Manual!!! :)

• Thread starter Bisse_B
  • 5 comments
Bisse_B
Hi guys

I've been using automatic shift since I started with GT4. That, I must say, was pretty stupid...

I've tried manual a few times, but since I've learned to drive (a real car) using clutch and shifter (and a lot less speed), I've always found the paddles kind of confusing, and I've given up on them, after a few laps.

Yesterday I was driving the BH 520pp wet seasonal (for most of a hole day), and let's face it, I'm not "really a racedriver" , so I was pretty pleased with my #2652nd ranking. That's as good as it normally gets.

BH is one of my favourite tracks, and by watching other driver's replays, I noticed that my braking points and cornering (hitting the apex) wasn't that bad, so the only thing I found different was the auto/Manual transmission.

I decided to try and be patient, and thereby hoped to get a more second nature feel of manual shifting, and after about an hour I was getting the hang of it. It was great fun!!!

First of all, the car sounds better, when you pick the shifts. You are able to control the car much better, especially at hairpins, since you don't loose control of the car, due to downshifts. Also it's reeeaaally nice, when you're on the straight, and you wonder wether the engine can manage 200 rpm more before you shift, and it can! Wow! This gives GT and car simulation a hole new dimension.

Is it faster? Nah, at first, I couldn't beat my record from yesterday, but I had great fun in the RX7 GT300 @Praiano's setup. Awesome tuning by El Maestro btw! Even though my time was better yesterday, I really enjoyed driving manual, which was now completely second nature, so I turned of the display, went to the inside view, and sent my consciousness into the guy in the car.

After some laps of pure excitement, I started to get more secure, and decided to take a few chances here and there, braking a little later, and suddenly, a message popped up: Now my ranking was #1575 and I was getting in the zone.

After about 15 laps more, I ended up at #552. I guess it is faster driving manual after all. Ending up as #552 in a race is still "kind of loosing", but it's by far the best I've done so far.

All in all, I can highly recommend taking the big jump, going manual. The first couple of hours feel odd, but from then on, it's very much worth the effort.

Oh, I almost forgot: Driving a stock (red!) Ferrari Dino with manual transmission beats most of what I've experienced in my life so far. :bowdown:

A question to those of you who have a clutch: Can you "roll" around a corner using the clutch, aka no connection between engine and gearbox?

Oh, I almost forgot: Driving a stock (red!) Ferrari Dino with manual transmission beats most of what I've experienced in my life so far. :bowdown:

Possibly better than the real thing, it was a long time back that I drove one & while great if I remember you had to pay attention when shifting. Heavy clutch & an open H shifter that preferred you to put the gear in solidly.

A question to those of you who have a clutch: Can you "roll" around a corner using the clutch, aka no connection between engine and gearbox?

Yes, you can coast by fully depressing the clutch.

By the way; well done on your time!

👍

Well done on your ranking OP. Manual shifting is so much fun in racing games, but PD really has to work on the clutch modeling for GT7.

Back