Platform
PC

Developer
Illusion Softworks

Publisher
Gathering of Developers
Take Two Interactive

The Story
Mafia is set back in the 1930's in America. You play as Tommy Angelo. Tommy used to be a taxi driver, but he ends up as a respected Mafia mobster. In the early stages of the game, Tommy manages to save two Mafia gangsters in his cab. After seeing how great of a driver Tommy is, he gets offered a job by the Don, Salieri. At first Tommy doesn't want the job, but later he is tracked down by another gang, led by Salieri's rival, Morello. Tommy takes refuge at Salieri's bar and then accepts the job offered by The Family. At first Tommy likes his job as a gagster, being able to get back at Morello. But when he is ordered to kill people he has befriended, gets involved in dangerous shootouts and mad car chases, he begins to hate it.

Graphics
Build around the LS3D Engine, the game delivers one of the most advanced car physics systems; including real time damage to cars. The 3D visuals aren't as great as they could be, with squarish bodys and in some cases, very undetailed clothing. However, fully motion-captured animations, facial motion and lip-synch technology makes up for this.

Music
Mafia has one of the greatest music compilations I've ever heard. The jazz music in the game really suits the 1930s theme.

Difficulty and Playing Time
Every mission something goes wrong, making what sounds like an easy mission - hard. You will be there for hours completing some missions. Don't expect to kill enemies with one shot in Mafia, as you don't have rocket launchers, etc like the ever popular crime sim - Grand Theft Auto. You are limited to pistols and a few explosives. This is what makes shootouts hard.

Overall
Graphics - 7
Music - 10
Difficulty - 8
Playing Time - 7

Overall, I'd give Mafia an 8, which means - go out and buy it now!

Screenshots
screen14.jpg

Tommy Angelo - the main character of Mafia.

screen84.jpg

The Family. Don Salieri is the one in white.

screen05.jpg

Blood. What Mafia is all about.

screen10.jpg

A 1930's exotic.

mafia is a excellent game after seeing this review i feel like finishing the game for the forth time:)

Back