUT, 100 is closer to 120 so I get less of the speed effect than 90 to 100 and the Minimum Speed Sensitivity overrides the overall FOV setting.
So, I could set my FOV at 75, Minimum at around 82 (I'm looking at markers on the steering wheel to line up for these numbers) and still achieve a 65 total FOV setting. 82 to 120 is yet even farther apart and thought I could get even MORE speed effect. Or more of this "brake effect" they claim in the description.
None of this matters in a sense.
All it seems is that when you have the speed effect enabled, it overrides, or I should say adds/subtracts to/from the initial FOV settings. The FOV setting gets you in the ballpark and the Minimum Maximum get's you the speed effect. After trying out these settings, I didn't notice the car to handle much different as long as I had my FOV at the setting I need of 65 for my screen size and screen distance. Setting it too high and I can't scale my braking and apexes right, too low and I can't see where I'm going because everything is too big.

I agree there is a sweet spot in the settings where it all comes together and the handling feels right.

Funny enough I didn't know until now, that those settings connected so deep, and actually never touched FOV options, because it felt alright with default.

I'm playing on static 70-97 and it works for me, really scared to change and disbalance this now. I'm too had Controller Damping on zero, no point to loose agility in game, when you can simply training it with fingers.

Also what numbers of FOV are closer to GT Sport in you opinion? I'll try them, if it's possible to replicate.

Default is fine if you like it. It's when you start messing with it, you go down the rabbit hole. I spent a day on this ****. LOL
m0105.gif

I have to say though, I now know there's no hidden secret settings or what not, I wanted to know and now I do.

Also what numbers of FOV are closer to GT Sport in you opinion? I'll try them, if it's possible to replicate.
That's part of the "thing" we're talking about though. GT Sports FOV settings are bad and you can;t change them. You have to be right up on the TV for them to work correctly so if that's what you're doing, then a total of around 75 - 80 should get you close if I remember. I haven't turned GTS on in a Coon's age.

So 70 FOV and a 97 minimum probably brings you around a 68-69 total. The FOV gives you the sense of when to break and hit apex and all that. Getting that wrong, you will loose a lot of tim on track. Get the FOV setup correctly first and then adjust seat forward, back, up down if you need to.
I set it to where I can see the top half of the cars steering wheel and display. Too far back like GTS and you miss out. Yes you can see the arms and the dash and stuff but lose out on the sense of being on/in the track. I used to like seeing the arms and the whole inside of the car until I realized how much better my times got and I could control the car when the FOV was setup correctly.

Last edited:
Default is fine if you like it. It's when you start messing with it, you go down the rabbit hole. I spent a day on this ****. LOL
m0105.gif

Day is fine, but spent only about a year to find my controller settings, and this is real ****:). 'Course won't spent another one on FOV, may be later when will burn out from online racing that finally can attempt without troubles.

No, I'm talking about speed sensitivity in the controller settings vs static fov (not steering sensitivity or min/max speed sensitivity in the FOV settings)

My test was static fov against controller speed sensitivity.

I've edited the above post to make it more clear.

Last edited:
No, I'm talking about speed sensitivity in the controller settings vs static fov (not steering sensitivity or min/max speed sensitivity in the FOV settings)

My test was static fov against controller speed sensitivity.

I've edited the above post to make it more clear.
OK, I see.
We did completely different things then. LOL
m0137.gif

@Mr Grumpy Did understood that and meant static 70 FOV and 97 Speed Sensitivity of the controller settings, in my post.

That's part of the "thing" we're talking about though. GT Sports FOV settings are bad and you can;t change them. You have to be right up on the TV for them to work correctly so if that's what you're doing, then a total of around 75 - 80 should get you close if I remember. I haven't turned GTS on in a Coon's age.

So 70 FOV and a 97 minimum probably brings you around a 68-69 total. The FOV gives you the sense of when to break and hit apex and all that. Getting that wrong, you will loose a lot of tim on track. Get the FOV setup correctly first and then adjust seat forward, back, up down if you need to.
I set it to where I can see the top half of the cars steering wheel and display. Too far back like GTS and you miss out. Yes you can see the arms and the dash and stuff but lose out on the sense of being on/in the track. I used to like seeing the arms and the whole inside of the car until I realized how much better my times got and I could control the car when the FOV was setup correctly.

Can't say they were bad for me, at least, because could freely play on them. Not to compare everything, I'm much faster in PC in scale of GT Sport, but general feeling of the race was better in GT. That's why pursuing to first replicate Gran Turismo to have comfort starting point of improvement.

Can't say they were bad for me, at least, because could freely play on them. Not to compare everything, I'm much faster in PC in scale of GT Sport, but general feeling of the race was better in GT. That's why pursuing to first replicate Gran Turismo to have comfort starting point of improvement

I was on a different page. Disregard for what you're doing. Mine was only for FOV settings. No controller.

@Beezer215 Still thanks on explanations, because I was interested in both.

Calculator says
Your FoV setting should be: 41, with this set up Resolution: 1920 x 1080 Monitor size: 40.0" Viewing distance: 120.0cm

Last edited:
For me it tells me FoV should be 47. I adapted to that and it does feel good but it still almost seems too close and the track seems too wide - some of that could however be an effect of the tunnel-vision. Never having driven a racetrack personally and tracks being wider than normal roads makes it a little tough for me to judge. I've backed the setting off to 52 recently but I'm not sure it's any better or worse. I miss being able to see the interiors but you get used to that, and the greater precision and immersion helps make up for it.

I'm still trying to understand why my driver's hands are so big. I back the point of view up a little more than I maybe should so I can see a little of the instruments and they are still huge. Like 25% bigger than mine. I've seen the same thing watching other drivers in other games using "correct" FoV when you can see both sets of hands.

I do hate not being able to see the mirrors though. Turning your head is a pain and sometimes you still have a hard time using them. Some cars you couldn't see them anyway so I'd enable the virtual mirror, but even then the super wide FoV on it was annoying - I so wish you could adjust that but I don't think you can. Now that I've lowered my main FoV I can't even use the HUD mirror, it makes my head explode trying to calculate how that tiny dot in it is only 15 feet behind me. So I have no choice but to use the "gamey" proximity arrows... which help but go away a little too early both front and rear in my opinion.

I guess any way you do it it's always a compromise somewhere. And I really should pick up another monitor for side views(I already have one, albeit small and 4:3).

That seems too much. Try matching the steering wheel to the screen. Also I have to look to see if PC2 is horizontal FOV or verticle.
I know some of you are using controllers but if you use a wheel, try to match the wheel to the cars wheel on screen.
I'm using somewhere around 65 FOV.
40's is too big.

Been messing. Knocked speed Sensitivity to 75 which is a lot better. Also messed with the FOV and seat until my head kept getting detached. Oops. So I disabled the seat adjuster and it's better. Just seeing exactly how many AI I can run without the physics going to pot !!

@Morgoth_666 the "correct" FOV is one that you're happy with not one you think you should use. Set it to what makes sense to you. If you find it more enjoyable with a wider view then great.

I've tried them all before settling on something I find I like. Mine with speed sensitivity on varies from 80 to 95, approximately.

@Morgoth_666 the "correct" FOV is one that you're happy with not one you think you should use. Set it to what makes sense to you. If you find it more enjoyable with a wider view then great.

I've tried them all before settling on something I find I like. Mine with speed sensitivity on varies from 80 to 95, approximately.

Yeah I'm fine with (me or anybody else) using whatever feels most comfortable. Narrower FoV gives you a somewhat more accurate view of what you do see, but a far less accurate view of how much you can see. The explanation of why it needs to be a certain way usually center around it not being what you'd see irl so it confuses your perception, but your brain adapts to that quite automatically... it's just changing what you're used to that takes a while to re-calibrate your head around. If you only have one display wider has its own benefits.

I've currently stopped being stubborn about how it has to be and am trying narrower views, after a bit of adjusting it does work well but as I said what the calculator comes up with seems too close to me(and the one I used has no stock adjustment for pCARS like it does for others, so it may technically need a tweak anyway). I may well back it out a bit more but not just yet.

I still wish you could change the mirror FoV though... seemingly no game lets you and I hate it in almost every game because it's always way too wide even with "normal" view angles. You can see a bit more to the sides but you have no idea how close they are until they are right on your bumper.

Back