• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 22 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
This a thread I'm hosting in which we take a look at this year's Indianpolis 500. Share your views as to who will win, which team will dominate, who will secure pole position, who will be the best rookie, who will disappoint, and much more.

I had a full-blown introduction, but since the time my online account was suspended on AOL, I decided to just get this thread out. As you know, Sam Hornish Jr. captured pole. Other than that, there was no bumping. Danica Patrick had a stellar 2005 campaign, but will start 10th for the big race.

Indy 500 predictions, analysis, picks, and other stuff is welcome for you to chat about here in this thread.

Okay, I hate to be a downer to start off, but it's kind of sad that the biggest technical innovation at Indy this year is Penske's mirrors. Plus the fact that, while this is not the first time one engine has been in every starting car (Offenhauser did it one year in the 60's IIRC), it's the first time that only one engine was entered.

Plus, the complete farce of "Bump Day," with NO BUMPING!!! Like the Tony Stewart dog-and-pony-show last year (two years ago?), the whole "will he/won't he" of Ryan Briscoe getting in A.J. Foyt's third car was just ridiculous.

Hopefully, the two series will get back together soon. Or, if they don't, like Robin Miller has reported, Champ Car will clear their May schedule and lease a bunch of IRL cars so Tracy, Allmendinger, etc. can participate in the 500. (Fingers crossed for either option.)

(Ever notice Robin Miller's column is the only one on speedtv.com with the disclaimer "The views expressed are not necessarily those of Speed Channel, Fox, NewsCorp, etc.") :D

Okay, now that I've been a total downer, I'm actually really looking forward to the race. It's about the only IRL race I still watch, because it is the Indianapolis 500. Four intense laps of qualifying, "Back Home Again in Indiana," "Gentlemen, START YOUR ENGINES!!!" (especially done by Tony Hulman), the Borg-Warner Trophy, a bottle of milk and all that. Gives me goosebumps every year. Can't beat it. :)

Who's going to win? I'd have to go with the general consensus and say either Penske or GanASSi. I'm hoping Sam Hornish Jr. does it this year, since the Yanks have had only three Indy winners since the IRL started (there's an irony in that). Outside of that, you can never discount Andretti-Green and although I'm not a fan of Michael Andretti, I'd like to see him pull it off in his last Indy 500. Like the Red Sox, end the "Curse."

Lots of traffic (13 mph between pole and the back row will do that), lots of yellows, so pit work will be essential (can't beat Penske on that) and I'm betting on a 10-20 lap sprint after the final caution period. Will certainly be interesting.

And of course, they'll still spend half the ABC broadcast talking about Danica Patrick.

Can't wait.There will be 1100 miles of racing on tv and I plan to plant my a** in front of the tv and catch it all.First the 500 and then the 600.Andretti is my choice to win.Witch one is up in the air.

Come on now, Mulsanne. I'm sure Todd Harris won't make ABC Sports into "ADC Sports" (for "All Danica Channel"). Besides, he's no longer doing this deal, so no worries. I don't have winners. But I do wish that Danica Patrick would win. Because let's face it. If you're going to make a statement by winning your first event, do it on the grandest stage. The IRL's grandest stage is Indy. You win that race, and not only do you help yourself in the IRL standings, but you also get to be on the big trophy while you drink milk (unless you're lactose intolerant). Danica could have won had it not been for some fuel pressure issues. While not as stellar in qualifying, she can at least prove again that she isn't the Bode Miller of the IndyCar Series.

I will agree. Penske vs. Ganassi will be the key story. Which driver? That remains to be seen. Pure picks to win... call me crazy, but if I had to choose, I'd go with either Helio Castroneves or Sam Hornish Jr. Marco Andretti would be my ultimate dark horse.

And there you have it. Three guys and one determined lady. Carry on.

Other than the 500, we don’t get any IRL coverage in Australia. So I won’t be putting any predictions in – but I will get up at 2am to watch it. :)

I am noticing that the stick-and-ball morons at ESPN have backed off a little on the Danica-mania. The same morons who tarred and feathered Robby Gordon last year for daring to say that Danica had a built-in advantage over the field (her low weight). He never criticised her driving ability, just the IRL rulebook. And they absolutely lynched him for that.

I wish her all the best. But I just hate to see the Tiger Woods-like coverage seeping into the IRL, where every other driver is ignored (even the winner) and Danica, wherever she finishes, is the main/only story covered.

But back to the discussion about the race. I'm still excited and looking forward to it.

But Mulsanne, how would you compare her image to racing (much less the IndyCar Series) to Dale Earnhardt Jr. in NASCAR? One person called into "WindTunnel with Dave Despain" who was all fired up about how the TV announcers seem to quiet down and turn up the volume when Dale Jr. is leading the race. I personally like Jeff Gordon more. Underrated talent.

Anyhow, which coverage do you think is more apparent and more noticable: Danica Patrick or Dale Earnhardt Jr.?

Considering Earnhardt Jr. has won not only a race, but the race (Daytona 500), I believe he has earned some of the positive coverage he gets.

Yes, this is my favorite time of year!! The Indianapolis 500, the Coca Cola 600, and of course, the Monaco Grand Prix! The three biggest races on the planet taking place on the same day!! Man, it doesn't get any better than this. My predictions (totally unbiased, of course!):

Indianapolis 500:
1. Helio Castroneves
2. Tony Kanaan
3. Michael Andretti (sorry, as much as I respect him,
it won't be his year!)
4. Dan Wheldon
5. Danica Patrick

Coca Cola 600:
1. Jimmie Johnson
2. Kevin Harvick
3. Carl Edwards
4. Brian Vickers
5. Jeff Gordon
DNF's: Tony Stewart, Kurt Busch, Kenny Wallace, Derrike Cope,
Kyle Petty, Greg Biffle (sorry).

Monaco GP
1. Juan Pablo Montoya
2. Michael Schumacher
3. Giancarlo Fisichella
4. Kimi Raikkonen
5. Scott Speed (one can always hope . . . then again
I can easily put Takuma Sato in for points!)

Can't wait to see the races, even if they don't turn out like my predictions!! Who cares . . . the races are the juice! Can't wait for next year's Indy race; the thought of Champ Car drivers entering the 500. Katherine Legge versus Danica Patrick?! Personally, I think Legge could drive rings around Patrick! I hope it all works out the way Robin Miller fortells!

If the CCWS and IRL finally get the merger done for 2007, then we'll get to watch Danica vs Katherine at every single race on the 2007 schedule! 👍

Blake
Other than the 500, we don’t get any IRL coverage in Australia. So I won’t be putting any predictions in – but I will get up at 2am to watch it. :)
Liar!

I was watching the practice and the Indy Pro Series here today at my dads house. There was good pace in the top 12. I don't really know who will win, as I dont' get to watch often. I wont get to see the race though, as I'll be going back home.

…on public television. :rolleyes:

Infact, I don’t think we’re getting the 500 this year. :(

Thundercat
Yes, this is my favorite time of year!! The Indianapolis 500, the Coca Cola 600, and of course, the Monaco Grand Prix! The three biggest races on the planet taking place on the same day!!

I must protest; what about Sebring, Le Mans and to a lesser extent in my opinion the Daytona 500, you know, it's only the SuperBowl of NASCAR!!

Maybe, three of the biggest races on the planet. But not the three biggest.

m.piedgros

Well people, Sam Hornish Jr. defied the odds as the young man from Defiance, OH won it all. I wanted Marco Andretti to upset Sam Hornish Jr. to be honest. Michael Andretti could have won, but had to back off. So it's now 15 events without a win. Never count out an Andretti when it comes to Indy. The only IRL racer of the fairer sex was Danica Patrick, and she finiahed 8th. The best thing about Danica Patrick is that she is very focused and not in any rush to win a race. She'd like to win (personally I do too), but she's not extremely worried. I think her highest placing was 5th. She led the event, all to have it all coming back on this wave-by deal. I only seen the second half of the event because I overslept. I had to take a shower and listen to the event on ESPN Radio (AM 790 here in Houston). All in all, it was all about the difference between heartthump and heartbreak. Marco Andretti suffered the biggest heartbreak as Sam Hornish Jr. pulled off the holeshot to win. A college football analogy would be when Penn State played at Michigan and Michigan tried to un-undefeat Penn State from pure glory... and Michigan won with only seconds left.

Is it okay if we call Sam Hornish Jr. the Defiance Daredevil? He defied the odds as he had that blunder of a pit stop. This is exceptional talent. Now that the Indy 500 is over, it's time to dial it down and return to the rest of the regular season. Next round is at Watkins Glen, and I'll do that race in my regular IRL thread.

Marco did extremely well for a 19 year old. I think dad was only there to help him out though, not really go all out. Though that Marco and I are the same age, he brings me down. He's already a racer and I don't even have a job. :D

Sure, Michael didn't win a cup, but his son came close, and being that's he 19, I have a feeling we'll be seeing a whole lot of Marco over these next years.👍

I would have laughed for days had Marco won in his first try, while his dad has lost the race in 15 different ways during his 15 tries.

I'm not much of an Indy fan, but I found the first 10 mins and last 10 mins pretty good (It was pure luck catching either, and a efat of God to catch both)

I still don't get the appeal of oval (or rounded rectangle for indianapolis) racing. but the speed and the close proximity of the racing is enthralling for short periods of time.

WOW! What a race!

Overall, it was an excellent race. Plenty of lead changes, some controversy a thrilling finish between two American drivers. What more could you ask for?

Honestly, I was hoping Michael Andretti could pull it off. At that final restart, I was just praying he would hold them off. (And I have never been a fan of Michael Andretti, except when he was in F1.) And when Marco passed him, I was screaming at the TV, saying something like: "You're young, you'll have plenty of chances to win, stay behind your Dad and let him win one!" (Yes, I am disturbed.) :D

I didn't want Marco to win because I have a problem with rookies winning the big races. So when Hornish came up on Marco, I was cheering him on. I thought Hornish had lost it when he tried to stick the nose under Marco's car going into Turn 3 on the next-to-last-lap. There was just no way he was going to be able to make up that much ground.

And then here comes Hornish. What a last lap! What a move! I was jumping up and down, cheering my head off. I just can't believe he made up that much ground in just over 3 miles. BRAVO, Sam Hornish! BRAVO! 👍 👍

I have to say I felt sorry for Dixon getting the black flag for blocking. Yeah, he was warned by the officials, but the incident where he recieved the black flag, Kanaan passed him anyway going into Turn 3. Why ruin someone's chance to win the biggest race of the year for a move he didn't even profit from?

And one more reason for me to hate Barry Bonds. He's a jerk, he's fueled with steroids, and then he just HAD to hit No. 715 yesterday. The greatest finish in Indy 500 history (the first time the lead changed on the last lap) and what does the mainstream media talk about? No. 715! :grumpy: :mad: :confused: :irked: 🤬 :banghead: 👎 I mean, I could understand the coverage if he'd have passed Hank Aaron's HR total. But for SECOND on the HR list?

ExigeExcel
I still don't get the appeal of oval (or rounded rectangle for indianapolis) racing. but the speed and the close proximity of the racing is enthralling for short periods of time.

You more or less answered your own question; and depending on how things go in the race, the whole thing can be exciting from start to finish.

Also, oval racing isn't as simple or easy as it looks. Oval tracks can cause cars to want to understeer, and you have to be on the ball the whole time to keep off the outside wall while still maneuvering around the opposition.

Lastly, as an Ohio boy myself, I have to say I'm damned proud of Sam. 👍

Elegy
You more or less answered your own question; and depending on how things go in the race, the whole thing can be exciting from start to finish.
Well no because I still can't see how anyone could watch more than an hour at the very most.

Also, oval racing isn't as simple or easy as it looks. Oval tracks can cause cars to want to understeer, and you have to be on the ball the whole time to keep off the outside wall while still maneuvering around the opposition.
That's the same for all racing, except for track based racing there's usually alot more variation in the corners.

The 90th Indy 500 was the is the first Indy 500 I've ever seen from start to finish.

I really wanted to see Michael Andretti finally score his 1st Indy 500 win and break the Andretti curse. Marco was surprisingly amazing (seeing as how it was only his 4th IRL race) and almost won. I was literally jumping on the couch when he took the lead.

But the Andretti curse strikes again... Sam Hornish put together an amazing final lap pulled off an amazing pass on the frontstretch. Congratulations to Sam for winning the Indy 500.

But if you thought this year's Indy 500 was good, then you ain't seen nothin yet. Keep hoping that the CCWS and IRL finally merge and bring us the 2007 IndyCar World Series. If that happens, then we will once again see 33 of the world's best open wheel drivers racing in the Indy 500.

Back