LSD Settings

• Thread starter jamesnater
  • 18 comments
Ok, so I drift in real life, and that's what got me into gt4 drifting. BEcause in the off season (I live in WA), I need something to do. haha.

Only problem I have with GT4 drifting is, the 2-way LSD feels nothing like a 2-way in real life. Maybe a weak and worn out one. Instead, it feels more like a viscous-differential then a clutch-type 2-way lsd.

Example: In my car IRL, I can turn the wheels fully locked to the left or right, floor it, and once there's enough power in the rpms, it will break traction and start doing donuts. I then can counter and make my donuts bigger if I want to.

In GT4, this is not possible with the 2-way LSD. It's like I'm doing small grip circles. haha.

Is there anyway to fix this AT ALL?!

Just for fun... here's a GT4 clip of me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQB65bmrGpI

And here's real life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVyj3EjnPuo

I know I'm crappy at both. haha.

Nope, and it's like that with all differentials.

Ever notice that the arse end never gets squirrelly when you kill the tires in a straight line? Mhhmm, there's another limitation.

See comment on the real life vid.

EDIT: And there's no such thing as an off season. Just go sliding around empty parking lots! (Even better if there's snow on the ground)

Well, off season "track-wise". haha.

There's no parking lots big enough near by for top 3rd gear entries, heheh.

My new 240 is under-construction as far as drifting goes this winter. But I like your style!

The SR will help with the balls for sure... haha. On the first bank at that track, I was able to drift it in 3rd with the stock KA. That was the only footage I could find from my buddies. But the SR, well. Angle, Smoke, and Entry Speed will all be SOOOO much better.

Complaint 1: Bumps in the road DO cause wheelspin. It's much easier to light 'em up on a rough track than a smooth one.

Complaint 2: Supra grabbed because you just went from full lock to full opposite lock in less than a tenth of a second. And the shocks are too light to like that.

Complaint 3: The GT350 plowed because the drift was taken at too high of a speed for the fronts to still grab. That and it's a car that DOES NOT want to turn, EVER. He's correct on the braking=no lockup, but that's because GT4 has ABS on all cars. And YES, stopping the car WILL make it stop turning. Also, if the rear end is unloaded, the car WILL want to come around.

Complaint 4: Body roll ain't pronounced enough, you say? Drive the Volvo wagon. And a real Mustang would only bob a bit if the shocks were dead. That and the nosedive was all there. Go drive the GT350 in say, GT Legends and you'll see (Of course, that one's race prepped, but you get the idea).

Complaint 5: Yeah, it's a SHELBY. It's a lightweight pony car, not a musclecar. No wonder.

However, I do agree that GT4 is way off on most things, just not to the degree it's made out to be in the vid.

the vid on GT4 is pretty decent, didnt see the brake lights goes on..

IRL drift, was okay, thought it looks like you went a bit too slow.

i don't know much aobu LSD settings but im glad there's finally a new thread in this subforum

Well lemme tell you, if you get LSD to spin donuts, Your going to post an instructional video on EXACTLY WHAT TO DO, because no one else can... lol

The video nk4e posted is mine, and it isn't the first time it's appeared here. :) I'm flattered that he lets it do the talking for him.

Also, kudos to OP for his real-life drifting video. 👍

Complaint 1: Bumps in the road DO cause wheelspin. It's much easier to light 'em up on a rough track than a smooth one.
Wheelspin wasn't what I was looking for, because I knew I would get it -- you're right, bumps cause wheelspin. The point I was trying to make is that the wheelspin resulting from the bumps doesn't change your direction of travel the way it should, therefore, the bumps and the wheelspin they cause have little to offer in terms of difficulty, or realism, for that matter.

To put it another way, you already agreed with the point I was making:
Ever notice that the arse end never gets squirrelly when you kill the tires in a straight line? Mhhmm, there's another limitation.
So there's no reason for us to argue on that point. :)

Complaint 2: Supra grabbed because you just went from full lock to full opposite lock in less than a tenth of a second. And the shocks are too light to like that.
In my experience, a car that is oversteering and gaining angle (ie. not already beginning to lose the drift) will not grab so suddenly and immediately. The rear end still had momentum -- in fact, it was gaining momentum. Until you can rein in that rotational momentum, all countersteer will do is try to keep the car from spinning out from excessive angle. This is why real-life over-correction is often the result of too much countersteer too early, or too much countersteer for too long, not just too much countersteer.

One sign of a truly good simulator is when you can throw the car into a drift (hard), countersteer to full-lock, and either spin out in the direction you were drifting (ie. spin clockwise when attempting a right-hand drift) or slide to a stop sideways, neither recovering nor spinning out. Live for Speed is great with this.

Complaint 3: The GT350 plowed because the drift was taken at too high of a speed for the fronts to still grab. That and it's a car that DOES NOT want to turn, EVER.
Between lift-off oversteer and power oversteer, the front tires' grip shouldn't have been the sole limiting factor. I wasn't just turning the wheel and hoping for the tail to come out -- I was using the brakes and throttle in a desparate attempt to get some sort of angle. What did GT4 do? Understeer, understeer, understeer...

And YES, stopping the car WILL make it stop turning. Also, if the rear end is unloaded, the car WILL want to come around.
Braking oversteer and brake-lock oversteer are among the more-difficult-to-use and more-difficult-to-simulate ways to initiate a drift. I may have cut GT4 some slack here if Enthusia and especially Live for Speed didn't simulate both so beautifully. Still, especially with ABS on all cars as you said, it's absurd that I acquired zero angle on that corner, not to mention the odd-looking bit of very-low-speed understeer I got right before coming to a stop.

Complaint 4: Body roll ain't pronounced enough, you say? Drive the Volvo wagon. And a real Mustang would only bob a bit if the shocks were dead. That and the nosedive was all there. Go drive the GT350 in say, GT Legends and you'll see (Of course, that one's race prepped, but you get the idea).
Something as visual-based as this is much more subjective than anything else we're talking about here. I think it would better to agree to disagree on this point. :)

Complaint 5: Yeah, it's a SHELBY. It's a lightweight pony car, not a musclecar. No wonder.
If that's referring to the ability to power-oversteer, it has more than enough power to do so. In fact, the car's smaller size compared to the Titanic-like musclecars should make it more willing to rotate in a corner. ;)

However, I do agree that GT4 is way off on most things, just not to the degree it's made out to be in the vid.
I guess we should agree to disagree here as well.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, I'm afraid the only thing I can recommend is to find another simulator. :ouch: I personally think Enthusia Professional Racing for the PS2 and Live for Speed for the PC are two of the best, and both feature roadcars with street tires that make for good drifters. 👍

I've played live for speed on the PC, and with the G25 wheel. I fell in love at that point. The HARD initiations to full-lock, brake oversteer, and REAL clutch kicking... and more... it's all so awesome and much more realistic in its own ways. I have to say... it was way different from GT4, and took a while to adapt to.

Only thing is the computer graphics and the fps isn't consistent and really bothers me. Also, all their cars are fake. haha. And that's even more lame.

Another thing, I've built a racing cockpit thing with a real seat and all, big TV, and surround sound. So I really want something for my ps2.

I guess I'm SOL for now. Hopefully GT5 greatly improves their physics.

I think the genericars in Live for Speed get the job done, though I can understand your viewpoint and admit fully that Enthusia has a stronger hold on my attention partly due to its car selection.

Speaking of which, have you tried Enthusia? Not perfect in terms of realism, but still very good, and great for drifting regardless. It has a little over 200 licensed cars, including the 180SX.

This video may be relevant to your interests (made by GTPlanet member rsmithdrift, who no longer comes here):

Also, I made a "sequel" to the GT4 video nk4e posted, repeating the things I did in GT4 in Enthusia, which you can find here.

If that's referring to the ability to power-oversteer, it has more than enough power to do so. In fact, the car's smaller size compared to the Titanic-like musclecars should make it more willing to rotate in a corner. ;)

Well... You tested with an open diff. Open diffs just let whatever tire gets unloaded go up in smoke and stay spinning. So while there will be a bit of oversteer, it won't be as extreme as with a proper diff.

Well... You tested with an open diff. Open diffs just let whatever tire gets unloaded go up in smoke and stay spinning. So while there will be a bit of oversteer, it won't be as extreme as with a proper diff.
Does that Shelby have an open diff standard? I thought it would have an LSD (or posi as I'm sure the Shelby guys would call it). Either way, it actually doesn't matter because as you and I have already established, GT4 doesn't care much about limited-slip differentials anyway.

Also, I wouldn't call the oversteer abilities of an open diff "a bit of oversteer." In the right hands (and especially with a simulator as accurate as Live for Speed), they can do a lot. Just not long, super-high-angle smoke shows. ;)

The long, super high angle, high speed, smoke shows are the most fun! haha. So are there more aggressive LSD options in Enthusia? I sure hope there is... either way, you've convinced me to at least rent the game and test it out.

Btw, GT4 DOES have lift-off oversteer... you just have to be driving the right cars. The older Mazda Miata is well-known for it's lift-off oversteer in real life at mid to high speeds. It also exists in GT4.

I don't know. I thought it was neat when I first discovered it.

The long, super high angle, high speed, smoke shows are the most fun! haha. So are there more aggressive LSD options in Enthusia? I sure hope there is... either way, you've convinced me to at least rent the game and test it out.
Actually, one unfortunate thing about Enthusia is that its tuning options are rather vague. No parts, just different "levels" with upgrades to the engine, tires, and weight reduction, and then sliding bars for the suspension and drivetrain tuning. However, don't let that deter you, because it'll get the job done for the most part. Sliding the "differential lock" bar all the way to the right essentially equips a strong LSD, and if you want to allow a bit more slip you can adjust the bar accordingly.

I wish you luck in finding the game -- the public either never heard about it (poor marketing), couldn't control the cars, or couldn't understand the non-racing gameplay, so it bombed hard. If you have any more questions you should hop on over to GTPlanet's Enthusia forum and check out the FAQ, and if you can't find an answer there feel free to post a thread. We should probably get this thread back on track to something more GT4-related, as it is in the GT4 drifting forum. ;)

Btw, GT4 DOES have lift-off oversteer... you just have to be driving the right cars. The older Mazda Miata is well-known for it's lift-off oversteer in real life at mid to high speeds. It also exists in GT4.

I don't know. I thought it was neat when I first discovered it.
You're not the first one who has told me this, so I'll believe it, but it should still be more prevalent. :)

jamesnater
My advice is to just play it as it comes and not compare too hard too RL drifting or driving for that matter, hardout drifting is definatly possible in GT4 but it takes time to get around some of its faults.

One sign of a truly good simulator is when you can throw the car into a drift (hard), countersteer to full-lock, and either spin out in the direction you were drifting (ie. spin clockwise when attempting a right-hand drift) or slide to a stop sideways, neither recovering nor spinning out. Live for Speed is great with this.

Supras act like that in real life

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=wMZJ1E6BI0c :sly:

haha I know in the video he took his foot off the accelerator so it's not the same, just thought it was funny.

Back