Mazda 787B

  • Thread starter Thread starter Crazed_Coupe
  • 27 comments
  • 3,402 views
Messages
1,526
Messages
Crazed_Coupe
So i'm about to blow some well earned green on this LM car but before I do I have a few questions. Does this car come with the correct tires that were used when this car raced back in the 90's such as racing hard tires or racing soft tires, does Mazda plan on bringing this car back to the 24HR of Le Mans to compete once again in the future, and when were rotary motors banned if at all from the 24HR race?
 
Last edited:
Rotary engines were banned the year Mazda won, because the 787B was their last ditch effort at a Le Mans win, if I remember correctly. And yes, the 787B won Le Mans in 1991. And it should come with Racing Hards just like all the race cars I buy. Hope it helps 👍.
 
Pretty much all the race cars except some of the really slow ones seem to come with Race Hards. No idea how that would correspond to the real tires used at the time, but that actually gets into a whole other discussion.

If you read the description it tells you a whole lot of presumably factual stuff about the car. It did race a couple of times and won (I think only) once.

Sadly, we will probably never see a 4-rotor engine at Le Mans, or anywhere outside of historic racing again. Closest current thing I know of is a (much much slower but still glorious sounding, although surely not as good) three-rotor in the tube frame RX-8 bodied Rolex GT cars.

The cars themselves are quite old and from a long-abandoned set of regulations, it would have to be a whole new scratch-built "resurrection" if it were to happen, which it won't.
 
heres the short version which you can find on Wikipedia, not GTP...
the 787 comes with RH tires, they are no more correct for this car than any other in the game
Mazda is not planning to return the 787 to racing since rotary's were banned following Mazda's win and its still in effect. Even if it weren't banned, no 20+ year old car is going to be either competitive(at the level of LeMans) nor built to current rules. Much easier to produce a winner from a clean sheet in this case than to resurrect an illegal dinosaur :D
 
heres the short version which you can find on Wikipedia, not GTP...
the 787 comes with RH tires, they are no more correct for this car than any other in the game
Mazda is not planning to return the 787 to racing since rotary's were banned following Mazda's win and its still in effect. Even if it weren't banned, no 20+ year old car is going to be either competitive(at the level of LeMans) nor built to current rules. Much easier to produce a winner from a clean sheet in this case than to resurrect an illegal dinosaur :D

Well I obviously didn't think they were going to bring back the same old race car that they used back in the 90's but maybe bring one back to life, as in create a clone but because the quad rotary motors were and still are banned apparently that won't be happening but thanks for you feedback! :)
 
I bought and drove it tonight for the first time and it's great stock! With RS tires it sticks great, corners nice, excellent acceleration and sounds unique too! Great buy!
 
SoCal Senator
I bought and drove it tonight for the first time and it's great stock! With RS tires it sticks great, corners nice, excellent acceleration and sounds unique too! Great buy!

The sound is the selling point for me. It sounds like an angry swarm of bees that eats asphalt for breakfast 👍.
 
Well I obviously didn't think they were going to bring back the same old race car that they used back in the 90's but maybe bring one back to life, as in create a clone but because the quad rotary motors were and still are banned apparently that won't be happening but thanks for you feedback! :)

Anything is possible. Some major rule changes are coming for 2014, which has caused Porsche to return to Le Mans, and next year the Delta Wing is going to Le Mans, so anything is possible.
 
Anything is possible. Some major rule changes are coming for 2014, which has caused Porsche to return to Le Mans, and next year the Delta Wing is going to Le Mans, so anything is possible.

I really am falling in love with this car now, I've always heard about it but never gave it a chance. :D That Delta Wing looks very odd, almost like it can't take a turn because it looks so long and skinny!
 
Paul2448
next year the Delta Wing is going to Le Mans

Does that car remind you of the Toyota triathlon race car from GT4 (mostly from the rear), or is it just me?
 
The 1991 Mazda 787B did return to Le Mans just for a demonstration. Mazda has plans to return to Le mans some in the near future, at the moment they are running 3 Rotor in the ALMS.
 
I really am falling in love with this car now, I've always heard about it but never gave it a chance. :D That Delta Wing looks very odd, almost like it can't take a turn because it looks so long and skinny!


The car is designed to be efficent. It should use almost no gas, with close to no drag due to it's shap, its 300 HP engine, and it's weight of 475 Kg. Also, it uses ground effects to help with grip, so it will help with turns and not hurt the drag.


Also, Le Mans doesn't have many turns, which should help 👍




Does that car remind you of the Toyota triathlon race car from GT4 (mostly from the rear), or is it just me?

I don't really think so, but I can see where your coming from, for sure.
 
The 1991 Mazda 787B did return to Le Mans just for a demonstration. Mazda has plans to return to Le mans some in the near future, at the moment they are running 3 Rotor in the ALMS.

It was nice to see the 787B come back even for just a demo, too bad he never even began to push the revs on it. Then again, you don't want to harm rare historic engines, and they surely wouldn't want to risk McDreamy crashing the thing.

No rotaries in the mazdas in ALMS, just Grand-Am. Unless there's some new car planned that I haven't heard about.

There's a Super GT/JGTC car or two in GT5 that sound like they must have a 3-rotor, actually they sound just like the 787B to me. I don't actually know much of anything about the real-world Super GT though, except that I wish I knew more about it and could watch the races live. The game SAYS that the fantasy RX-8 LM car has a 3-rotor, but that thing sounds like a turd.
 
The Yellow RX-7 can't remember the team at the moment. I believe it's a 3 rotor. Didn't know they were running V-6's in the ALMS Mazda. Though what of the Mazda that been under testing?
 
The idle sound is enough to buy the 787B

Sounds great when idling indeed, but I have a problem when driving it that I don't want to shift it correctly as it just keeps sounding better and better as gets farther and farther past the optimal shift point.
 
heres the short version which you can find on Wikipedia, not GTP...
the 787 comes with RH tires, they are no more correct for this car than any other in the game
Mazda is not planning to return the 787 to racing since rotary's were banned following Mazda's win and its still in effect. Even if it weren't banned, no 20+ year old car is going to be either competitive(at the level of LeMans) nor built to current rules. Much easier to produce a winner from a clean sheet in this case than to resurrect an illegal dinosaur :D

The 787b did 362 laps in 91.. The winner in 2011 only did 355 laps! You will find that the old 90s group c cars are a hell of a lot fastes than todays cars.
 
The 787b did 362 laps in 91.. The winner in 2011 only did 355 laps! You will find that the old 90s group c cars are a hell of a lot fastes than todays cars.

There's more to it then that. The amount of fuel cars are allowed to carry will have changed in that time, the more stops you have to make, the fewer laps you get to run over the same time period. Teams were triple-stinting tyres this year too, which would of been unheard of back then. You can only triple-stint if the compound is much harder. You also have to take weather conditions into account too.
 
The 787b did 362 laps in 91.. The winner in 2011 only did 355 laps! You will find that the old 90s group c cars are a hell of a lot fastes than todays cars.

There is a little question about chiccanes as well.
 
Thanks for posting that video VCX. That was a lot better than the piece I saw on TV -- which also made it appear that Dempsey was driving it. Unless maybe he drove it too, I could swear what they showed didn't have it working even that hard. I know he does sometimes drive the older 4-rotor Mazda(the name of which always escapes me).
 

Nice vid. I wished they showed the speedo too. :)
 
The number 55 car that won Le Mans is going to be at Goodwood this year.:drool:

I read somewhere that the drivers suffered some bad luck after winning. One was practically deafened, one was involved in a serious road traffic accident that was his fault, and the other, I don't remember. Probably on the net somewhere though.

There was also a 787C.
 
I remember seeing someone in this post saying the 787B and any other old racer wouldn't compete anymore at the current level?? Am I not right in saying no one has ever beaten the lap record set in 1999 in le mans by a Toyota GT-ONE?
 
Back