Lucid Motors Air + Gravity

• Thread starter Obelisk
  • 169 comments
I honestly think he should sell Tesla to the highest bidder and concentrate on SpaceX.

This is by far the one and possibly only thing I think I can agree on with you about the subject matter. It's also probably beneficial to all involved if he did that.

I'm certainly glad to hear this has managed to get off the ground again. The EV industry absolutely needs growth and competition right now, especially with Tesla's stumbles this year pulling peoples' attention in the wrong directions.

Just please, don't end up like SSC and sit on an empty lot for the better part of a decade until total irrelevancy is looming.

I'm certainly glad to hear this has managed to get off the ground again. The EV industry absolutely needs growth and competition right now, especially with Tesla's stumbles this year pulling peoples' attention in the wrong directions.

Just please, don't end up like SSC and sit on an empty lot for the better part of a decade until total irrelevancy is looming.

I'm inclined to believe these guys (and this car) are the real deal.

Their #1 and #2 guys are chief engineer and chief designer, respectively, and they both have significant experience in the industry. They have their priorities straight. They seem to have an already-baked business model accounting for manufacturing and logistics. From what I can tell, the car is basically ready for showtime. It's been tested up to 235mph! The fact that Saudi Arabia just poured $1B into them gives me even more confidence that this won't be vaporware.

I wonder why it needs all that power and speed for a daily road car.

Even though people say that electric cars are not the future, I believe these cars are here to stay. At least Saudi Arabia believes in electric cars and electric power in general.

I'll be so happy once Tesla gets out of the news and companies like Lucid take over. Tesla makes sub-par vehicles (at least quality wise) and is ran by a complete asshat. Lucid seems more with it and per my buddy who works for them, they don't treat their employees like trash (he's an engineer though, I'm not sure about the line workers).
And who says when Lucid makes it to the top they don't treat their employees bad? Money and fame will change people. Lucid has just made prototypes and Tesla has made over 200K production cars, a small company will treat their employees differently then a big company. Go look how Amazon treats their warehouse workers, they are ok ne of the biggest most successful company in the world and the people who do one of the most important part are treated like dog 🤬.

Cause it's got to dethrone the king.
What is first thing people talk about Tesla other then being an EV, that's a fast car.

And who says when Lucid makes it to the top they don't treat their employees bad? Money and fame will change people. Lucid has just made prototypes and Tesla has made over 200K production cars, a small company will treat their employees differently then a big company. Go look how Amazon treats their warehouse workers, they are ok ne of the biggest most successful company in the world and the people who do one of the most important part are treated like dog 🤬.

They might, but they currently don't treat their people bad, at least not on the engineering side of things.

And Elon Musk was always a terrible person. Money and fame just made it public.

Even though people say that electric cars are not the future, I believe these cars are here to stay. At least Saudi Arabia believes in electric cars and electric power in general.

I think the power and speed is more of a byproduct of large capacity batteries. I imagine they could limit the power draw, but where's the fun in that?

Lucid Motors closes $1 billion deal with Saudi Arabia to fund electric car production

Genuinely excited about this! Have really liked the design of the Air and Telsa really, really needs some competition.

edit: I didn't realize this, but Lucid's has a very talented designer in the form of ex-Mazda design chief Derek Jenkins, who was responsible for the ND Miata and most other contemporary Mazdas. No wonder the Air looks good.

Edit: Is it also crazy that Lucid's HQ is less than 2,000ft from Tesla's Fremont site? I feel like that's a little crazy.
So does that mean that they were the one who got Musk's "secured" funding instead?

I spoke to one of Lucid's engineers back when they did their top speed test at TRC in Ohio. After their test they came down to OSU to visit the student project center. We didn't talk about anything important other than the guy was also on an FSAE team back in the day.

I think Lucid has a serious high-end product that will challenge the Tesla Model S and require Tesla to push their car to the next level for the next generation. Lucid will be the Rolls Royce to Tesla's Mercedes...just that little bit more special, but you pay for it.

It's good to see they've got money. Now they can learn from Tesla's logistical mistakes.

Been in a few of them. Nothing ever stood out to me as terrible. No worse than any standard A to B car on the road.
I've been in a few as well. The Model X is wonderful. The S and 3 not so much. The rear seat of the Model 3 is a joke, with zero thigh support from the bottom cushion and a painfully upright back cushion. It's like they want you to fall forward out of the seat or something. The Model S isn't much better...I would hate riding in the back seat of these cars for any amount of time. Also, the seats of the Model 3 are oddly large, the back rest being enormously tall. I'm 5'11" and thin, and the top of the shoulder rest is where my head is. So they've designed the seats to fit large people, but the actual driver's area is not necessarily larger than any other car. The driving position was fine, but the seat itself made it rather odd. It honestly felt like a caricature of a normal seat it was so large. The trunk in both cars is big enough to sacrifice some space for a sane rear seat angle.

Last edited:
Quietly hyped for Lucid. I like that they've been flying under the radar but they look to have a thoroughly well crafted product. Anxious to see the production version.

Their assembly factory in my town is well under construction at the moment.
Stopped by on the way home from work to check the progress.

IMG_20200224_170535.jpg

Seeing actual building framework is definitely a good sign. There's little chance it's going to be left sitting idle now, barring a massive financial collapse or corruption scandal or something like that.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing what they present in April, and interested to see if Elon deems it noteworthy enough to try and divert attention from it.

Seeing actual building framework is definitely a good sign. There's little chance it's going to be left sitting idle now, barring a massive financial collapse or corruption scandal or something like that.
Funny you say that, there's another building under construction in my area that had that happen. Now it's an incomplete building just sitting there.

phoenixmart-progress.jpg

Funny you say that, there's another building under construction in my area that had that happen. Now it's an incomplete building just sitting there.

phoenixmart-progress.jpg
I guess that sculpture out front represents the black hole that all of the funding disappeared into. :lol:

Seriously though, with the amount of money that Lucid has backing them, I doubt they'll suffer the same fate.

Motor Trend rides along to test the range from the Lucid HQ to Laguna Seca

They tested Airs on the track. They'll probably show that in the future which will be interesting.

They drove a total of 450 real world miles with 7% battery left

The cult of Tesla is on full display in the comment section of that video. Goodness.
But at the same time, that shows the car has gotten enough attention that they feel it's necessary to defend Lord Elon's honor. If nobody was bothering to say anything, that'd be more worrying in my opinion.

Back