Mclaren F1's speed per gear are wrong since GT5. How can we get PD to fix this?

• Thread starter psavi
  • 3 comments
plinsavi or GTP_plinsavi
McLaren F1 is hands down my all time favorite car. That is why since GT5 that I'm disappointed at PD for not getting the specs for the car right. Every iteration of the game I hope that they fix this, but they don't. This completely unacceptable considering how much time they spend to model a car and how much attention to details they say to give at each car, especially considering that Need for Speed 2, a game from 1997, got it right. Below is the specification sheet from the Autocar Road Test December 1994 and the detail of the Gearbox.

McLaren F1 test.png

McLaren F1 test (2).png

If you compare the ratios to that showed in the game, you will notice that they are actually right. And if you make the calculation using the wheel and tire measures, you will see that they kind of match the game. But then, why don't they match the mph per 1000rpm in Autocar's table? They drove the car, they measured that stuff. And then you have the information that for McLaren F1 to achieve its top speed run, the rev limiter had to be raised to 8300 rpm. If the speed per gear on Gran Turismo was right, the rev limiter wouldn't have to be raised...

Well, according to Wikipedia:
"Both the standard edition and the 'McLaren F1 LM' have the following gear ratios: 3.23:1, 2.19:1, 1.71:1, 1.39:1, 1.16:1, 0.93:1, with a final drive of 2.37:1, although the final gear is offset from the side of the clutch."

This probably means that the final gear has some slippage that does not compromise much efficiency or this offset creates a different effective final gear. Nonetheless, the specs from Autocar produce the speeds at redline presented in the table below.

GearRatiomph / 1000 rpmkph / 1000 rpmSpeed at redline (7500 rpm)
1st3.238.714.0065.25 / 105.01
2nd2.1912.720.4495.25 / 153.29
3rd1.7116.726.88125.25 / 201.56
4th1.392032.19150 / 241.4
5th1.162438.62180 / 289.67
6th0.933048.28225 / 362.09

For comparison of the current state in Gran Turismo, you can watch the below video:

You can see that the change from 2nd to 3rd is made at 179 kph, 3rd to 4th at 237 kph (in other words, the speed it should be going from 4th to 5th actually) and so on... All above the speed they should be.

Gran Turismo have been my favorite racing series for decades, and it disappoints me greatly that it does not portrays my favorite car correctly.

If you also think is outrageous that GT does not make justice to such a legendary car, please help raise awareness about this mistake so we can make Polyphony Digital notice it.

Thank you very much!

By your own admission, that article lists the maximum speed as 225mph, when it has been long established that the actual maximum speed is 231mph. Is it not possible that the article is wrong?

By your own admission, that article lists the maximum speed as 225mph, when it has been long established that the actual maximum speed is 231mph. Is it not possible that the article is wrong?
Apparently the example that reached 231 was the XP3 prototype running at the Nardo ring. The example that reached the legendary 240 mark was the XP5 prototype, with the rev limiter raised. Incidentally, 225 mph (though limited by aero) is also the top speed I've heard quoted for the LM. Car and Driver in a 1994 article claimed 221 mph, but said this number was limited by gearing. I'm not sure if any of the actual production examples have ever been taken up to top speed at all.

I don't know in what conditions the car that reached 231 mph was, but that difference could be explained by the little growth that tires suffer in very high speeds because of centrifugal forces.

But what is certain is that the rev limiter had to be increased for the 240mph run and that alone proves that PD modeled it wrongly.

Back