M5 vs Impreza Rally Car

  • Thread starter Thread starter SunsetSkyline
  • 23 comments
  • 1,543 views
Messages
58
Didn't know really where to post this, but I'mma post it here...

I did some laps around Tsukuba with the M5 and the Impreza Rally Car '03. The Impreza beats the M5 by roughly 2 seconds...

Do you recon that the M5, with racing tires, better brakes, weight reduction and etc., will be able to beat the Impreza (also fully modded).
 
I don't think the BMW will beat it because the subaru is a real race car and the BMW just a prototype.
 
Hmm, ok...i think you partially missed the point...i basically wanted to know if there is any chance that in GT4 (not in GT4P), fully modded M5 will be able to compete with the Impreza
 
Well sorry but it is abit of a bad question to ask as we don't have GT4 yet. But I still think the GT4:P results will be very similair to the GT4 results.
 
Why does someone compare a heavyweight M5 (~1.8tons and 500hp) with a lightweight Rallye(!) Impreza (~1.2 tons, 300hp)

Doesn't make much sense :crazy:
 
What? Ok. Impreza-fully modded.
M5-Not?


DUH! Of course. Even though the M5 has more HP, you've lightened the Impreza by a bunch. And try fully modding the M5 so weighs a lot less than it did.
 
I just like the M5 so much, hopefully the braking distance can be reduced with some mods...
 
Braking is one thing, but the engine is very lazy, you really need to floor it to get performance. So you would have to be able to switch to a better engine (despite claims that the V10 is brilliant). The impreza has a lot of low end power, combined with 4 wheel drive. You would have to do so much to the M5 for it to be able to compete with the impreza. And I don't think that much will be available in GT.
 
The Impreza also has downforce, a better gear ratio setting,
more torque and a engine that has a way better powerband
then the M5.

A better match-up would be against the M3 GTR racecar that
will be in GT4.
 
i love subaru, throw your m5 away. give me awd turbo anyday... i cant wait to start cruising around all the tracks in GT4
 
SunsetSkyline Didn't know really where to post this, but I'mma post it here...

I did some laps around Tsukuba with the M5 and the Impreza Rally Car '03. The Impreza beats the M5 by roughly 2 seconds...

Do you recon that the M5, with racing tires, better brakes, weight reduction and etc., will be able to beat the Impreza (also fully modded).

These two cars are very different, like a few people have stated already, but in my opinion its a good reason for them to be pitted against each other. I used to do that sort of car comparison in GT3 all the time. Stripping out heavier cars, changing the gears and ratios, making them stiffer and as nimble as possible. E.g. the Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R - it was good in a straight line (especially for the money) but not so good around a track. So I'd strip it out and make it into more of a track car, and it's lap times improved greatly (this is with no engine/power mods).

I'm not sure if a 'track tuned' M5 would be able to get laps times on Tsukuba equal to that of the Impreza Rally Car, but I think it would be close. If it was Fuji I'd put my money on the M5, purely because of the long straights were I think the M5 would have the advantage.

I'd load up Prologue now and see what lap time's I can get with these 2 cars. I'll post the results ASAP.
 
Yea, I tested them on Fuji aswell. I just did one 5 lap session, i messed up with the impreza on each lap :)...

my best m5 lap time was like 0.200 faster
 
Just finished testing the M5 and Impreza Rally Car around Tsukuba & Fuji. I did about 3 laps with each car and jotted down the fastest times.

Tsukuba
Impreza Rally Car '03: 58.590
BMW Concept M5: 100.298

Fuji Speedway
Impreza Rally Car '03: 135.421
BMW Concept M5: 136.551

So infact, despite my prediction the Impreza marginely beat the M5 even on the Faster Fuji Speedway track.

The way I see it, the main reason for the M5's slower laptimes are caused by much weaker brakes. The Impreza can brake MUCH later than the M5.

So in reply to your original post:- I deffinately think that if lightened and treated to a brake upgrade, the M5 could almost certainly keep up with (if not beat) the Impreza Rally Car.
 
Remko
I don't think the BMW will beat it because the subaru is a real race car and the BMW just a prototype.

In the game it is a prototype but I believe the new M5 is becoming a production model, a prototype no more.:)
 
I definetly agree with you that one of the main reasons the M5 is slower, is the fact that it has so long braking distance
 
The BMW M5 already is available on the market. And I think one of the main reasons why it loses to the Rally Impreza, besides that the BMW is a street-saloon competing with a rally-car built for cornering, is that Tsukuba is too narrow for that big, heavy car. So even when it's tweaked it might not be able to beat the Impreza on Tsukuba. But I'm pretty certain that it could beat in on Fuji with it's enormous acceleration and high top-speed, if tweaked properly.

And it's not true that the M5 has only little low-end-power. It is not much compared to the power it has at hight revs, but still it is a lot if you just look at the numbers.

By the way, I'm not a fan of BMW even if I'm german, so I really mean what I'm saying. I'm not just saying it out of sympathy for BMW.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
It is wide and big, it's heavy, it can't brake, and 500hp isn't exactly powerful for such a heavy sedan. It must be heavy if my dad's Roush Mustang weighs 4400lbs.
 
It is wide and big, it's heavy, it can't brake, and 500hp isn't exactly powerful for such a heavy sedan. It must be heavy if my dad's Roush Mustang weighs 4400lbs.
That depends. It's pretty much as much as you can get for a saloon in Europe, unless you buy a Brabus or an AMG Mercedes.


I got some figures from the BMW Website:

weight: 1830 kilograms = 4035 lbs
0-62 mph: 4.7 sec
0-125 mph: 14,4 sec
0-1000m (0.622 miles) = 22.7 sec
top speed: 155 mph (limited), unlimited: 185+

I wouldn't say that the BMW is heavier than other saloons of this size, nor is it slow.

Neither does Top Gear:
It's also said to be capable of lapping the Nurburgring's legendary Nordschleife in 8 minutes 30 seconds dead. To put that into context, when we last went to the 'Ring just over a year ago in six of the fastest supercars around, the quickest lap of the test was 8 minutes 31.42, by racer Barrie Williams driving an F355 GTS.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
I'm pretty sure that the M5 would beat the Impreza once fully modified... Mainly because the M5 hasn't had any mods done to it in Prologue... however the Impreza is already fully lightened, Racing gearbox - suspension and all the transmission upgrades and brake upgrades already applied to it. (As it's a full spec Rally car) The only upgrades that are probably available left to the impreza is a bit more power...

Once the M5 has been lightened and had some decent brakes fitted (Apparently the Production M5 has better brakes than the Concept M5 (BMW put standard 5 series brakes in concept and upgraded when they started producing it)) the M5 will be a force to be reckoned with.

C.
 
Do you like the look of the M5? Many people have criticised BMW's new styling, but I just think it is ahead of its time. People will look back and point out the new-range of BMWs to be the start of a revolutionary new styling spree.
(I'd still prefer an Audi, though)
 
Tom_Monaghan1
Do you like the look of the M5? Many people have criticised BMW's new styling, but I just think it is ahead of its time. People will look back and point out the new-range of BMWs to be the start of a revolutionary new styling spree.

I don't think (i hope) we will see many other manufacturers following BMW's latest styling spree, once Chris Bangle has been fired for 'crimes against peoples eyes' - these latest BMW's looks will just age quickly and look old fashioned in 5 or 6 years time.

back on thread.... as long as you can modify the impreza (increase H.P.) it will always be quicker than the M5.... unless the 'race mods' option is re-applied for GT4.
 
i dont reckon the bmw is that heavy compared to say an sl55 amg and the bimmer has a 7 speed box and a sweet sounding v10 but you cant throw it around or " it'll be a re morgate buy lunch time" :scared:
 
I respect both BMW and Subaru. So I'm in no position to judge on which is better overall. All I can say is, it would be a blast to race them at Citta di Aria, Paris (night course), and a tarmac rally I will probably enjoy the most- Costa di Amalfi. That is such a lovely environment to go racing at, even if for just two cars. If GT4 had go-karts, probably 10 or 12 of them would be able to go at it.

If I had to choose, I kind of have to side with the Impreza Rally Car. A thing to remember about 4WD is that in terms of performance, the car will be marginally heavier due to all the parts needed for the 4WD to function, if my GT readings serve me well. And since RWD offers better acceleration, BMW may be better at accelerating off the line. But we can always take them to Amalfi in Prologue or something.
 
Back