Manual w/clutch: downshifting

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tower Turn 13
  • 1 comments
  • 500 views
Messages
3,587
For those of you that use clutch and h-gate, is there a best way to downshift? I usually downshift evenly through every gear but I'm concerned this is too time consuming. The reason I use every gear is for engine braking but not sure if that's really happening or if it's my imagination. There definitley seems to be a difference in gear v. braking in neutral, but I don't know for sure. Is it better to keep the gear you're in and select your cornering gear as you turn in, or to go through every gear?

Also, what do real race car drivers in GT category do?
 
Unless my setup is perfect for heel and toe I just slot into whatever gear i'm going to use on the turn's exit and release the clutch when i'm done braking. My current driving chair is too low and pedals too close to horizontal to quickly and painlessly heel and toe through each gear.
 
Back