Making jumps [Work in progress]

• Thread starter skylinefx
  • 11 comments
So I've been messing with the Course Maker up until 3 in the morning, trying to make jumps.
And yes, I did make a jump! There is a turn before the jump where I have to slow down, so that's why I can't get lots of air.
EifelCircuit.jpg

So after analysing the track, this is how I believe the track editor makes jumps.

Don't think that after reading this, you will be able to make a massive jump straight away! There is still randomness, and, what could be called, a glitch in the course maker.

The track editor smooths out the terrain where the track will go.

So this is the track, the the jump is exactly where I have marked.
JumpLoc.jpg

Shots from the jump point. The terrain on the outside is much higher than the terrain on the inside.
Side.jpg

The course maker can't create banked turns, right? So what it does is it creates a terrain below the track and matches the elevation with the higher point. In this case, because the outside terrain was higher, it matched it with that.

This is another view of the jump and elevation changes. As you can see, the road terrain and the terrain on the outside are pretty much at the same level.
View.jpg

So, basically, because of the different elevations on each side of the road, the course maker won't smooth it properly all of the time and will create a jump!

I'm still testing out more tracks to see how often this works. But the problem is getting the track to go trough this type of terrain. This is pretty much random... Hope this helps and you won't have to test every single track to see if it has a jump!

To have the best chance of getting a jump - Create a 4 or 5 section track. On each section, turn the complexity down to 0 and corner sharpness to -5.

There is a higher chance of getting a jump with a 7 section course, but also the chance of getting an oval is less.

Update:
If you have the road running trough a similar terrain to the one I've showed but there is no jump, you can try changing the complexity or/and corner sharpness by 1 or 2 values. This would change the course direction a bit and might cause the smoothing error.

Last edited:
My problem is making courses WITHOUT jumps.

Jumps totally ruin a course for me. I don't drive cape ring because of that idiotic motocross jump.

My problem is making courses WITHOUT jumps.

Jumps totally ruin a course for me. I don't drive cape ring because of that idiotic motocross jump.

It's fun the first time but it does seem a bit OTT doing it in race cars that would be destroyed going over that jump!

5279740198_af1897e47b_b.jpg

I made that a while ago but I guess it follows the same principal.

Seeing that pit sign made me wonder... it would be fantastic if you could create a jump that landed you right in the pit straight providing you took off at the correct angle! :dopey:

@s2k2k3
There are tracks in the real world that get cars&bikes airborne, cadwell park mountain springs to mind and dont forget parts of the nurburgring that will generarate `air`, one has to drive to the track configuration!

@s2k2k3
There are tracks in the real world that get cars&bikes airborne, cadwell park mountain springs to mind and dont forget parts of the nurburgring that will generarate `air`, one has to drive to the track configuration!

There is a difference between a car getting a little airborn and a car trying to leave the atmosphere when it comes to race tracks, though. The course maker seems to make more motocross jumps then anything else and that can is extremely annoying when the rest of the track is fun and you come up to a huge launch pad, sometimes it's easy to tune it out in the editor but sometimes it completely changes the layout.

Seeing that pit sign made me wonder... it would be fantastic if you could create a jump that landed you right in the pit straight providing you took off at the correct angle! :dopey:

i have a track that that will take you into the pit on a jump that you come out of at 130 mph, so if you overcorrect, you land in the pit, which i did but still won the race

If the corkscrew at leguna seca was on a straighter section of track cars would go airbourne in either direction, gradient changes that extreme dont exist in the real world because the health and safety wombles would deem them too dangerous.
:tup:GT5 course creator has no such safety net for people who should be removed from the gene pool.:)

If the corkscrew at leguna seca was on a straighter section of track cars would go airbourne in either direction, gradient changes that extreme dont exist in the real world because the health and safety wombles would deem them too dangerous.
:tup:GT5 course creator has no such safety net for people who should be removed from the gene pool.:)

It's not about the safety - It is a glitch/bug in the process of smoothing the terrain. We can simply call this an artificial jump :sly:

I just got the game for Christmas today and I tried the course maker at Mt. Aso and got a section of track right before a turn. It was a jump that if you didn't press hard on the brake you would fly into the wall so hard that the car would flip and spin at the same time!

Back