Lumina question

• Thread starter takumi64
  • 22 comments
I think the only RWD minivans were the Aerostar and the Astro/Express. Wait, was the wacky mid engined Previa FWD or RWD?

skip0110
I think the only RWD minivans were the Aerostar and the Astro/Express. Wait, was the wacky mid engined Previa FWD or RWD?

The Previa was rear-drive, though an all-wheel drive version was available throughout its entire life. In fact, by 1995 the majority of Previas were All-Trac all-wheel drive models (if you ever want to fool someone ask them what the only supercharged, Japanese all-wheel drive car is - it's the Previa).

The Astro and Express are two different models. Astro's twin was the GMC Safari, not the Express, which is a larger cargo van built by Chevrolet (whose twin is the GMC Savana). Both are indeed rear-drive (though the majority of Astros and Safaris have been sold with all-wheel drive for years) but most stop short of calling the Express a minivan (and if you were to include the Express in a list of RWD minivans you'd have to also include Savana, plus the Dodge Ram Van, Dodge Sprinter, and Ford E-series).

ND4SPD
And the earlier Mazda MPV's.

If you classify them as minivans.

We're talkign about the APV.

031009AMAN0020.jpg

It is entirely possible that your friend is talking about the overseas Chevrolet Lumina, based on the Holden Commodore and Monaro, which is RWD.

lumina.jpg

Duke
The Mazda MPV is a minivan, except Doug seems to think differently, for some reason I've never been able to fathom.

The current MPV is obviously a minivan.

But I absolutely categorically REFUSE to classify THIS THING as a minivan, just because the manufacturer wanted it so:

98mazdampv.jpg

I won't play lackey to manufacturers. Car magazines do it enough. By 1997, the MPV was a five-door (hinged of course - not sliding), four-wheel drive (NOT all-wheel drive) SUV. It was aimed at SUV buyers, styled like an SUV, and had interior and exterior dimensions of an SUV. It was actually a pretty decent SUV too, if you could get past the stupid minivan crap (I recommend them used - I love the styling).

Meanwhile, same vein: the Buick Rendezvous IS a minivan. Once again, the manufacturer can say what it wishes but when you give a vehicle a minivan platform, a minivan powertrain, minivan seating, a minivan ride, minivan styling, minivan dimensions, and upscale minivan options, it's a minivan. If it looks like a duck...

M5Power
But I absolutely categorically REFUSE to classify THIS THING as a minivan, just because the manufacturer wanted it so:

98mazdampv.jpg

I won't play lackey to manufacturers. Car magazines do it enough. By 1997, the MPV was a five-door (hinged of course - not sliding), four-wheel drive (NOT all-wheel drive) SUV.
That is just so biased. Maybe in the later years Mazda tried to put a crossover spin on their minivan, but just because it has 5 doors and 4WD (and you can find a picture of it mounting a rock) does not make it a SUV. The 1st gen Odessy had 5 doors--and it was very much a minivan. And the MPV did not even have 5 doors--it had 4...there was no rear door on the driver's side, just like a sliding-door minvan. The MPV looks much more van-ish if it's not sitting on a rock.
504495_2_full.jpg

skip0110
That is just so biased. Maybe in the later years Mazda tried to put a crossover spin on their minivan, but just because it has 5 doors and 4WD (and you can find a picture of it mounting a rock) does not make it a SUV. The 1st gen Odessy had 5 doors--and it was very much a minivan. And the MPV did not even have 5 doors--it had 4...there was no rear door on the driver's side, just like a sliding-door minvan. The MPV looks much more van-ish if it's not sitting on a rock.

The MPV All-Sport (the one I pictured) is the one I'm angry about - it was the 1997 and 1998 Mazda MPV. Indeed, the All-Sport model did have five doors, in addition to SUV exterior and interior dimensions, SUV styling, four-wheel drive, and an SUV ad campaign. The only thing that made it a minivan was Mazda, who said it was. Previous to 1997, MPVs got more and more SUVish as the years progressed, but I concede that those models were vans.

The first-generation Honda Odyssey and twin Isuzu Oasis had five hinged doors but minivan dimensions, styling and advertising. They didn't offer a six-cylinder engine, either, or all- or four-wheel drive.

takumi64
A friend of mine said the Chevrolet Lumina is a RWD car.
But I've heard from other people that it's actually a FWD. Is this true?

What year is his lumina because that are select few years where they did make a RWD performance model lumina with a w8 for a motor really rare if he has it tell to hang on to it. If it is any other motor that than W8 such as a v6 (2.8,2.5,3.1,3100,3.4 twin dual cam, 3400, or 3.8 series 2) that it is a FWD

5FW.jpg

Looks, just like a SUV :dopey:

Speaking of SUV's Anyone see that new SUV that is supposed to break all the previous boundries of SUV'S? It'll go over anything I mean it looks rugged as all hell
031022-E.jpg

031023-E.jpg

Not to mention you can offroad with a handicapped child strapped in the back!

Driftster
Looks, just like a SUV :dopey:

The funniest part is that you completely missed every single post I had on the topic:

M5Power
The current MPV is obviously a minivan.

M5Power
The MPV All-Sport (the one I pictured) is the one I'm angry about - it was the 1997 and 1998 Mazda MPV.

Not only did I say the MPV All-Sport (1997-1998 only, which I also said) was the only one I thought was an SUV, I even said the current MPV - whose picture you posted - was unquestionably a minivan. So all you did was prove your inability to read once again.

As I said - funny. :rolleyes:

People just have no sense of humor these days my goodness M5, for once look for someone's replies as something else than a blatent insult. Look at them for comedic irony. Or is it too much laughter risks prostate problems?

huh. british freind of mine said that it looked more like a Vaux Senator. tho this does confirm my suspicions. BTW...america had a Z version for the chevy.
mine was FWD...and underpowered. 140 something Hp/PS, probably 100kw?...pushing 4300 lbs/1950 KG of car around

Driftster
People just have no sense of humor these days my goodness M5, for once look for someone's replies as something else than a blatent insult. Look at them for comedic irony. Or is it too much laughter risks prostate problems?

I realize you said it sarcastically, but you meant what you said, which I found comedic because you chose not to read my posts but rather to simply reply, a tactic you've perfected.

would you consider a suburban a minivan if it had rear sliding doors instead of normal doors? would you consider the dodge caravan a "cross over SUV" (for a lack of a better description) if it had normal doors instead of rear sliding doors?

No, everyone's completely misinterpreting the things I said. The hinged doors were just one of about ten factors that made it an SUV - go back and re-read it. Hell, in that post I later said that the Buick Rendezvous is a minivan... and it has hinged doors!

Back