Maxima or Altima?

• Thread starter emad
  • 17 comments
eMadman
I'm helping my dad pick out a new car and we're debating between the 2007 Maxima or a 2006/7 Altima. Either one we get will be fully loaded with a v6 engine but I can't seem to find any conclusive reviews on the Maxima.

Consumer Reports reviewers are all over the place on the maxima - some citing glaring issues in terms of comfort, fuel economy, and even reliability but not really explaining them in the text. Strange since both cars have the same engine and transmission. Then the mileage numbers these members are posting are vastly different from what people have submitted to fueleconomy.gov.

In terms of comfort, I thought both cars used the same interior materials and parts as they both come with the exact same list of features.

In terms of price, the Maxima is about $15-16000 depending on the dealer. The altima is about 16-17000.

Which to get? Why?

Well the Maxima is actually the slightly upscale version of the Altima, and has about 5 more horses on its only engine whereas the Altima has 3 engine options. If anything he would have to check out both for himself and see which is better. They both should get around 20/29 for the V6 according to my Consumer Guide.

Are you sure you don't have those prices reversed? The Altima is a tier below the Max in Nissan's lineup.

I drove an Altima when shopping a few years ago (eventually bought the TSX). It was a very nice car for the price (a very nice car in general), and with the big V6 there was not much reason to pay more for a Maxima. But if you're actually paying less for a Max, I would consider getting it. Sit in them, drive them, buy whichever you like better.

My friend has an 08' Maxima and its much nicer then the Altima. The interior of the Maxima uses very nice materials. The plastic is not hard and cheap, its soft and well not cheap feeling. The Maxima looks a lot better too.

My honest opinion of the cars is that you're essentially buying the same thing, ultimately with slightly different front and rear ends. They're very nearly the same size, share a lot of mechanical bits and pieces, and even drive somewhat similar. The newer Maxima, is a bit different than its predecessor, and consequently there is a bit more difference between them... But for a short time, I don't think you would have lost out on either.

When it comes down to it, I'd say shop around. Your price range seems like its high enough where you can probably pick up a brand-new MY2008 for both of them at a good price (dealers are getting desperate to offload inventory). I'm personally impartial to the Altima 2.5S, as the power is more than adequate, and the fuel economy gains are well worth it. Just avoid the pre-facelift models, the quality of the vehicles is otherwise terrible. We had a 2003 2.5S, and while it was fun to drive, I didn't care much for riding in it.

I guess, more or less, its going to come down to what body style you like.

Are you sure you don't have those prices reversed? The Altima is a tier below the Max in Nissan's lineup.

I drove an Altima when shopping a few years ago (eventually bought the TSX). It was a very nice car for the price (a very nice car in general), and with the big V6 there was not much reason to pay more for a Maxima. But if you're actually paying less for a Max, I would consider getting it. Sit in them, drive them, buy whichever you like better.
The price on the maxima is actually lower. While it has a new sticker price that's $5000 higher than a similarly equipped Altima, it depreciates a lot faster. Especially in the topsy-turvy Canadian used car market. It's a bigger car with slightly worse fuel economy. Between the two, the Maxima will most likely have a drive quality that suits my dad better, but the smaller feeling Altima is probably the better choice for my mom as she doesn't feel comfortable in cars that feel big. We'll see what my dad settles on. In the end, it's his wallet and he'll go for the biggest Japanese car under 3 years old that he can find for under $17000 Canadian.

So you've narrowed it down to those two? Both great cars but I was just looking around on autotrader and realized you can get G35's and G35X's for the same price and that'd be something I'd pick over the Altima or Maxima in terms of price.

It's a bigger car with slightly worse fuel economy. Between the two, the Maxima will most likely have a drive quality that suits my dad better, but the smaller feeling Altima is probably the better choice for my mom as she doesn't feel comfortable in cars that feel big. We'll see what my dad settles on.

Like I said before, they both get the same economy (save for the 4-cylinder Altima), and are practically the exact same size. It's just the Maxima is a bit more luxurious and better put together (and has about 5 more hp). So really he'd have to see which interior suits him better, and what price interests him more.
(This is all if you are looking at the '06-'07 cars)

I wouldn't touch the 4-cylinder... that QR engine has so many issues that I wouldn't be surprised if your model came up for recall in a few years.

The Altima appeals to me more... slightly less elbow room, slightly more sport. Just perfect.

Maxima hands down. I owned one and it was by far the best saloon I've ever driven.

JCE
Maxima hands down. I owned one and it was by far the best saloon I've ever driven.

Didn't you have one of the older generations though?

If I were choosing between the two, I'd lean towards a Maxima. I've heard that the six speed model is quite fun, but I'm sure your dad is looking for an automatic. I've spent some time riding with my cousin in their ~2004 Altima, which is the same thing, and I liked it. Has a lot of grunt and seems to handle pretty well. The suspension is definitely tuned for a little bit of handling, and you can notice that a little more than on other cars on bumps and railroad crossings. Never been in a Maxima before, so I can't help you out there.

Also, I don't remember my cousin's parents ever needing to take it to the shop for anything in the last 4 years or so of ownership.

So you've narrowed it down to those two? Both great cars but I was just looking around on autotrader and realized you can get G35's and G35X's for the same price and that'd be something I'd pick over the Altima or Maxima in terms of price.

Its funny that you should say that, when i went looking for a new car I narrowed it down to the G35 (4 door) and the 6th gen (04-07) Maxima. Style, performance and the amount of performance parts (Stillen.com ftw!) won for me and I got an 03 G35 sedan. 2 weeks later my friend bought an 04 Maxima 3.5 SE, and although his is loaded with more features (the majority of which he doesn't even use/has turned off), I'm still happier with my G.

emad - Although the two seem simular, there are some differences, mostly with comfort/features. The Maxima has the auto dimming rear view, power seats, and if your spending the extra money to get a fully loaded version, it also comes with heated and auto telescoping steering wheel, and even a power blind for the rear window.

I can tell you from first hand experiences with the Maxima that the reliability issues are minor, if at all. Its VQ35 is basically bullet proof, and any problems i've seen/read about vary from exhaust rattle to rear deck rattle under heavy bass. Gas mileage isn't bad, about normal for a V6, so unless you have a heavy foot (the engine loves the high rpms in terms of peak hp, and you'll find yourself getting in trouble with the law after you realize how fun the car becomes in the higher rpms, lol). If I was too choose between the Altima and Maxima, I'd go Maxima.

I owned a '95 (and my mom drives a '96) and they are/were brilliant. Nissan's VG and VQ engines are gems. The best thing about Maximas is if you're going for a used one they are similarly priced along side Altimas so you get more car for about the same money. Plus I prefer the interior of the Maxima more as well.

I feel that the Altima has become a sort of fast Camry, commonplace and bland, while the Maxima is much more rare and special, chiefly because it's a slightly worse idea.

The Maxima is both a slightly worse idea and much more distinctive. I'd have the Max, just so I don't have a car with clones. But, I believe that's the way to choose between the pair.

From the looks of it, we'll be going Maxima. We just need to make a few trips to the local dealers.

I look at the Maxima more as Nissan's version of the Toyota Avalon. It's got that grandpa image going... only the Maxima gives the cool grandpa vibe - you know, the grandpa who used to have a Chevelle as a daily driver :).

The Avalon is more that country club grandpa who's really no fun but everybody likes to say they love him because he buys them stuff.

Last edited:
That's totally what's happening. he talked about depreciation earlier, thus Maximas being cheaper.

And, I guess he still wants it in like-new condition, hence the very high prices. For that money, I'd probably go for a few used Germans, but I guess he wants a not-quite-used car.

Pre-Owned, if you will.

Go Maxima, although the launch models do indeed have some quality control/reliability issues (my aunt has a launch '04 Max and it's given her a decent bit of trouble).

Latest Posts

Back