Managing Oversteer: Deceleration Slalom Test

• Thread starter daveyules
  • 1 comments
daveyules
Hi All,

I'm sure you've all noticed that there are a myriad of threads pertaining to managing oversteer for various cars and also in general. In my own search for an answer I devised a test to definitively understand how much oversteer a vehicle will exhibit anywhere from zero to top speed. Let me know your thoughts on how well this works or how it could be better.

For this test I am using Special Stage Route X; a long straight is ideal for a high speed slalom test.
  1. Drive the car up to or near its top speed.
  2. Upon releasing the throttle, swerve left and right as violently as possible in an attempt to break traction on the rear axle.
  3. Be acutely aware of the car's balance as you swerve and decelerate, from top speed to zero.
    1. High Speed Oversteer? Increase rear downforce or decrease front downforce. Don't have downforce? See Low Speed Oversteer.
    2. Low Speed Oversteer? Increase LSD Initial Torque or follow your preferred customization guidelines for reducing this.
  4. Once your car is consistently responding to violent inputs from top speed to zero you've established a stable setup, and hopefully a balanced one as well!
Happy Motoring

I actually was digging into this a bit more, and I think I was overzealous about the violent aspect of it. Really, the first directional change should be the one that you focus on for balance at top speed. For example, my R18's downforce is set to 600 front, 825 rear. That was the point that minor changes in direction wouldn't precipitate constant changes in direction, hope you guys know what i mean!

Cheers

Back