MC:LA photomode gallery

• Thread starter CWR
  • 20 comments

CWR

CWR63
CWR63
This thread's missing a photomode gallery! I have seen some excellent photos made...by other people...from MC:LA - despite its limitations. So I'll start the ball rolling here:

flyZ-01.jpg

flyZ-02.jpg

flyZ-03.jpg

flyZ-04.jpg

cop-DOH.jpg

These are my first using the PS3 version of the game - here are some of my old 360 version:

69HPCamaro.jpg

CCfinishsoreloser.jpg

Artsyshot01.jpg

RDT-15-pane-ref.jpg

AMR-15-pane-ref.jpg

batrivi-12.jpg

55-cab-02.jpg

Forza-S5-02.jpg

RC-chevelle-07.jpg

Primer-5.jpg

RFD-fin-1.jpg

RFD-jump-2.jpg

sonic-slide.jpg

55-bopper-03.jpg

bestia_02.jpg

newer-Boxcutter-04.jpg

Titanic2-02.jpg

foggy-felix.jpg

corsair-d-day-2.jpg

Cleaver-C6-02.jpg

CF-RX-7-05.jpg

CF-Boxcars-06.jpg

P-51-07.jpg

P-51-12.jpg

BR-crash-4.jpg

boxcutter-8.jpg

Malibu-disney-1.jpg

Rivi-dusk-1.jpg

Sunset-Rivi-1.jpg

dusk-2.jpg

panic-stop-2.jpg

55-rev-mooneyes-4.jpg

RX-81.jpg

RX-8start1.jpg

Gulffinish1.jpg

GulfGTphoto5.jpg

Beater01a.jpg

Photofinishwin.jpg

3waytiewin.jpg

The PS3 is HDMI and the 360 is composite - I don't know if this explains the differences in size, saturation and compression between the two consoles, but it might? :boggled:

Last edited:
Oh, I'm getting GT5 - it's a different type of game though; a racing game as opposed to a driving game like MCLA.

Having done some research I've found that despite what it says on the 360 dashboard, older non-HDMI models like mine only support up to 1080I (which is actually 720P) so I personally cannot test this out on the 360. I can purchase component cables for my new slim PS3, but by then I'll have returned my Gamefly copy of MCLA and have to wait to buy the complete edition - so it may be a while before I figure this out.

Here's some more shots I took in case the problem was the nighttime setting - nope.

Zslide02.jpg

This has a warm tone to it because of some lighting issue: when I pulled the camera back it went away.

Zslide01.jpg

Winning the Camaro - remember that?

ZvGM01.jpg

ZvGM02.jpg

ZvGM03.jpg

I don't understand why these look so badly compressed and lossy...:ill:

Last edited:
I made some adjustments to my display output settings, but it doesn't seem to have had any effect. I'm wondering if this is a result of upscaling from 720P plus some sort of anti-alias thing the PS3 doesn't do as well. Maybe.

I'm not trashing the PS3 by any means, but I want my photos to look as best as I can:

newtest04.jpg

newtest03.jpg

newtest02.jpg

newtest01.jpg

Compared to a 360 shot:

P-5127.jpg

Could anyone with a PS3 outputting through component cables post a full size photomode picture? I may have to switch my PS3 over to component if it's the same quality as the 360.

Last edited:
Anyone notice this hotel name joke?

bricknmorter.jpg

sonicFocus2.jpg

bigfocus.jpg

sonicFocus4.jpg

I think when the PS3's set to 1080P it's actually outputting 720P and upscaling to 1080I gives it a subpar look - so I changed my PS3 display settings to 720P -

Buzzbomb01.jpg

Buzzbomb02.jpg

Buzzbomb03.jpg

Buzzbomb04.jpg

Color's still desaturated, but a lot less in the way of jaggies.
Now I gotta work on my next stitches...:mischievous:

Last edited:
How do I find my pictures on the social club site? Do I have to make an account there or can I use my PSN?

You need to link or register your PS info with social club - I think it asks for your e-mail, PS ID (is that your PSN? I'm new to this), and password. I was already setup for my 360 and allows you to have accounts for 2 systems simultaneously on any of their games. This also sets you up for the driver's test to get the R8.

I got it, but the album's not the one I expected. Until I get my friend to let me borrow the game again, have a picture of cops wiping out traffic, and a Camaro in the rain:
getsakeimage.ashx

getsakeimage.ashx

I still do single photos, but usually as a template for my panorama stitches:

focusstitchsetup.jpg

:scared:

Last edited:
Some boring photos that are more about showing vinyl designs than actually showing interesting compositions, I'm afraid :guilty:

KD-02.jpg

KD-03.jpg

KD-04.jpg

KD-05.jpg

Big-rat-hot.jpg

Well my 360 RRODed so I decided to invest in a new 360 slim, which is (among many other things) HDMI compatable! So now I can compare MCLA on PS3/HDMI, 360/component & 360/HDMI and find out if the aliasing on the PS3 is a result of digital output or not.

360 S HDMI:

HDMItest01.jpg

HDMItest02.jpg

HDMItest03.jpg

360 component:

warhawk02-1.jpg

warhawk03-1.jpg

warhawk04-1.jpg

PS3 HDMI (@ 720P which gives best results):

KD02.jpg

KD04.jpg

KD01.jpg

It's unlikely that I'll shell out the bucks to get PS3 component wires just to satisfy my curiousity, so I guess this is the final result...it seems that the aliasing has less to do with the output type and more to do with each console's rendering hardware. Before seeing GT5 I would have hedged and said that Rockstar had coded the game and graphics engine for the 360 and 'ported' it to the PS3 (having worked in the industry I am aware that this is generally done outside of Japan as the X-box is easier to code for, being largely PC based) leading to the PS3 version not looking as polished.
BUT, having seen and extensively played GT5 over the months and updates, I can state with fair certainty, that it's the console. If a first-party publisher like PD can have such aliasing problems on the only product their studio produces - on a system that, if PD wasn't consulted on its design (or even actively participated in said design) I would consider eating my hat - really says it all. I'm probably the only one who cares about this stuff anyways, so - not a big deal.

I had fun with MC:LA, too bad Rockstar stopped supporting it. I lost interest after getting the R8 and having to put up with the freeze issue

I know what you're saying, but luckily they are still supporting it in that you can still go to Rockstar Social Club and download your photos and Rate My Ride stuff - unlike EA's sorry support for each of their NFS games which ends after a year at most. I am disappointed that there will be no more DLC or any more MC games, ever.
Since Gran Turismo and Forza will never likely use cars from this era in their upcoming games - in GT's case, will not include any of the cool cars from this era in their premium class so photo travel will work with them - going to go off subject a bit here to wonder if there's some sort of bias against midcentury American cars in that when they are in these top tier games it seems designers go out of their way to choose unappealing examples (1962 Buick Special, GT4? The Mach 1 Mustang, GT5? The least appealing Barracuda and vinyl tops on all the cool Camaros, Forza? Really?) - but MC:LA got it mostly right (as did MC3 Remix, except no Fords) and so I guess I'll be playing MC:LA until I'm old(er) and grey(er). Still making photos:

newcg01.jpg

pano-01.jpg

MCLA-Environment-001.jpg

Kinda makes MC:LA like the SR-71 or Saturn 5 rocket of the sandbox racing genre; the pinnacle that nobody tries to better, until the cost to do better becomes prohibitive, and it ends up never being surpassed...

Last edited:
During gameplay (outside the garage) press start to pause and move the R thumbstick to activate photomode. In photomode, button prompts are displayed for 'take picture', 'go to gallery' etc. - push whichever button lets you 'go to gallery'. Once in your gallery there's a button prompt to 'publish gallery' and the address of Rockstar Social Club where you can D/L the pics. Get to 'my gallery' part of MCLA section of Social Club; D/L the pics by clicking them one at a time, then click 'view HD', R-click, 'save picture as'. Repeat 15 times to D/L your whole gallery.
Only other place that has pics is 'Rate My Ride' where you can D/L the 2 pics you can take when putting your car on RMR. This is all from memory as I haven't played in a few months...

CWR
During gameplay (outside the garage) press start to pause and move the R thumbstick to activate photomode. In photomode, button prompts are displayed for 'take picture', 'go to gallery' etc. - push whichever button lets you 'go to gallery'. Once in your gallery there's a button prompt to 'publish gallery' and the address of Rockstar Social Club where you can D/L the pics. Get to 'my gallery' part of MCLA section of Social Club; D/L the pics by clicking them one at a time, then click 'view HD', R-click, 'save picture as'. Repeat 15 times to D/L your whole gallery.
Only other place that has pics is 'Rate My Ride' where you can D/L the 2 pics you can take when putting your car on RMR. This is all from memory as I haven't played in a few months...

That I know , but there is a prob , I forgot my MC social club password and then they said they sent the mail to my e-mail soo I could change pass word but I didn't received nothing :(

Outside of making sure they have a current e-mail for you, I'm not sure what to do next. Are all 5 of your PSN accounts to different e-mail addresses? I'd try password recovery once more and contact support directly if that did nothing. That's not a very exceptional piece of advice, I know, but it's all I can think of.

I don't have much but i'll dump what I got.
getsakeimage5_zpse8068d38.jpg

Sorta took inspiration from the blue D1 Re Amemiya FD with the whole GREDDY logo position. Other than that I think this FD cleaned up alright. 👍

getsakeimage4_zps46cbaa52.jpg

I don't know if you guys are familiar too well with Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero but I felt like I should dump a few of the cars I tried to make while i'm at it. Man it's a blast doing freeway races with the songs from that series, gets me hyped.

tumblr_mf7npaiELu1rgzg9ho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mf7npaiELu1rgzg9ho2_1280.jpg

Speed King

tumblr_mf7npaiELu1rgzg9ho3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mf7npaiELu1rgzg9ho4_1280.jpg

Red Devil

tumblr_mf7npaiELu1rgzg9ho5_1280.jpg

tumblr_mf7npaiELu1rgzg9ho6_1280.jpg

??? (it could pass for the Devil Z too haha)

Not TXR but I tried remaking Dai Yoshihara's S13 to the best of my ability.
getsakeimage_zpsb973090c.jpg

Back