Manual gear changing

  • Thread starter Thread starter jason_
  • 2 comments
  • 566 views
Messages
70
Messages
jay_sawn_off
Since I just got my G25 wheel last week I was going to start learning how to drive with manual gears. I find that it is useful to crank the gears down going into corners to get an engine braking effect which isn't possible with auto. Is it possible that if I keep doing this that the engine will wear down quicker because of this?

Any other tips for manual shifting?
 
I highly doubt the engine will wear more because of engine braking. Also, unless you're rev matching while down shifting (ie heel and toe braking) it's quite easy to accidentally put the (rear wheel drive) car into a slide as you let the clutch out. I'm not sure there's really a large advantage to engine braking, as the bottleneck to stopping distance is usually tire traction, not braking power.When I do heel and toe brake I typically just skip through the gearbox to the gear I'll need when I get under power, instead of sequentially downshifting through every gear, and that way I don't really make much use of any engine braking. When I'm feeling lazy, I just pull the clutch in when braking into a corner, pick my gear, and then when I want to put power pack on rev match and let the clutch out to avoid chirping my tires.
 
Thank you. I think that it will take me a while to master, but with forums like this giving out good tips I hope to get there.
 
Back