Making Standard Cars Premium

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brian Daniels
  • 21 comments
  • 1,643 views
Messages
51
England
England
Messages
bamzooki5670
Why is this not a thing. I'm sure even if you don't like a Supra you still want a premium one, considering that GT is diehard JDM and also just generally for cars in game (I want a premium 2002 Turbo :( ) during the 4 years between GT5 to GT6 could they not have made a few cars premium atleast. Please PD.
 
The problem is they got 1000 cars (probably really just 100 once you remove all duplicate Skylines, NSXs, etc). Making them premium takes a lot of work for very little payoff.
 
Why is this not a thing. I'm sure even if you don't like a Supra you still want a premium one, considering that GT is diehard JDM and also just generally for cars in game (I want a premium 2002 Turbo :( ) during the 4 years between GT5 to GT6 could they not have made a few cars premium atleast. Please PD.
They did - there are many more premium cars than GT5. To update them all would've been impossible given the time-frame so they made a choice to include 'standard' cars again as opposed to just having less cars. No, they're not ideal but I think its better than not having them at all, controversial as that opinion may be.

That said, I don't think we require every model of MX-5/Miata and Skyline ever made.
 
They did - there are many more premium cars than GT5. To update them all would've been impossible given the time-frame so they made a choice to include 'standard' cars again as opposed to just having less cars. No, they're not ideal but I think its better than not having them at all, controversial as that opinion may be.

That said, I don't think we require every model of MX-5/Miata and Skyline ever made.
I understand they have alot of cars (and a silly amount of duplicates) but this is the only console game that comes to mind that still has cars with no interiors which PD put in the game shamelessly. Quality before quantity right?
 
In GT5 my favourite cars were the RUFs. I cant remember the name of my favourite, it was the fastest of them all... the Ctr2 maybe? Anyway, have they added anymore Rufs in GT6 + any of the RUFs (which have been in the game since Gt2...) been made premium yet?

Cheers

Edit: Just checked, no extra RUF's and they're still standard.

Okay PD, WTF! RUF is basically Porsche, and Porsche is one of the biggest, popular and influential car manufacturer in terms of racing ever and all you have is 3 cars, of which are standard!?

I get why some cars have been left standard, but of all those which needed to be updated, the pathetic Porsche offerings were at the top of the list.
 
In GT5 my favourite cars were the RUFs. I cant remember the name of my favourite, it was the fastest of them all... the Ctr2 maybe? Anyway, have they added anymore Rufs in GT6 + any of the RUFs (which have been in the game since Gt2...) been made premium yet?

Cheers

Edit: Just checked, no extra RUF's and they're still standard.

Okay PD, WTF! RUF is basically Porsche, and Porsche is one of the biggest, popular and influential car manufacturer in terms of racing ever and all you have is 3 cars, of which are standard!?

I get why some cars have been left standard, but of all those which needed to be updated, the pathetic Porsche offerings were at the top of the list.
To make it worse Gran Turismo and Porsche have a sponsorship deal
 
To make it worse Gran Turismo and Porsche have a sponsorship deal

That's not a direct Porsche sponsorship but Gran Turismo sponsor the VLN which host a series of races on the Nurburgring, and I'm assuming that car is participating in a VLN race by looking at the track (Nurburgring).
 
Because

-PD won't bother to make standard models premium because those cars are basically in range '80s to '05 (ie. recycled GTPSP cars) so it's a waste of time
-they're focusing on the new ones and classic rides that have never been in any GT
-it takes a lot of time and money
 
That's not a direct Porsche sponsorship but Gran Turismo sponsor the VLN which host a series of races on the Nurburgring, and I'm assuming that car is participating in a VLN race by looking at the track (Nurburgring).
What about the Porsche sign on the Arnage corner in GT6 on la Sarthe?
 
Because

-PD won't bother to make standard models premium because those cars are basically in range '80s to '05 (ie. recycled GTPSP cars) so it's a waste of time
-they're focusing on the new ones and classic rides that have never been in any GT
-it takes a lot of time and money
- I'm sure plenty of people like cars which are standard models e.g Toyota Supra so most people won't find it a waste of time if they are that devoted to the GT series.
- Can they not focus on old and new at the same time
- I'm sure the profit is sufficient enough to atleast try. We've waited 4 years from GT5 to GT6 to see minimal improvement so I'm sure try GT fans will be happy to wait to see a major improvement.
 
- I'm sure plenty of people like cars which are standard models e.g Toyota Supra so most people won't find it a waste of time if they are that devoted to the GT series.
- Can they not focus on old and new at the same time
- I'm sure the profit is sufficient enough to atleast try. We've waited 4 years from GT5 to GT6 to see minimal improvement so I'm sure try GT fans will be happy to wait to see a major improvement.
You keep forgetting that PD isn't listening to the fans but themselves.
 
What about the Porsche sign on the Arnage corner in GT6 on la Sarthe?

I think that sign is there in real life so they just modeled it as part of the track, don't think it means much in terms of a deal with Gran Turismo.
 
They'll probably just completely remodel the car instead of upgrading 'em.
 
I understand they have alot of cars (and a silly amount of duplicates) but this is the only console game that comes to mind that still has cars with no interiors which PD put in the game shamelessly. Quality before quantity right?
Need For speed and Grid 2 (Modeled interiors but you can't access them)
 
In GT5 my favourite cars were the RUFs. I cant remember the name of my favourite, it was the fastest of them all... the Ctr2 maybe? Anyway, have they added anymore Rufs in GT6 + any of the RUFs (which have been in the game since Gt2...) been made premium yet?

Cheers

Edit: Just checked, no extra RUF's and they're still standard.

Okay PD, WTF! RUF is basically Porsche, and Porsche is one of the biggest, popular and influential car manufacturer in terms of racing ever and all you have is 3 cars, of which are standard!?

I get why some cars have been left standard, but of all those which needed to be updated, the pathetic Porsche offerings were at the top of the list.
RuF is my favourite stable in GT too. I feel your pain - however they have vastly improved the look of them in GT6 compared to 5. The bodywork on my RGT is sublime now - just the interior thats missing.
The RuF sound is very good and Porschy in GT6 too.
I like what they've done.

In an interview with Kaz prior to the launch of GT6 the man said he was keen to start working with Porsche (not meaning to start an EA licence comments stampede), so being on the optimistic side of things I'm hoping the Porsche banner on La Sarthe is an indicator of things to come :)
(I don't think it was there in GT5)
 
gran turismo 6 should've left out the standard cars and added more premiums
 
gran turismo 6 should've left out the standard cars and added more premiums

Leaving out the Standards would not have freed resources to do detailed exterior and interior scanning to create new Premiums. So that doesn't help us get a longer list of Premium cars.

However, it is within your control to only drive Premiums. Knock yourself out! You get part of what you want without taking away driving choices from people who like Standards. (Or at least choose to drive some Standards.)

BTW, if you were to upgrade from a Standard to a Premium keyboard, you'd find it has a Shift key on each side, as well as some other really beautiful interior keys such as "period" and "comma".
 
I think elsewhere I've seen mentioned that PD has a strict 1-developer/1-car policy. Each car you encounter has been modeled by a single-PD programmer, as a nod to a traditional Japanese obsession with personal crafstmanship and artistry. Part of me wonders if that also prevents them from simply extending "premium" like craftsmanship over to other cars modelled by different dev.s or for previous renditions of the game. For instance it seems like it'd be a pretty easy job to use the interior and 99% of the exterior modelling of the premium R34 V-Spec to port over to a premium quality R34 N1 (from the exterior, the changes are basically limited to the hood and the skirting around the bottom).

To do that, though, would kind of insult the employee who took the time to create a beautiful premium-level R34, as well as enable other employees to kind of laze their way through their own work. It would kind of violate the rules of this rumored PD obsession with the spirit of traditional craftsmanship. (At least, that might be a possible reason.)

I have a lot of respect for Kaz and his work with the series, but sometimes he might be a little more Fumito Ueda than the typical video-game project lead. His passion ("perfectionism"?) for turning out high-quality products and recognizing high-quality work is impressive, but I suspect that at times it kind of limits PD's ability to work and act like a more mainstream dev. company. (In that vein, did he seem a little more artistic and eccentric in "Kaz" than anybody else expected him to be?)
 
I am just glad the Standards are still in or some of my favorite cars to drive would be gone. I do not really care about interiors. To me, those hands and a steering wheel are just a distraction but then I drive in a cockpit so I have the wheel in my line of vision anyway.
 
Back