Manual gear still possible after making T3PA handbrake? (PS4)

United Kingdom
Scotland
Bush_Killa-73
Dirt Rally, T300Rs PS4 & TH8A shifter. I've mapped down on sequential set up to be handbrake but is it still possible to keep manual control on the paddles does anyone know? Or is that just on Pc?

I can't choose between having manual/awkward wheel mounted handbrake button setup & automatic with the easy access handbrake option otherwise!

Dirt Rally, T300Rs PS4 & TH8A shifter. I've mapped down on sequential set up to be handbrake but is it still possible to keep manual control on the paddles does anyone know? Or is that just on Pc?

I can't choose between having manual/awkward wheel mounted handbrake button setup & automatic with the easy access handbrake option otherwise!
What I've done is set these handbrake to 4th gear on the TH8A and then use the paddles on the wheel for manual shifting.

You have to remember to release the handbrake manually, but apart from that it works perfectly.

What I've done is set these handbrake to 4th gear on the TH8A and then use the paddles on the wheel for manual shifting.

You have to remember to release the handbrake manually, but apart from that it works perfectly.

Thanks, that seems so obvious now you say it. I think I tried that first from memory but didnt like it & was going to plug in the sequential plate just for this game anyway.

Forgot all about that option in all the excitement. I'm glad to hear you can get used to it & will give it another try.

Thanks, that seems so obvious now you say it. I think I tried that first from memory but didnt like it & was going to plug in the sequential plate just for this game anyway.

Forgot all about that option in all the excitement lol. I'm glad to hear you can get used to it & will give it another try.
Works well for me, hope you find it suits you. :cheers:

You can plug in the shifter by itself with the USB cord that came in the package. That's what I've done. Put the th8a in sequential mode and use as handbrake and shift with the paddles.

You can plug in the shifter by itself with the USB cord that came in the package. That's what I've done. Put the th8a in sequential mode and use as handbrake and shift with the paddles.

It's cool I eventually sussed that out thanks to someone elses post but thanks anyway matey. Yep went & dug out the unused cable now all good

Just need to settle on the actual settings now!

How's the 599xx wheel? Waiting for mine to show up tomorrow!

It's really good man. Once I got used to what buttons were what after using the ps4 wheel. I don't bother using gloves as it feels too good. Maybe I should to preserve it but often have a mate round so both wearing gloves would be a bit ridiculous!

not sure if you guys are aware of this, if you plug your th8a shifter to the computer and run the driver, you can put it in anolog mode. then turn the shifter sideways and use it as a handbrake. when the shifter is pulled down the shift channel towards reverse and 7 gear it is also an input. then just use the padels for shifting.

not sure if you guys are aware of this, if you plug your th8a shifter to the computer and run the driver, you can put it in anolog mode. then turn the shifter sideways and use it as a handbrake. when the shifter is pulled down the shift channel towards reverse and 7 gear it is also an input. then just use the padels for shifting.
That is only for PC use though. For PS4 / Xbone that mode does not work.

I just ordered the th8a shifter so I can use it as a handbrake for dirt rally. But I guess I now also can use it for project Cars. I'm glad u guys said this works. Can't wait to try it. Sucks using the wheel button for e brake

Last edited:
Hello, I just wanted to let you know that you can actually make a handbrake yourself (I used wood, screws, strings and metal) it looks like a real thing and works like it.. using T300 base R3 button, made connected mechanically, by pulling handbrake other parts move and press the button... really works like a charm!

EDIT: you cant do it with G29 because for some idiotic reason they put all buttons on a wheel... G27 and G25 works fine (made handbrake for them, modified it later for T300).. search youtube or google, someone should already done it.. cheap and simple, perfect for drift and rally!

@Bush_Killa-73 - while I use a G29 with a H pattern shifter (for PS4) - there's a really simple thing to do that makes your life way easier. I imagine that you have your shifter on a mount? What I do, is string a couple of elastics around the base of my shifter holder, set my handbrake to 4th gear, so when I want it to release I simply let it go. That way you can concentrate on the road and not be fiddling with your shifter to disengage the handbrake...

Hello, I just wanted to let you know that you can actually make a handbrake yourself (I used wood, screws, strings and metal) it looks like a real thing and works like it.. using T300 base R3 button, made connected mechanically, by pulling handbrake other parts move and press the button... really works like a charm!

Do you have a picture of this? I was thinking of building something similar but never got around to it. My warranty is up on my T300 so I might just open the base and connect another wire to the L3 or R3 button.

Do you have a picture of this? I was thinking of building something similar but never got around to it. My warranty is up on my T300 so I might just open the base and connect another wire to the L3 or R3 button.

no, no need to open.. just make a "mechanic" button presser :D I dont know how to call it my english is not best! just build it out of anything really.. it needs to be strong enough, so all connections are not wobbly.. if you pull handbrake, it will press button mechanically, trough all connections, and springs or rubber bands pull it back!!
dont have picture at the moment.. and am away from home!

..this is why i dislike new G29.. it has all buttons on a wheel.. so no handbrake for G29 users :((

The next generation wheels make me confused as hell when choosing. T300 has better FFB and you can use shifter as handbrake, but stock pedals & reliability are bad. G29 is cheap & reliable, but no sequential on shifter (seriously? They sell it separate and still can't figure out a way to make it sequential like G25?).

On my G25 usually I just use sequential down for handbrake. At the moment I can't mount my shifter though so I just use clutch in RBR :lol: Surprisingly works pretty well and natural. Also being analog helps 👍

no, no need to open.. just make a "mechanic" button presser :D I dont know how to call it my english is not best! just build it out of anything really.. it needs to be strong enough, so all connections are not wobbly.. if you pull handbrake, it will press button mechanically, trough all connections, and springs or rubber bands pull it back!!
dont have picture at the moment.. and am away from home!
... (

Cool thanks. Yeah I need to build my actual handbrake lever first then decide how I am going to hook it up. There are many options.. Direct wire to L3 or R3 button on the base, mechanical press button (like yours), using the dualshock4 controller and having it pull back on one of the analog sticks (this is what I am going to try first).

EDIT - I am going to give this example a try - http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/22495-diy-thrustmaster-tx-arcade-handbrake-mod-tarham™/ - It can actually easily be made into a sequential shifter not just a digital handbrake by wiring up 2 buttons to it.

Found on amazon for under $13 shipped ( there is an auto discount and no taxes or shipping cost) - only problem is it takes 3+ weeks to arrive. Will just stick with paddle shifting and using TH8a as handbrake until it arrives. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UL4XQHE/?tag=gtplanet-20

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back