Mazda Turnpike - Hakone

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 7 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

First I want to thank CostasDrifter for sending me the movie.
After watching I suggested this awesome roadway in Japan.

In this road is the modern drifting started in Japan, so why not coming to GT6?
Another reason is the similarity with The Green Hell (Nurburgring - Germany) so why not get the Japanese version too?

Down the Tomei Expressway, about an hour’s drive from Tokyo, sits roughly 16 km of blacktop escapism: Hakone Turnpike. In the picturesque west of Kanagawa Prefecture, overlooking Sagami Bay with panoramic views of Mount Fuji, the Turnpike operates as a private toll road running along a ridge leading to Odawara.

Groundbreaking for the road began in 1962 and for most of its life it was known simply as the Hakone Turnpike. It took the pioneers of drifting from the hubbub of civilization to remote mountain passes along Lake Ashi, the legendary winding touge where drifting began.

Hakone is well known for its volcanic hot springs, but to those in the know it’s also a driver’s paradise. Built in 1962 and steeped in automotive history since, the Turnpike is a popular route to secluded mountain passes where concerned ears cannot hear screeching tyres.

The turnpike can take motivated drivers to roads far off the beaten track. Off camber switchbacks, where drifting is rumoured to have started its long journey to public notoriety, or tight and twisty tarmac, where hashiriya battled on the touge until the sunrise, away from the public and authorities.

Immortalised by video games, videos and culture; Acts 9 and 10 of Initial D Fifth Stage saw the Toyo Tires Turnpike hosting battles between Ryousuke’s FC and Shinigami’s Skyline (you can even lease and drive replicas of Takumi’s AE86 and the Takahashi brothers RX-7s).
You can even get behind the wheel of an R35 GTR for about $8/10 minutes.

hakone_map.png

upload_2015-1-2_10-36-55.png

upload_2015-1-2_10-28-35.png

Vote for the other circuits as well, thanks for voting!

Great choice! 👍 👍
IRL I have driven on it.
The video left me speechless. :eek:

The uphill section just after Sector 3 starts on Sierra always reminds me of it. :dopey:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

This would be awesome if PD included all the pull outs and the parking lot up at the Mazda Sky lounge. Great for cruising and meets, as well as touge, drift, Hillclimb and downhill racing.

Back