Manual/Automatic, I would love help.

  • Thread starter Thread starter SunHose
  • 21 comments
  • 1,852 views
Messages
7
Canada
Manitoba
Messages
SolarPump
Hello, I'm new here (Not that you couldn't tell) and need some help weening off of Automatic. I have been trying to use manual since about three months ago, but, no luck. I'm just no good at it, I've been trying to ween off of it with my Jaguar XJ13 (With Clueless Tunes help, for that matter) on Trial Mountain, but it doesn't work. Help PLEASE this game is becoming much less fun, because over Nine-teen hundred hours on a game without being able to maintain a drift is INFURIATING, I have no trouble with it on Forza, and I've been playing both series since their first releases, I don't want to give up GT, because it is still one of my favorite series.
 
Are you using just a standard controller
Or a wheel?
 
It would be more helpful if you could describe why exactly you're having problems driving Manual. Are you not used to having to shift for yourself, are the buttons you're using too inconvenient, or are you using a wheel? Or is the car tricky to drive Manual?

Either way, I can list some generic ways to help you. If you're using the DualShock 3 (DS3) controller, I'd suggest you change the shifting buttons to either the L1 and R1 buttons (I personally use this setup), or the Face Buttons if you're using the L2 and R2 triggers to brake and accelerate. There's less travelling distance in fully depressing the L1 and R1 buttons as compared to the L2 and R2 triggers, so you can shift with more precision in timing. Not to mention, changing to the 1 buttons have solved my "argh, you stupid game, I so shifted, why didn't you register it?!" problem. Although, since I don't use a wheel, I can't offer any advice on them, sorry.

I would also advise you start with a car that has a very even torque curve. Even as someone whom has been driving Manual since GT2, cars like the Suzuki Escudo is a nightmare to drive on Manual given it's atrocious torque curve. You'll want something that willingly accelerates at pretty much any RPM, just to get the hang of it. I'm not a big fan of the car, but I'd suggest the R35 GT-R. It has a very useful torque curve, and it's gear shifts are fast, both traits helpful for learning to drive Manual in the game. Of course, the R35 wouldn't be good for drifting whatsoever. You might want to consider any of the numerous FD RX-7s in the game for that. It shifts really fast for a stick shifter, and it's torque curve is really generous with it's twin sequential turbochargers. Of course, this is coming from a RX-7 fanboy, so take it with a grain of salt :P

Either way, you'll probably want a loud car. Something like the Viper ACR just won't cut it. You'll want a loud car because you want to keep your eyes on the road as much as possible, which means you wouldn't want to keep your eyes glued on the tachometer. Heck, the tachometer is pretty much invisible, even in most Premiums, unless you're racing at night. Once you find a loud car, you can try accelerating from a standstill from 2nd gear or 3rd gear, to learn how the engine sounds like as it revs from idle to redline. Learn to listen for when the Engine is about to hit the redline- it's distinctive sound at it's distinctive RPM. This is something that cannot be learned through text alone: you'll have to practice it for yourself. It's going to be infuriating to over rev the engine and have the revs bounce back, but use that frustration as a warning next time the engine is about to over rev and shift up.

Also, one last tip would be to take corners in one gear. Shifting gears mid corner is a really awkward thing to do, since you'd be cutting off your gas and shifting the weight of the car to the front mid corner, which could upset the balance of the car. However, this is exactly the advantage that Manual cars have over the Automatics in the game, in addition to Manuals generally being lighter in mass than their Automatic counterparts in real life.
 
It would be more helpful if you could describe why exactly you're having problems driving Manual. Are you not used to having to shift for yourself, are the buttons you're using too inconvenient, or are you using a wheel? Or is the car tricky to drive Manual?

Either way, I can list some generic ways to help you. If you're using the DualShock 3 (DS3) controller, I'd suggest you change the shifting buttons to either the L1 and R1 buttons (I personally use this setup), or the Face Buttons if you're using the L2 and R2 triggers to brake and accelerate. There's less travelling distance in fully depressing the L1 and R1 buttons as compared to the L2 and R2 triggers, so you can shift with more precision in timing. Not to mention, changing to the 1 buttons have solved my "argh, you stupid game, I so shifted, why didn't you register it?!" problem. Although, since I don't use a wheel, I can't offer any advice on them, sorry.

I would also advise you start with a car that has a very even torque curve. Even as someone whom has been driving Manual since GT2, cars like the Suzuki Escudo is a nightmare to drive on Manual given it's atrocious torque curve. You'll want something that willingly accelerates at pretty much any RPM, just to get the hang of it. I'm not a big fan of the car, but I'd suggest the R35 GT-R. It has a very useful torque curve, and it's gear shifts are fast, both traits helpful for learning to drive Manual in the game. Of course, the R35 wouldn't be good for drifting whatsoever. You might want to consider any of the numerous FD RX-7s in the game for that. It shifts really fast for a stick shifter, and it's torque curve is really generous with it's twin sequential turbochargers. Of course, this is coming from a RX-7 fanboy, so take it with a grain of salt :P

Either way, you'll probably want a loud car. Something like the Viper ACR just won't cut it. You'll want a loud car because you want to keep your eyes on the road as much as possible, which means you wouldn't want to keep your eyes glued on the tachometer. Heck, the tachometer is pretty much invisible, even in most Premiums, unless you're racing at night. Once you find a loud car, you can try accelerating from a standstill from 2nd gear or 3rd gear, to learn how the engine sounds like as it revs from idle to redline. Learn to listen for when the Engine is about to hit the redline- it's distinctive sound at it's distinctive RPM. This is something that cannot be learned through text alone: you'll have to practice it for yourself. It's going to be infuriating to over rev the engine and have the revs bounce back, but use that frustration as a warning next time the engine is about to over rev and shift up.

Also, one last tip would be to take corners in one gear. Shifting gears mid corner is a really awkward thing to do, since you'd be cutting off your gas and shifting the weight of the car to the front mid corner, which could upset the balance of the car. However, this is exactly the advantage that Manual cars have over the Automatics in the game, in addition to Manuals generally being lighter in mass than their Automatic counterparts in real life.

Thanks StickIt, Great community too,I really like your suggestion. I just realized that I've been shifting in corners a LOT lately, so it really helped. I guess I'm not used to manual in the GT series, I did GT1 in Manual, and GT2, GT3, GT4 and GT5 in Automatic.My memory is a little fuzzy right now, (2:30 in the morning) so I can't be sure.
 
How do you have the buttons assigned to your controller? For example, my settings are:

R2 - Accelerator
L2 - Brake
R1 - Gear up
L1 - Gear down

That is a pretty common and easy to use set up. During the days of GT5 Prologue I turned the right analog stick into the gear shifter instead, with reasonable success. Sometimes I think about going back to that set up as it's comfortable and easy to change gear if you need to use both the brake and accelerator at the same time, but it's down turn is that you can't shift down as quickly as using the L1 button.

As for when to change gear, go into the settings sheet for your car and look at the power curve graph that displays the torque (orange line) and horsepower (green line). The number at the bottom will tell you what the car's maximum RPM will be (for example, 7900rpm). It would be handy if PD numerated or inserted some labelled grids into the graph, but you can still gather a good idea of when the optimal shifting point is.


Let's look at this picture I've pinched:

images



The graph is showing you where the peak of the torque and the horsepower is. Knowing that max RPM is 7700, and optimum power is about 3/4ths up the RPM range, I would say that maximum power is between 5800-6000RPM. Revving any higher than that will slow you down a lot as the power drops significantly after the peak.

Looking further left, you can see where the torque and horsepower pick up, which is above the half way mark, meaning that most power is being delivered at above 4000RPM. From this then, you can work out that you should change up a gear when you get to 6000RPM, and change down a gear when falling to 4000RPM. This way, you will keep the engine revving at it's optimum power.

While learning how to get used to this, you may need to keep an eye on the Rev meter while racing or drifting, but as you do, listen to the sound and tone of the engine. Eventually, you will get used to the sound of the car and work out when you need to shift, and will no longer rely on the rev meter. This will also aid your concentration on the car and track even further.


EDIT: Studying the car's power curve will also greatly help you in setting up your gears. If a car has a short and very sharp power curve, then you'll want to make sure that all of your gears are close together and that you shift up just after, and shift down just before the power curve. In cars that have a flat power curve, such as the Nissan GT-R, you will be able to set longer gears, and the range of revs that you can use will be much wider.
 
Last edited:
As a European who has driven Manual and Automatic in real life I have found that I'm happy with either in the game. You change by sound in a real car rather off the rev' counter and I do that in the game. BUT you need to know what the car sounds like at the change points. With a real car you drive it day in day out so learn the sounds over time. In the game it's easy to drive 40 cars in a day's play and so harder to get each one right.
 
Recently tried Manual too, and I'm OK with it so far.
Just turn on the HUD, and have a glimpse at the tachometer if you think it's time to change gear.
When you're getting better and better, then try switching off the HUD, and use the car's tachometer in cockpit view.
 
Lewis_Hamilton_
How do you have the buttons assigned to your controller? For example, my settings are:

R2 - Accelerator
L2 - Brake
R1 - Gear up
L1 - Gear down

I believe someone likes XBox lol
 
Hello, I'm new here (Not that you couldn't tell) and need some help weening off of Automatic. I have been trying to use manual since about three months ago, but, no luck. I'm just no good at it, I've been trying to ween off of it with my Jaguar XJ13 (With Clueless Tunes help, for that matter) on Trial Mountain, but it doesn't work. Help PLEASE this game is becoming much less fun, because over Nine-teen hundred hours on a game without being able to maintain a drift is INFURIATING, I have no trouble with it on Forza, and I've been playing both series since their first releases, I don't want to give up GT, because it is still one of my favorite series.

If it is still one of your favorite series, I suggest you to buy a wheel, you will notice a new gameplay experience, some wheels aren't expensive :)
 
The premium RX7 Spirit R from new car dealership is a good car for manual practice, I think in GT5, when you driving it, when nearing the redline, it will make audible warning just like in real life car.
 
Go with the quintessential training car: the Toyota GT-86 (or its BRZ/FR-S counterparts).
 
I just swap from auto to manual less than 2 months back. I tried to learn before but gave up as it seems so hard to get the right gear in so many different cars.
To force myself to learn, I started 9 hrs of Tsukuba in a manual g37.
Essentially, it's about persistence and practice. If mastery is what you want, I can't offer anything.
 
I changed the button setup after about 4 laps of my first go at a manual transmission. I don't use it 100% of the time now, but only use automatic when I'm in a very powerful car on a track I don't know that well yet.

The button setup I prefer most for shifting is R1 to shift down and R2 to shift up. Why? The "trigger" button I can get to easiest is R2, so I chose it for the upshift. The R1 doesn't take much work to get to of course, but my finger naturally rests atop R2, and has since I first touched a controller. I wanted the upshift to be fast, no finger movement needed to get to it.

I did not at all like having the upshift on one side and the downshift on the other - the default setup.

I then practiced. With cars I knew well on tracks I knew well to get the hang of it.
 
Last edited:
Lots of great advice here - I myself made the transition of getting off the automatic and it was one of the hardest, but best things I ever did. Once you get the hang of it, you do get faster with it versus automatic. The control you gain over the car is amazing. If the back of the car steps out you can short shift quickly to keep the rear end pointed in the right direction - the ability to hold the car in gear for any corner is also a massive bonus as auto usually shifts either up or down when you really don't want/need it to.

It has been five months now in the process, and I know I could never go back to auto as the drive is crazy boring. Good luck, and stick with it!!
 
Thanks for the great advice everyone, just finished the Indy 500 Event in my F2007 in Manual, and I got a bit better at it, I had to switch some of my tunes around, and my controls were pretty messed up, but I got used to it after about an hour, I plan on getting a Wheel soon, I just never get around to it, I have a lot going on, but I'll get one soon!
 
R2 - Accelerator
L2 - Brake
R1 - Gear up
L1 - Gear down

Mine is:

R2 - accelerator
L2 - brake
Right stick forward - upshift
Right stick back - downshift
 
Mine is:

R2 - accelerator
L2 - brake
Right stick forward - upshift
Right stick back - downshift


Lewis_Hamilton_
During the days of GT5 Prologue I turned the right analog stick into the gear shifter instead


That's how I used to have it for about a year or so, Fluttershy.
 
I was using auto for years, (GT1,2,3,4 and a year of 5)
I just couldn't get used to it, downshifting was my problem mainly but practice and belive me its like having a new game and i am as fast if not faster with manual now, it also gives you better control over the car.
I use DS3 and have:
L2 = BRAKE
R2 = ACCELERATE
X = UP SHIFT
SQUARE = DOWN SHIFT

That is how my hands and most probably yours naturally rest on the pad so no uncomfortable or wierd button configuration to remember.

Good luck and practice, practice, practice!

Top tip: use a slow car, about 300 - 350PP
 
Haven't read what everyone else said but start with a slower car, perhaps one that doesn't have too many gears. Also important is to drive on a track you know best, so you already know the feel of car/track, plus - in my case - I could somewhat remember what the car/rpm's sounded like when I drove on the same place in automatic, it might help.

Also everyone is posting their setup, I'd try not too switch too much, pick something that feels pretty good and from there on start to change it yourself instead of constantly changing setups entirely... only to notice nothing seems to work. It takes some time and practice.
And don't get frustrated, don't play it against your will simply because you want to learn how to shift manually.
Lastly, and this may sound ridiculous, sleep, this counts for anything in life. You (re)learn everything during your sleep, even shifting manually in a game.


How do you have the buttons assigned to your controller? For example, my settings are:

R2 - Accelerator
L2 - Brake
R1 - Gear up
L1 - Gear down
Do you use two fingers for one side? like two for just R2 / R1, so in total four fingers for all four buttons actually?

I use:
R2 - Accelerator
L2 - Brake
R1 - Gear down
L1 - Gear up

Yes it doesn't seem practical or logical but it didn't take that long to get used to and it works perfect, it never interferes (unless with low HP cars that actually slows down when accelerating).
 
Take a car like the Ferrari Enzo or Art Morrison 60' corvette and use cockpit view. Use SSRX or a similar track with a long straight.

The reason I suggest the Enzo or the vette, or pretty much any of the premium race cars is because they have a gear indicator. On the Enzo and 60' Corvette, there are little LEDs that light up as the the RPMs rise. When the full amount of lights light up, shift up. This is literally how I taught myself how to drive manual. I know the tachometer gauge in the corner has red light that blinks when you should shift, but I just found using those car steering wheel gauges much more helpful, mainly for downshifting because the lights would turn off in the same sense they would tun on as the RPMs rose.

Go through a few gears, then slowly brake; you should be downshifting once the RPMs have dropped by about 2000. This applies to virtually all cars.

The only adjusting you'll find is when to precisely upshift. A lot of cars you will want to shift when you are a few hundred/thousand RPMs in to REDLINE. Some cars, though, you have to shift as you hit redline, like in the 370z, and other high RPM cars.

Hope this helps!
 
Back