Matt Powers 360º at Willow Springs, between the 2nd and 3rd corner

Brazil
Porto Alegre
LazyLiquid

And my humble attempt (RAW video, i have no video capture device, only my phone):

Challenge Review:

My try wasn´t at the same quality of Matt´s entry. He did better lines, angles and had a higher corner speed from the first corner (faster tires maybe?). Also i didn´t used a S14 for it, what makes me regret about. Instead i was using a Callaway C12; i was tunning this car and the attempt came out from the heat of the moment. My thought about the challenge is that it isn´t too easy, since the straight is longer than it looks and narrow (i touched the dirt, as you can see).

I believe that its possible to do it with lower spec machines, and still having better speed and lines, even with CH tires.

Last edited:

And my humble attempt (RAW video, i have no video capture device, only my phone):

Challenge Review:

My try wasn´t at the same quality of Matt´s entry. He did better lines, angles and had a higher corner speed from the first corner (faster tires maybe?). Also i didn´t used a S14 for it, what makes me regret about. Instead i was using a Callaway C12; i was tunning this car and the attempt came out from the heat of the moment. My thought about the challenge is that it isn´t too easy, since the straight is longer than it looks and narrow (i touched the dirt, as you can see).

I believe that its possible to do it with lower spec machines, and still having better speed and lines, even with CH tires.

In Matt Power's video he's actually drifting on Horse Thief Mile, not Streets of Willow. Very similar set of corners but completely different tracks on Willow Springs. Despite that, you made a really nice attempt at it!! I'm going to try this out later. I still need to figure out a good line to drift that first corner lol

Very nice. When I first saw that video a week ago I thought it was a game at first, props to both of you

In Matt Power's video he's actually drifting on Horse Thief Mile, not Streets of Willow. Very similar set of corners but completely different tracks on Willow Springs. Despite that, you made a really nice attempt at it!! I'm going to try this out later. I still need to figure out a good line to drift that first corner lol

I was gonna say the same thing, it's Horse Thief, not Streets. Fingers crossed for a HTM DLC pack one day....kart tracks and skid pads too.

That Matt Powers vid is probably the best looking 360 I've ever seen, real life or video game.

First ever one I've seen in real life, not the first I've seen in a video game.

Every time I've seen one done in a video game, they always look accidental, or at the very best, extremely "un-precise". By that I mean, yes they do a 360, but they are completely off line, and most people usually come to a near stop while doing them.

All those 360 and 720 vids from Forza, rF, and LFS look horrible to my eyes :lol:

The only "spinning drifts" I've seen that impressed me were the "infinite spin" in @Takotako video (guy in the Corvette, T1 @ Fuji), and there was a Japanese video from GT5, I think @alpacaflip posted it back in the day, where two Mercedes SLS did tandem 360s at deep forest (sharp right before entering first tunnel)

Other than that, everything else I've seen has been, meh...

It would be cool to see people doing these, but to my eyes, you need to exit the spin without correction, be bang on the proper line to still hit all clips, and maintain speed. Without those three things, any kind of "spin drift" is just a "spin" in my eyes.

That Matt Powers vid is probably the best looking 360 I've ever seen, real life or video game.

First ever one I've seen in real life, not the first I've seen in a video game.

Every time I've seen one done in a video game, they always look accidental, or at the very best, extremely "un-precise". By that I mean, yes they do a 360, but they are completely off line, and most people usually come to a near stop while doing them.

All those 360 and 720 vids from Forza, rF, and LFS look horrible to my eyes :lol:

The only "spinning drifts" I've seen that impressed me were the "infinite spin" in @Takotako video (guy in the Corvette, T1 @ Fuji), and there was a Japanese video from GT5, I think @alpacaflip posted it back in the day, where two Mercedes SLS did tandem 360s at deep forest (sharp right before entering first tunnel)

Other than that, everything else I've seen has been, meh...

It would be cool to see people doing these, but to my eyes, you need to exit the spin without correction, be bang on the proper line to still hit all clips, and maintain speed. Without those three things, any kind of "spin drift" is just a "spin" in my eyes.
You ain't seen me 360 gvs lol.
Isho has a perfect 360 in one of his vids too.

You ain't seen me 360 gvs lol.
Isho has a perfect 360 in one of his vids too.

Dang, must have missed that one, I'll check it out.

I'm not trying to say "no one does good 360s"...it's just that 99% of the vids of them that I've seen where people are like "check my sick 360", the driver corrects, is way off line, or is slow as hell (or all 3 lol).

To me, it's just like a reverse entry. We all try them, we all mess them up sometimes, and that's totally fine...but we usually roast people on the forums who post vids of "sweet reverse entries" that are actually quite horrid when you break them down.

Edit:
@Lazy Liquid, don't want it to seem like I thought your 360 was no good. It was actually pretty damn good...that's what I like seeing. My rant is more about the random stuff you see on YouTube :lol:

I was doing this section earlier, and it's actually a really fun spot to do a 360....in some ways, it makes the section flow better.

Last edited:
Edit:
@Lazy Liquid, don't want it to seem like I thought your 360 was no good. It was actually pretty damn good...that's what I like seeing. My rant is more about the random stuff you see on YouTube :lol:

I was doing this section earlier, and it's actually a really fun spot to do a 360....in some ways, it makes the section flow better.

I know what you mean...
I feel the same thing about some or most of the spin entries that i´ve seen around the last years (GT5/6), about the speed and the self-correcting after dive into the corner, sometimes understering way too much and drifting like a drunk grandma.

Before of this capture i was already trying this 360 and between many fails, i did one or two better lines than this one, getting better apex aproaches, better corner exit speed and avoiding to drop off-road partialy. I have on my side the excuse of the C12 be a car that we can´t consider "small", you know? :D

Besides, i also was trying to do the same 360 going back and it is possible to and even easier since you can get out of the third corner faster going back than from the second going regular, even considering the uphill road elevation.

Oh, by the way: I got suprised and a bit disapointed to know that Matt didn´t exactly the same corners. They looks so similar in the video that i didn´t even thinked about research if it was the very same spot. Maybe that straight is a bit shorter, what gives the idea of much higher speed and even higher grip recover while drifting. I don´t know...

EDIT:
I changed my entry video for the original one with the entire section. I did the cut for the 360 inside using that edition tools from the youtube site itself, and after the upload i noticed a small lack of frames. The full video looks smoother, at least from here.

Last edited:
I tried to 360 in my 200sx and its sooo hard. (Especially if you use an automatic) manual works so much better, but what do I know, trying to drift an auto diahatsu midget on tsukuba yesterday.

Oh, and awesome drift lazyliquid

Back