Lucky to be in Adelaide

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by de_Momus, Jan 8, 2019.

1. de_Momus

de_Momus

I have been waiting for Fanatec’s Podium wheel to come out – compatible with GT Sport that is – and it seems it will not be ready until at least May 2019. In the meantime my Thrustmaster T300 RS is starting to show its age, and as I am very keen on progressing to a proper load-cell brake pedal, I thought I would get half-ready by starting off with the Fanatec CSL Elite wheel and V3 pedals, and then upgrade to the Podium when it finally appears (could be a while I fear).

So I asked Hyperdrive in Glynde, near Adelaide, if they had anything that would suit both wheels bearing in mind the potential weight and strength of the Podium. They invited me round to their factory to look at some of their latest designs, and this immediately caught my eye.

E-SERIES-PRO-RS-1250X1250-2A.jpg
    It seems that they are already anticipating the Podium, and their existing rigs are more than up to the task already. A few days later, I brought my boxes of just-delivered Fanatec gear around, and Hyperdrive’s manager Sammy personally installed it all for me (see pic).
    PRO-RACER---FANATEC.1600X1067.jpg
    [​IMG]
    The frame is immensely strong and rigid and does not flex one millimetre. What I particularly like about it is that it is essentially a stripped-down version of some of their more elaborate rigs that cater for triple screens and advertising for sponsors etc. It is of professional quality, but is highly suitable for domestic use (and very affordable). Two people can easily pick the whole thing up and manoeuvre it around doorways and up stairs.

Hyperdrive make some very high-end gear like truck simulators for research institutes, as well as the racing sims you see at track and corporate events (like Mount Panorama). Check out the HD videos of the GT Sport e-series races shown on Australian TV (on SBS’s Speedweek program, which I expect most people, who would have been most interested, including me, missed). You can’t help noticing that the production quality is a cut above last month’s GT Sport world finals (see hyperdrive.com.au and go to Gallery>e-series).

Meanwhile I am adjusting to my unbelievably good new ‘racing sim’. The Fanatec/Hyperdrive synergy fully realises the magical brilliance of GT sport. The driving position is finely adjustable and combined with the precision of the steering, and realism of the brakes, it lifts the whole experience to a new level (and I thought I had a good setup before). It is so involving now that I have just bought a Sony X9000F 4K HDR TV (apparently optimised for gaming) and ordered a PS4 Pro (they are out of stock since Christmas) to do it justice. It will definitely be worth it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    DrVegas45, imported_rik19 and FPV MIC like this.
  2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie

I am heading to Adelaide for five nights next week to chill on the beach and do some shopping. Haven't heard of hyperdrive but I am waiting for trak racers 8020 rig to release, this should be bullet proof and will have quite a number of accessories to go with it. I ordered a dd1 so am counting down the days for it to release. Also have the LE F1 rim coming in a week or two and two sets of the podium shifters on order to go with the LE rim and whatever second rim I get down the track. Should be a good solid upgrade and will hopefully last long into the future.

deadhorse likes this.
  3. FPV MIC

FPV MIC

My wife is going to hate you :lol:. That's only a couple of kms down the road from my house and I never new it was there :boggled:... and I've just ordered an Ricmotech load cell mod for my aging home built rig, also considering getting the TM Handbrake Mod.... aaannnd they're Thrustmaster agents :eek:.

I can feel a new chassis and handbrake coming for my 'soon to be built' much, much larger man cave:gtpflag:

super_gt and deadhorse like this.
  4. de_Momus

de_Momus

You have to be strong. Wives can be so childish. I still remember the day my wife came into the bathroom while I was having a bath, and sank my rubber ducks.

imported_rik19 likes this.
  5. deadhorse

deadhorse

Damn didn't even know that place existed i was working in adelaide this year,the only enjoyment i got was throwing hammers at ice addicts in Elizabeth, unfortunately that was the only part of the state i got 2 see

6. deadhorse

deadhorse

Simworx in melb do good hanbrake/shifter combo

FPV MIC likes this.
  7. FPV MIC

FPV MIC

I'm more of a plug-and-play console type of person, but it does look like a nice piece of kit :tup:.