Manual transmission neutral position

• Thread starter Yes No
  • 12 comments
United States
United States
Hi everyone, I'm doing some tests on my rig setup that is very unique and might be the only person using it right now so I can't ask anyone if it's happening to them also. I would like to make sure I understand the neutral position correctly for the full race transmission.

I just got a Thrustmaster TH8S and haven't had time to mess with it yet. I only had a couple of minutes to test it and won't have time to play around with it until after the kids go to bed tonight... I guess I could wait but this question is bugging me lol.

If I remember correctly, the fully racing transmission on certain cars can act a bit weird in regards to the clutch and neutral position.

I used my ferrari 330 p4 that has the full race transmission and went to a track to enter a time trial. I was only testing the shifter so I did not push in the clutch before it let me start driving the car. The game showed it going into all of the gears correctly but would basically hang onto the last gear when in neutral... From neutral, I put it into another gear and the game registers the new gear selection.... So it looks like it is working but doesn't have a neutral position. Is this a typical behavior for that l kind of transmission?

Hi everyone, I'm doing some tests on my rig setup that is very unique and might be the only person using it right now so I can't ask anyone if it's happening to them also. I would like to make sure I understand the neutral position correctly for the full race transmission.

I just got a Thrustmaster TH8S and haven't had time to mess with it yet. I only had a couple of minutes to test it and won't have time to play around with it until after the kids go to bed tonight... I guess I could wait but this question is bugging me lol.

If I remember correctly, the fully racing transmission on certain cars can act a bit weird in regards to the clutch and neutral position.

I used my ferrari 330 p4 that has the full race transmission and went to a track to enter a time trial. I was only testing the shifter so I did not push in the clutch before it let me start driving the car. The game showed it going into all of the gears correctly but would basically hang onto the last gear when in neutral... From neutral, I put it into another gear and the game registers the new gear selection.... So it looks like it is working but doesn't have a neutral position. Is this a typical behavior for that l kind of transmission?
Is it the fully adjustable manual transmission or racing transmission you put in it?

If you’re using a clutch and shifter you’ll want the manual one.

Pretty sure it's using the full race. I'm just trying to confirm that it's normal when using the full race transmission as a manual, it will not go into neutral like a regular manual transmission does.

Pretty sure it's using the full race. I'm just trying to confirm that it's normal when using the full race transmission as a manual, it will not go into neutral like a regular manual transmission does.
You’re supposed to use the paddles with full racing transmission. The fully adjustable manual transmission is in the semi-racing section (I think) in the parts shop

Last edited:
From memory, neutral only becomes available from the moment you first operate the clutch. The game automatically switches to full manual mode at this point. Without the clutch, your shifter is basically a semi auto gear selector.
To switch back from full manual mode you just pull one of your gear paddles. Remember to put your stick into neutral after races or you could have a tricky race start!

I don't think it matters which transmission is fitted in the car settings.

I think the clutch is only available in single player or normal multiplayer lobbies and unavailable in any sport mode races and time trials.

From memory, neutral only becomes available from the moment you first operate the clutch. The game automatically switches to full manual mode at this point. Without the clutch, your shifter is basically a semi auto gear selector.
To switch back from full manual mode you just pull one of your gear paddles. Remember to put your stick into neutral after races or you could have a tricky race start!

I think the clutch is only available in single player or normal multiplayer lobbies and unavailable in any sport mode races and time trials.
Thank you! I was thinking it was something funky like that... But had no clue that it does that during the online stuff.

I'll do the clutch start later tonight to finish the testing on my setup.

Above replies are correct. The Fully Customizable Racing Transmission has no clutch operatio. You need the Fully Customizable Manual Transmission fot that.
Thank you! I'm using a one of a kind (for now at least) setup and just want to completely make sure it's acting correctly.

You can't use the clutch on the fully customisable: racing transmission

Edit: you also can't stall it, which you can with the fully customisable: manual transmission.

Last edited:
You can't use the clutch on the fully customisable: racing transmission

Edit: you also can't stall it, which you can with the fully customisable: manual transmission.

Wait, you can stall the car in GT7??? I didn't know that the clutch actually does something in this game, gonna have to go try that!

Wait, you can stall the car in GT7??? I didn't know that the clutch actually does something in this game, gonna have to go try that!
It's fairly uneventful. Only really applies if you've come to a sudden stop with using the clutch. I don't recall ever stalling while pulling away.

It's fairly uneventful. Only really applies if you've come to a sudden stop with using the clutch. I don't recall ever stalling while pulling away.
Any game out there that hás that pulling away Stallin?

Seems like a hard thing to simulate with the current pedal tech

Any game out there that hás that pulling away Stallin?

Seems like a hard thing to simulate with the current pedal tech

Looks like it is possible to a certain extent but it won't be cheap. I'm guessing it could be done using a console game that uses the clutch that can stall but probably better results on the PC.

Back