Makeshift Shuffle - No Tuning RacesOpen 

One question though ... can you be night-blind ... in a video-game? Because I regularly have the feeling I don't see s... whenever it gets dark in a race. Is it just me, or do others also have that problem...?

Yeah, me too, but PD came close to the real thing here! I mean, IRL a typical low beam only illuminates about 60m ahead of you, and a high beam may come up to 150m, and that's just in a narrow cone in front of you. When you are travelling at 200 km/h (125 mph), that's about 60 m/s, then you have less than 3s to react when on high beam and less than 1s when on low beam. And if the usual track boundaries aren't visible / not reflective, you are really mostly driving by feeling at night.

No wonder that most fatalities happen at night, even if less people are driving then. :scared:

Yeah, me too, but PD came close to the real thing here! I mean, IRL a typical low beam only illuminates about 60m ahead of you, and a high beam may come up to 150m, and that's just in a narrow cone in front of you. When you are travelling at 200 km/h (125 mph), that's about 60 m/s, then you have less than 3s to react when on high beam and less than 1s when on low beam. And if the usual track boundaries aren't visible / not reflective, you are really mostly driving by feeling at night.

No wonder that most fatalities happen at night, even if less people are driving then. :scared:
The only track I hate driving at night is willow springs. You can't see the edge of the track at all because there are no barriers for the light to bounce off. The headlights just keep shining off into the desert without ever returning to your eyes.

I'm aware of the fact that one usually over-estimates the power of standard lights on a car, but nevertheless, at Apricot Hill I was driving through a corner without seeing the white line at the edge of the road not even 5 metres away from my car. And I'm pretty sure I should be able to see that.

I'm aware of the fact that one usually over-estimates the power of standard lights on a car, but nevertheless, at Apricot Hill I was driving through a corner without seeing the white line at the edge of the road not even 5 metres away from my car. And I'm pretty sure I should be able to see that.

Did you race in a darkened room? I mean really darkened, not only shaded? I think you need you rods kicking in, they are in the peripheral part of your eye, not where you look at. Otherwise the dark parts are really swamped by the ambient lighting.

PD also didn't get the retroreflection of the white lines quite right, normally modern road lines are painted with a special material that reflects light in the opposite direction where it came from. You can check that at daylight when the sun is low, go to a road maker line with the sun in the back and the shadow of your head touching the road markers. The parts of the road marker that are lit by the sun left and right to your shadow are really bright then.

And of course they can not simulate the secondary illuminance that comes from headlight bouncing off from walls and illuminating other parts of the track. You can see that pretty well in this video, at Quiddelbacher Höhe going to Flugplatz. IRL the road is illuminated not just by the direct high beam lighting, but also from high beam light reflecting back on the road from the walls and trees. Also there is a little fog, that also contributes to the lighting of the road. All that stuff is impossible to simulate in real time, so normally you just add some ambient lighting, you light all objects evenly from all sides. PD got that ambient lighting a little too low, so it is really dark on unlit parts.

I worked in that sector for a while. :)

One question though ... can you be night-blind ... in a video-game? Because I regularly have the feeling I don't see s... whenever it gets dark in a race. Is it just me, or do others also have that problem...?

I don't like driving at night either and have some problems too.:odd: It seems to vary from car to car depending on the light intensity of the headlights.

Concerning Apricot Hill yesterday I can only express my impression of the first laps till I got disconnected again:

First of all I have to say that overall brightness during day times was really bad principally. It was kind of misty and therefore pretty dark.:boggled:

It must have been on lap 2 or 3 when dawn was setting in but the automatic headlights had not been switched on yet. That was really awful!:yuck:
Even when the headlights were on finally it got not much better. After the track lightning got on it got better in my opinion. Actually the track lightning on Apricot Hill is pretty good.

RE: Night racing
I think Apricot Hill is actually very well-lit in the night. (I mean compared to other time-change tracks with darkness.)

RE: WiFi
Always less reliable than a hard wire connection from ps3 to modem/router.
Just the nature of it. More chances for interrupted connections.

Bridged routers are also more problematic than modem/router in one. (The more equipment you force the signal through, the more chances there are for signal loss.)

Also... I think it's good to keep all electronic equipment (especially modems/routers) spaced from power strips, plugs, and power cords, and other cords. (And ideally somewhat spaced from each other.)
Don't keep cords zip-tied up against equipment. I've seen people do this because they think it's "neat & tidy" looking, but I can't help but think this is a bad idea.
Especially the router/modem which is transmitting the Wifi signal... should not have cords & other equipment that may be emitting close to it. Keep the modem/router with distance all around & above it.

TODAY'S EVENT

Including quailfying instructions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday 12 March 2015
3:00pm US EDT / 12:00 noon US PDT / 7:00pm GMT / 8:00pm CET / 19:00 UTC
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spec - Vintage Variety Cup
Heavy Damage, No enforced pit stops
Comfort Medium Tires on all cars except Ford RS200 Comfort Softs
Qualifying Race: 2 laps @ Motegi Super Speedway (Manual Parity Forward Grid order, new members in front)
Race #1: 4 laps @ Autumn Ring Mini // Honda Z ACT '70 (Forward Grid Order Based on Previous Race)
Race #2: 4 laps @ London Reverse // Honda Life Step Van '72 (RGO)
Race #3: 5 laps @ Eiger Nordwand Short Track // Daihatsu Midget II D type '98 (RGO)
Race #4: 9 laps @ Motegi East Course // VW Karmann Ghia Coupe (Type-1) '68 (RGO)
Race #5: 6 laps @ Matterhorn Riffelsee // Ford RS200 '84 (RGO)

On the hour, vision checks will begin.
Once vision checks are completed, we will conduct the first qualifying race.

Grid start for the qualifying race will be a manual grid line up according to Forward Parity Grid Order, with anyone without a Parity Assignment yet being placed at the front of the grid, in order of arrival to the room.
(Anyone arriving after grid order is given & we've lined up, will have to take place at the back of the grid.)

Qualifying for grid order for Race #1 will be decided by the Qualifying Race.
Race 1 = Fastest First Grid Order Based on Previous Race

Qualifying race will NOT count for cup points, it will only determine the grid order for Race #1

Anyone who misses the qualifying race will wind up being put at the back of the grid for race #1.

I race in a room with black shades, a closed door, and one dim light -- and sometimes I still have a hard time seeing in dim conditions, especially dusk. Part of the problem for me, though, is an unequal distribution of rods and cones between the two eyes... my left eye has richer colour perception but is really weak at night, to the point that in faint light conditions where I can still just see with my right eye, my left eye picks up almost nothing in the centre portion of its vision. This imbalance in light gathering can be a bit disorienting; although the lack of depth perception that ensues is obviously not as much a problem when looking at a 2D screen, it's still an issue.

Some tracks are definitely worse than others... sector one at the Nürburgring GP track at dusk is really really tricky for me. Apricot is pretty good, but I was having trouble picking up my apexes for a lap or two in the race.

Nonetheless, I love night racing, and wish we did more of it. 👍👍

edited for an errant comma

Last edited:
RESULTS
Shuffle Mixer -- Series 16 -- Event 3
Tuesday 10 March 2015

1. snowgt / GTP_SnowCrash (22 pts) (2/0)
  2. culturalsnow / culturalsnow (22 pts) (1/1)
  3. amarynceos / GTP_amarynceos (17 pts) (0/2)
  4. watermelon punch / wat3rm370n (16 pts) (0/1)
  5. Patrick8308 / Patrick8308 (14 pts) (0/1)
  6. Goetz / johndoekillsyou (11 pts)
  7. temuster / temuster (10 pts)
  8. LongbowX / LongbowX (9 pts) (0/1)
  9. tarnheld / tarnheld (8 pts)
  10. John Wells / johnwells69 (4 pts)
  11. gkgamer / gkgamer (3 pts)

Race #1: 6 laps @ Côte d'Azur // Hot Hatches
  1. culturalsnow / culturalsnow (13:06.198)
  2. watermelon punch / wat3rm370n (13:10.712)
  3. amarynceos / GTP_amarynceos (13.11.011)
  4. tarnheld / tarnheld (13:12.543)
  5. Patrick8308 / Patrick8308 (13:15.486)
  6. snowgt / GTP_SnowCrash (13:06.841) (13:16.841)
  7. gkgamer / gkgamer (13:18.136)
  8. temuster / temuster (13:16.452) (13:20.452)
  9. John Wells / johnwells69 (14:07.112)
Penalties
temuster - 4 seconds
Post Race Contact Concession: 2 seconds (1 position in lieu)
Pit Entry/Exit Drama: 2 seconds
Failure to concede position after dive bomb inside with no overlap in the last turn, and forcing way in to pit resulting in repeated contacts
snowgt - 10 seconds
Post Race Contact Concession: 10 seconds (to position behind Temuster original finishing time)
lap 5 chicane - failure to pass cleanly - bump pass on car of temuster exiting chicane, after having no overlap on entry, no in race concession made

Race #2: 13 laps @ Suzuka 2014 // Luxury

IMG_0393.jpg

Race #3: 2 laps @ Sarthe 2013 // Legends

IMG_0401.jpg

Penalties:
temuster - warning for creating race start drama

Attachments

• IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 10
RESULTS

SERIES 16
TUESDAYS

:)
  1. snowgt / GTP_SnowCrash (87 pts) (5/4)
  2. watermelon punch / wat3rm370n (49 pts) (0/2)
  3. tarnheld / tarnheld (47 pts) (1/4)
  4. culturalsnow / culturalsnow (45 pts) (2/2)
  5. LongbowX / LongbowX (44 pts) (1/3)
  6. amarynceos / GTP_amarynceos (42 pts) (2/3)
  7. temuster / temuster (38 pts) (1/3)
  8. *tacom08 / tacom08 (34 pts) (2/2)
  9. Patrick8308 / Patrick8308 (34 pts) (0/2)
  10. Chiochan / ChuthuluGoat (33 pts) (0/1)
  11. WildChild89 / wild_child_89_ (24 pts) (0/1)
  12. John Wells / johnwells69 (15 pts) (0/1)
  13. Goetz / johndoekillsyou (11 pts)
  14. gkgamer / gkgamer (3 pts)
👍

Prize picks!
:cheers:

@snowgt
One (1) car list & track combo for a Parity Race (long track or heavy damage variety).
One (1) car list & track combo for a standard shuffle mixer race.

@tarnheld
Two (2) car list & track combos for shuffle mixer races.

@culturalsnow
One (1) car list & track combo for a shuffle mixer race.

:cool:

For example, the Honda Z Act (as well as the Honda N360) take forever to launch off. :eek: :boggled:
Others are just problematic on many tracks. I had to choose the tracks for some of them very carefully. I spent almost an hour finding exactly the right tracks for the Honda Life Step Van, VW Sambabus, & Biposto Bertone. :rolleyes::lol: So that we can have a good time. 👍

That hour was definately worth it !!! :bowdown: :D

In general I used to be not a big fan of those really slow cars. I think that they only produce exciting races on fitting (tight) tracks. On wider, faster tracks you have nearly no chance to catch up as there is less potential for faults of the leader and therefore not much possibilities to drive faster than one in front of you (except you have a much faster car which usually isn't the case).

But @watermelon punch 's track selection was perfect.👍 The races were close, thrilling and full of intense battles.

I was aware that some of you really like these lowest power races, still the fun we had yesterday was unexpected for me.:)

That Honda Z ACT was hilarious.:lol:
You may know that I only use MT on ovals usually but that thing forced me to drive with MT on Autumn Ring too. I tried the AT before the race but it shifted into 2nd gear too early. I had to keep the car in 1st gear manually (!), shift to 2nd gear was only needed when entering the finish straight.:crazy:
Sadly I had a really bad start and lost 3-4 seconds there already, so I could not get into real position battles and only managed to catch up on @watermelon punch.

The "delivery" race at London Reverse was amazing, very close and full of overtakes.;)
That Honda Life Step Van had way better acceleration, actually it had shifted to 4th gear at the same speed where the Z ACT just shifted to 2nd gear.:D

At Eiger Nordwand Short Track I had a lot of fun racing against @watermelon punch and @tarnheld, we stayed as a package for almost the whole race. Before the race I was afraid that my AT could be a disadvantage, especially in that uphill tunnel section where that Daihatsu Midget lost speed in 4th gear.:scared: But that was not the case, actually the car profited from draft in that section. For sure I was quite satisfied when I managed to overtake @watermelon punch at the end of that uphill on the final lap.;)
I watched the replay afterwards and have to admit that I was a bit off track on the insides of those switchbacks a couple of times.:rolleyes: But it seems that happend to everyone. Especially in bumper view you are not aware of how slim that car actually is.:lol:

That race at Motegi East Course with the VW Karmann Ghia Coupe obviously was a joy for everyone.
In comparison to the races before that car provided some kind of sports feeling.;) I was good at the start but could not keep the pace of @tarnheld and @amarynceos after they had overtaken me. The first laps I had problems not to drift the car and lost speed on the exit of turns. @temuster and @watermelon punch were able to overtake me easily too. Then I found the flow finally and could catch up on @watermelon punch. We had an amazing battle over the last 3 laps.👍 I was very close behind all the time (sorry for those two slight rear bumps under braking), the straight draft allowed me to overlap and we drove through almost every turn side-by-side, that was so intense and exciting.:cheers: At the beginning of the final lap my draft must have been just a bit more as before and I managed to pass on the outside in turn 1. @watermelon punch stayed real close the whole lap but, my luck, couldn't find a gap for a final counter.

Final race at Matterhorn Riffelsee was strange.:crazy:
After all that slow driving I had to adapt for that fast Ford RS200. Again I had a great start but sadly underestimated that first long right turn.:rolleyes: I flew off and damaged my left front, so I had to pit after lap 1.:ouch: The only reason I didn't finish last was that @John Wells and @tarnheld must have had an accident where they damaged their cars too. Actually @tarnheld had to pit twice.:eek:
Seriously, that first sector there is so hazardous and non-forgiving. Still that rollercoaster up/down section is hell of a fun.👍

I'm looking forward to my final races for this week today.:cheers:

RESULTS

SERIES 16
TUESDAYS

:)
  1. snowgt / GTP_SnowCrash (87 pts) (5/4)
  2. watermelon punch / wat3rm370n (49 pts) (0/2)
  3. tarnheld / tarnheld (47 pts) (1/4)
  4. culturalsnow / culturalsnow (45 pts) (2/2)
  5. LongbowX / LongbowX (44 pts) (1/3)
  6. amarynceos / GTP_amarynceos (42 pts) (2/3)
  7. temuster / temuster (38 pts) (1/3)
  8. *tacom08 / tacom08 (34 pts) (2/2)
  9. Patrick8308 / Patrick8308 (34 pts) (0/2)
  10. Chiochan / ChuthuluGoat (33 pts) (0/1)
  11. WildChild89 / wild_child_89_ (24 pts) (0/1)
  12. John Wells / johnwells69 (15 pts) (0/1)
  13. Goetz / johndoekillsyou (11 pts)
  14. gkgamer / gkgamer (3 pts)
👍

Prize picks!
:cheers:

@snowgt
One (1) car list & track combo for a Parity Race (long track or heavy damage variety).
One (1) car list & track combo for a standard shuffle mixer race.

@tarnheld
Two (2) car list & track combos for shuffle mixer races.

@culturalsnow
One (1) car list & track combo for a shuffle mixer race.

:cool:

Legends at Ascari. (Parity)
Historic at Laguna Seca. (Shuffle)

Yes, it can get very hard to see at night in GT6. I actually have a throw blanket put up as a cheap alternative to a blackout curtain in the man cave. I usually have a fairly bright light on as well to balance the lighting, since staring at a bright TV screen in the dark can have a tendency to be headache inducing. My TV has an LCD screen, which kills nearly any glare from the light, but, once it gets dark at the track, I do notice a bit of glare making it hard to see. Also, when there's a huge leaderboard in the HUD, like in the 24 minutes of Nurb event, that can really get in the way. Even if I shut the light off, that leaderboard still shines bright enough to make things tricky. It seems that you can't just remove the leaderboard without removing the entire HUD, but when I tried that, I was screwed over from the rolling start, b/c I couldn't tell which gear I was in. When I'm racing during the day, my visual references for brake points are usually next to the track, so I can still see them at night. Also, if you have some bad blind spots, like when the A-frame is kinda in the way for you to see to get a good corner-entry, they get worse at night. You don't even recognize it as part of the car. You just have this black void where you can't see anything, and it's no longer clear why, which leads to confusion and mistakes. Aside from that, it's really all about having the track memorized, being familiar with your car (good luck with that in shuffle :mischievous:), and sticking to the rhythm of the track. Hey, at least we can still see something. If you want to experience real night blindness, try NASCAR at night on an unlit track, like Matterhorn Rotenboden, or the Nordshliefe. You'll see just how dark it really gets when you have stickers for headlights.

I'll see you guys tonight at 7:30. Hopefully, GT6 doesn't decide that I can't enter the room, and have to wait again for no reason. You've picked some very nice tracks for tonight's event.

NEXT EVENT TODAY:

Friday 13 March 2015
3:00pm US EDT / Noon US PDT / 7:00pm GMT / 8:00pm CET / 19:00 UTC
Shuffle Mixer - Track Day
Cars Needed: To Be Chosen by previous week's podium during event
Try to get your Performance Coupes list ready to race!
Track To Be Decided

YOUR HOST WILL BE @tarnheld
(appointing co-hosts as needed) 👍

I may or may not join late. Don't know...
REAL LIFE and such.

If not I will see some of you later!

Friday 13 March 2015
7:30pm US EDT / 4:30pm US PDT / 11:30pm GMT / 23:30 UTC
Shuffle Mixer - Series 18 - Event 1
Cars Needed: Vintage, Retro, Luxury lists
Race #1: 1 laps @ Special Stage Route 7 // Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale '63
Race #2: 5 laps @ Autumn Ring Mini Reverse // Vintage
Race #3: 3 laps @ Motegi Road Course // Retro
Race #4: 3 laps @ Madrid // Retro
Race #5: 3 laps @ Willow Springs: Big Willow // Luxury
Race #6: 1 laps @ Nürburgring 24hrs // Luxury

Please note... some of you may already have noticed...
I'm in the middle of re-vamping the OP (opening post) to organize it more efficiently for easier reference.
Bear with me while I complete this process over the next couple of days. 👍
Thanks!

Ha, just composed the schedule post, when melon posted! :)

Anyways, just a few specialties of the track day:

First race grid order will be reverse parity order, members with no parity assignment at the front in order of room entry, after that just reverse race result order.

First race will be a one-make, the participants can voice choices for the first car and the track for all races before event begin in the room, at event begin there will be a poll with all people in the room until then, so be there!

EDIT:
Don't forget to get that Performance Coupés ready, i have to change oil for a few cars too. :D
If do not own some lists, please tell, so those choosing the next list can consider that. 👍

Track Day Room closed! :D

Sorry for the mess before race #3. Accidentally triggered race start, and got stuck, game froze. Had to leave the game and enter again. Didn't check my car and tires after this trouble, got it all wrong. :banghead:

But it was fun racing with you all! 👍

Last edited:
Thanks guys, was really fun to participate. :cheers: Except that floaty Europa S.2 :yuck:

Btw, not sure if Civic 1500 in retro list has a good spot. Wondered myself that i was able to keep pace of WM's Golf. :mischievous:

Back