Mac version experiences?

Australia
Australia
Hi, new guy here :)

Has anyone tried the native Mac version of iRacing yet? Does it run flawlessly? The only info google provided me with was the fact that it was available,

I've just ordered a g27 to use with GT6 (i'm a recent convert from Forza), and when it arrives I'm very very keen to finally try out iRacing too.

Also, while I'm here, anybody care to recommend any noob-friendly leagues for either game? Compatible with Australian eastern timezone preferably :)

I'm running it on my 2009 C2D MacBook Pro with discrete Nvidia 9600m GT GFX card and with a G27, I've had no problems at all with it, it runs really good. It runs better on my 09 MacBook Pro than my 2013 MacBook Air, prob the fact the MacBook Pro has discreet graphics.

Graphic settings wise I have car / track details etc set to high with other intensive options (AA, shadows etc) off and I get 70/80 FPS, sometimes 100+ in TT so pleased with that considering I'm outputting to an external monitor at 1980x1080p full screen res too.
It looks ok, not GT level on those settings but acceptable trade did between FPS and GFX.

The App is a self contained 'Wine' port, so all you have to do is install and run the app then it will automatically fire up iRacing.com in your browser for you to do some races or TT's. It's not quit or anything on me all week since I've had it. Of course this is an internet connected game so make sure your internet is fast and stable.

As for the G27 there's no native Mac support so you'll need to decide if you want FFB or 900° Wheel rotation. I think 900° is more important so you'll need to go to feral's website (the folks who ported over GRID and F1 games to the Mac) and get yourself 'FreeTheWheel' app to calibrate the 900° G27 option each time you want to play. If you want FFB you will need to find the Logitech FFB kext file on the internet. Although choosing 900° over FFB means you don't have FFB you do still have centre resistance so it's not light or floaty to yank the wheel about.

iRacing forums have links to both files you need. All the buttons work and can be customised on the G27 in iRacing so go for it. I got 3 months free by using the CadillacCup.com offer.

Just wishes they'd of done a Mac version sooner, the technology has been there for years!

Cheers. Good to hear it works on the old MacBook Pro, should be fine on my iMac then :)

I'm aware of the lack of support for the wheel on the mac. I read also that using the FFB also disables the clutch and shifter, is that so? If not then hoorah! Hopefully Logitech will release a driver someday so us Mac guys can iRace properly.

What is this cadillaccup.com offer you speak of? I'd like to try it out before committing money to it if possible, but that site isn't loading for me.

Now if only Australia Post would hurry up with my g27...

My bad it's Cadillaccupracing.com for the code for 3 months free. (I inputted a random US postal address) And yeah it's FFB with no clutch and no 900° *or* 900° and clutch but no FFB. Hopefully Logitech get their act together for us Mac users soon!

I was using a 2011 Macbook Pro and it runs 60fps with all the graphics on high, also i managed to get the ffb and 900 degrees steering working at the same time. To do this you have to install the kext which is provided within an iracing FAQ then when its all up and running put the mac to sleep, when it comes back up you should have 900 degree steering. It works for me until Logitech provide us with the proper drivers.

I was using a 2011 Macbook Pro and it runs 60fps with all the graphics on high, also i managed to get the ffb and 900 degrees steering working at the same time. To do this you have to install the kext which is provided within an iracing FAQ then when its all up and running put the mac to sleep, when it comes back up you should have 900 degree steering. It works for me until Logitech provide us with the proper drivers.

This works for me too. A bit of a fudge and puzzles me how it is seemingly possible to have both FFB and 900º but only via a quirk and not natively... but for now will do!

I have an i7 2.3 quad mini HD4000 gfx 6gbRAM, I'm giving iRacing a pop.....Installed the FFB kext file and still only getting about 220º rotation on the DFGT...pants!! Maybe something I'm doing though...Hummmmm!

Game runs fine though, GFX disappointing but expected that given the spec of my machine but, easily 50-60 FPS with max quality on, I'll fiddle with those settings and try mavryk_gt's ...I've only had few test sessions so can't really comment yet on other aspects of the game....but I'm hopeful that when I fix the rotation problem it'll be worth having....even though there are alot of buttons :boggled:

Anyone here tried the Club 3D usb to DVi adapter or any other to have 3 screens...??

Last edited:
I'm using my MacBook Pro. It works ok. However, when I'm racing, I switch over to Bootcamp and run it in Winbloze because I need the FFB. The other thing that happened recently that I'm not happy about is my HDMI output from the Mac stopped working with the latest version of Mavericks. I used to just plug the laptop into the TV and then I had a nice big screen for racing. That no longer works and I'm not happy about it.

Back