Low speed skidding

  • Thread starter Thread starter alextehkid
  • 14 comments
  • 919 views
Messages
169
Messages
affemeister
Does anyone else find themselves taking 180s and 360s when hitting the grass at low speeds (below 50 km/h) with one wheel?

Its not like a car would do this automatically when one tire is off the road, but I find myself unable to control the car.. The 3 tyres that remain on the road should provide enough grip to safely get the 4th wheel back on the road.
 
Are you letting off the gas when that happens, and steering slowly? I'm pretty sure if you stay on the gas your 3 traction wheels will spin the car, and probably braking with only 3 wheels would spin it too.
 
The physics are correct. Learn to drive.
 
Meh. Seems like he already knows it all.
 
I gave him the benefit of the doubt judging by his screenname. Can you tell me if I'm correct, that acceleration or braking would both be bad? So you'd actually want the throttle cracked just a little to keep a constant speed while you try to get back on track?
 
Are you letting off the gas when that happens, and steering slowly? I'm pretty sure if you stay on the gas your 3 traction wheels will spin the car, and probably braking with only 3 wheels would spin it too.

Yeah I'm trying to remain calm and steer slowly. This seems to work when the entire car is on the grass. But you are correct. This usually happens when I'm driving recklessly. The 2nd NASCAR race got on my nerves, so I posted this :)
 
I gave him the benefit of the doubt judging by his screenname. Can you tell me if I'm correct, that acceleration or braking would both be bad? So you'd actually want the throttle cracked just a little to keep a constant speed while you try to get back on track?

Good point, didn't really see the screenname. If you only have one wheel off and you brake you're gonna make things much, much worse. Depending on the car and the wheel the gas might help or hurt. If it's a drive wheel that's off then gas would hurt, if it's a non-drive wheel then it wouldn't hurt and may help, but it depends.

The ideal thing to do is straighten up and make a very small steering correction to get back on. If you put in too much of a steering correction with a tire off, you'll overcorrect once you regain traction and go skidding off the other side. As soon as you're starting to get back on you have to start letting the steering straighten back up to keep from overcorrecting.
 
Pedal-Force
Good point, didn't really see the screenname. If you only have one wheel off and you brake you're gonna make things much, much worse. Depending on the car and the wheel the gas might help or hurt. If it's a drive wheel that's off then gas would hurt, if it's a non-drive wheel then it wouldn't hurt and may help, but it depends.

The ideal thing to do is straighten up and make a very small steering correction to get back on. If you put in too much of a steering correction with a tire off, you'll overcorrect once you regain traction and go skidding off the other side. As soon as you're starting to get back on you have to start letting the steering straighten back up to keep from overcorrecting.

Thank you. This is the correct way to get a car back on the road without creating an accident. I just got so fustrated since I seemed to be doing 180s with the NASCAR when trying to drive carefully. I guess I wasn't fast enough off the pedal, or the car already had momentum, and just continued on sliding once it hit the grass.

My screen name is actually not a description of my age. Guess I missed out on creating a serious nick to get acknowledgement on this forum.
 
While it can be frustrating, it is a correct representation of loss of grip from the grass. I was quite surprised when i dipped a tire off in my shelby cobra. It reacted just like i would expect a car in iRacing. They did get the grass and sand physics nailed down pretty well. Also, the closer to the limit, the more severe the loss of traction/spin will be. If you are on the limit of the car's performance, dipping a drive wheel off with the accelerator on should spin you like a top.
 
Good point, didn't really see the screenname. If you only have one wheel off and you brake you're gonna make things much, much worse. Depending on the car and the wheel the gas might help or hurt. If it's a drive wheel that's off then gas would hurt, if it's a non-drive wheel then it wouldn't hurt and may help, but it depends.

The ideal thing to do is straighten up and make a very small steering correction to get back on. If you put in too much of a steering correction with a tire off, you'll overcorrect once you regain traction and go skidding off the other side. As soon as you're starting to get back on you have to start letting the steering straighten back up to keep from overcorrecting.
Thanks, I hadn't even considered the drive-wheel aspect. Though I'm not sure it'll have any effect on my usual reaction of "freeze, don't make any sudden movements, and start praying." :)
 
While it can be frustrating, it is a correct representation of loss of grip from the grass. I was quite surprised when i dipped a tire off in my shelby cobra. It reacted just like i would expect a car in iRacing. They did get the grass and sand physics nailed down pretty well. Also, the closer to the limit, the more severe the loss of traction/spin will be. If you are on the limit of the car's performance, dipping a drive wheel off with the accelerator on should spin you like a top.

Ahh every time i went off even the slightest bit in iRacing it was FREEZE, STEADY, EASY, then minutely correct my steering, get back on the track, and keep going. haha I am very happy I have to do the same thing in GT.
 
Grass is like ice in this game...You wouldn't be spinning out doing 40km on grass in real life like you do in this game.
 
Back