MAD Racing Knock Out series - Interest checkDraft 

• Thread starter Mires
  • 8 comments
Slovakia
Malacky, Slovakia
MAD_Mires
no one
Hey guys, I'm thinking of a series of knock-out racing. Basic idea is to have a series of races (on a monthly, or bi-weekly basis) consisting of mini-duels of 2, 3 or 4 drivers (similar to Race of Champions), depends on how many drivers show up.

Event format should be one cca 10 minutes Time-Trial to determine grid ordering for next round. For example, if there will be 12 drivers, they will be divided into 4 groups of 3 drivers in round 1. To be fair, i would suggest dividing formula to fastest trio in TT to group A, next three drivers to group B and so on.

Each group should have one race of 5 laps for qualify to the next round till final race. Loosers from each race will have also some races to determine final standing, so anyone would have equal race time.

Car assignments:
Not sure if it is a good idea, but to spice things a bit i thought about assigning a slightly faster car to each spot down in every group. So there can be a chance for slower drivers to win some bigger points aswell. Plus, i thought, for round 1 the weakest assignments, till final with fastest cars chosen. (There will be some testing in need)

So, i am asking, will there be at least small interest in this? If yes, i would work on details for this series. If there will be enough interest, this thread will change from draft to open and will be the series home.

PS: hope you understood the basic idea and my bad english and hope we see us on the track.

Hey guys, I'm thinking of a series of knock-out racing. Basic idea is to have a series of races (on a monthly, or bi-weekly basis) consisting of mini-duels of 2, 3 or 4 drivers (similar to Race of Champions), depends on how many drivers show up.

Event format should be one cca 10 minutes Time-Trial to determine grid ordering for next round. For example, if there will be 12 drivers, they will be divided into 4 groups of 3 drivers in round 1. To be fair, i would suggest dividing formula to fastest trio in TT to group A, next three drivers to group B and so on.

Each group should have one race of 5 laps for qualify to the next round till final race. Loosers from each race will have also some races to determine final standing, so anyone would have equal race time.

Car assignments:
Not sure if it is a good idea, but to spice things a bit i thought about assigning a slightly faster car to each spot down in every group. So there can be a chance for slower drivers to win some bigger points aswell. Plus, i thought, for round 1 the weakest assignments, till final with fastest cars chosen. (There will be some testing in need)

So, i am asking, will there be at least small interest in this? If yes, i would work on details for this series. If there will be enough interest, this thread will change from draft to open and will be the series home.

PS: hope you understood the basic idea and my bad english and hope we see us on the track.

Hi Mires - I don't want to appear negative, but I think there are a few problems with this idea. Normally the approach which provides the most success is K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple) and this idea has a few complications.

The Time Trial mode requires a seperate room to the race modes - why not just use a ten minute qualifying session to determine the grid? (personally I use 5 or 6 minutes).
You are likely to get people turn up for round one who then miss round two or they turn up for round two, but missed round one.

If you are wanting to handicap drivers to create close racing, why not run a one make series for three rounds and then assign a car from a small range based on success in the previous rounds. Each car would have a difference in lap time of approximately 0.5 seconds on a typical 90 second lap. If you use 4 cars you could have a difference between the fastest and slowest car of 2 seconds. You could review the car assignment after every three rounds so if someone is no longer competitive they now get a slightly faster car whereas any "Alien" level drivers would stay in the slowest car. I am using this type of handicap concept in a series called "Cobra Ferrari Wars 2" later in the year - the idea was formed when I found via a previous series that the Cobra 427 was too fast for other cars in the game from the same era.

You can also use a system of "Guest Cars" to create close racing - I am currently using that in a race series called "Trans Am 1". The 1st and 2nd placed drivers switch from their usual car for the next weeks race and use a car which is a couple of seconds a lap slower (we use a Nissan Bluebird). This has not been completely successful because some drivers don't turn up to race - citing lack of motivation - when they are due to race the "Guest Car". It has however produced some very close racing and enabled mid-field drivers to race with the fastest guys in the room.

Just some ideas which might be a simpler way of producing close racing, which I presume is what you are after.

Hi Mires - I don't want to appear negative, but I think there are a few problems with this idea. Normally the approach which provides the most success is K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple) and this idea has a few complications.

The Time Trial mode requires a seperate room to the race modes - why not just use a ten minute qualifying session to determine the grid? (personally I use 5 or 6 minutes).
You are likely to get people turn up for round one who then miss round two or they turn up for round two, but missed round one.

If you are wanting to handicap drivers to create close racing, why not run a one make series for three rounds and then assign a car from a small range based on success in the previous rounds. Each car would have a difference in lap time of approximately 0.5 seconds on a typical 90 second lap. If you use 4 cars you could have a difference between the fastest and slowest car of 2 seconds. You could review the car assignment after every three rounds so if someone is no longer competitive they now get a slightly faster car whereas any "Alien" level drivers would stay in the slowest car. I am using this type of handicap concept in a series called "Cobra Ferrari Wars 2" later in the year - the idea was formed when I found via a previous series that the Cobra 427 was too fast for other cars in the game from the same era.

You can also use a system of "Guest Cars" to create close racing - I am currently using that in a race series called "Trans Am 1". The 1st and 2nd placed drivers switch from their usual car for the next weeks race and use a car which is a couple of seconds a lap slower (we use a Nissan Bluebird). This has not been completely successful because some drivers don't turn up to race - citing lack of motivation - when they are due to race the "Guest Car". It has however produced some very close racing and enabled mid-field drivers to race with the fastest guys in the room.

Just some ideas which might be a simpler way of producing close racing, which I presume is what you are after.
hey hey, thanks for your reply. I am opened to any suggestions which can help me to make a better series (this is my first try).

Yes, that TT idea was a bit odd, i thought about it later and i think better will be to have a one-make race with short quali to determine the group assignments, as you mentioned. Those car assignments i was thinking on the same basis, to find some groups which can compete against each other, so no big differences.

Anyway, didnt thought that this idea was that complicated. I'm still in process of developping details in my head, so there can be significant changes in possible final version. Any Ideas, suggestions are welcome.

Back