Mazda RX-7 Handling Problem

• Thread starter Synt_Kei
  • 5 comments
Canada
Winnipeg, MB
HomeSquirt
I have an '02 Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A. It's my pride and joy. I just love the car, but it has a problem with steering.
It seems that whenever I accelerate while cornering, the front wheels lift up off the ground and cause the car to understeer. I've tried resetting the suspension and using different tires but nothing is working. I have a chassis reinforcement installed, so if that's the problem, I don't want to fix it.

The setup is as follows:

Body/Chassis:
Weight Reduction 3
Window Weight Reduc.
Carbon Hood
Chassis Reinforce.
Aero. F0 R28
Ballast A0 P0

Engine, Intake, Exhaust, Turbo, Trans.:
Highest Possible Upgrades

Drivetrain:
Twin Plate Clutch
SemiRacing Flywheel
Adjustable LSD
Initial 10
Accel. 40
Brake 20
Carbon Driveshaft

Suspension:

Full Custom
Ride Height F-20 R-20
Spring Rate F14.0 R15.5
Extension F4 R3
Compress. F4 R3
Anti-Roll F4 R4
Camber F5.0 R2.0
Toe F0.20 R-0.20

Brakes:

F10 R10

Tires:

F Soft Racing
R Soft Racing

Please help. I love this car so much and I want to be able to drive it without any problems.

I would suggest turning up the anti roll bars and damper stiffness, more so in the rear than in the front. Just stiffen up those two to avoid such a large transfer of weight and then try it.

If you're still having problems with under/oversteer then fiddle around with the brake balance and LSD settings as well.

And finally, if for some odd reason your issues persist, put tires with higher grip levels on the front to solve understeer, i.e. RS on front and RH on back to solve a severe understeer problem.

I would suggest turning up the anti roll bars and damper stiffness, more so in the rear than in the front. Just stiffen up those two to avoid such a large transfer of weight and then try it.

If you're still having problems with under/oversteer then fiddle around with the brake balance and LSD settings as well.

And finally, if for some odd reason your issues persist, put tires with higher grip levels on the front to solve understeer, i.e. RS on front and RH on back to solve a severe understeer problem.

This helped a ton. Thanks! :)👍
Here's the settings for the suspension and such
Suspension
Ride Height F-20 R-20
Spring Rate F14.0 R15.5
Extension F6 R10
Compress. F6 R10
Anti-Roll F4 R7
Camber F3.0 R2.0
Toe F0.10 R-0.20

LSD
Initial 10
Accel. 30
Decel. 20

Brakes
Balance F8 R10
I tried using Medium Racing tires on the back and Soft ones on the front, but the back end kept getting loose so I kept Soft Racing on front and rear.

Last edited:
Sadly I don't play Gran Turismo anymore but that's some basic knowledge that you should always keep in mind.
Stiffer settings in the rear= oversteer, softer back= understeer. But it varies with the weight balance, drivetrain configuration, etc. of each car.

Back