Mechanical damage and AI

  • Thread starter Thread starter tecknical
  • 15 comments
  • 1,240 views
Messages
451
Messages
tecknical
Messages
goodspellar69
I haven't seen anyone talk about this so I'm going to. How do you think mechanical damage is going to be with this stupid AI?

I predict that we're going to see 100 threads about people being forced to retire from a race because they were rammed or spun out by the mindless zombie AI drivers.
 
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Having mechanical damage is good, but it will also be bad because of AI. So I'd rather not have it with this level of AI then have it.
 
Shouldn't it be "Mechanical damage and online idiots"?
 
Shouldn't it be "Mechanical damage and online idiots"?

Well I'm hoping there will be an option to turn that off for online races.
 
Shouldn't it be "Mechanical damage and online idiots"?

1+ despite most of them getting damage themselves. But the aggressive A.I. will be a problem, maybe.
 
1+ despite most of them getting damage themselves. But the aggressive A.I. will be a problem, maybe.
it will be imho, for me it's already a problem now :D.....
 
The mechanical damage sould be switchable, On - OFF...
 
What's the point in having damage if you won't use it because of the AI?

Between AI and damage, it's obvious that the first should have been given preference during development in GT5. But, as Kaz already stated, they listened to the fans. And all one has to do to understand where we are now, is search the amount of threads asking for damage versus the ones asking for better AI.

So I guess in a certain way, it's our fault, as GT gamers, that damage was given priority over AI.

I think it's very interesting for developers to listen to fans, after all, we are the ones who buy their products, but such thing has to be done with caution. People ask for a lot of things that can be labeled as "very bad ideas". For instance: a lot of people thought that the free roam with speed limits that Kaz suggested some days ago is a good idea.

Not judging the ideas per se, but there has to be some focus in development. I mean, what's the point in having +1000 cars, rain, damage, this, that, etc, if something as important as the AI is missing?
 
If PD simply provided a patch that restored the AI setting to those from prologue then it would be fine. I still don't understand how it's worse now than before.

The only conclusion I can come too is that they tried to make the opponents more "competitive", but in doing so went too far and ruined the whole experience
 
After finishing one rally stage I noticed that when the AI takes over at the finish line it steers away from the halted cars but ends up "colliding" with them just slightly. I think the AI has an incorrect view on the dimensions of their vehicles.
 
What's the point in having damage if you won't use it because of the AI?

Between AI and damage, it's obvious that the first should have been given preference during development in GT5. But, as Kaz already stated, they listened to the fans. And all one has to do to understand where we are now, is search the amount of threads asking for damage versus the ones asking for better AI.

So I guess in a certain way, it's our fault, as GT gamers, that damage was given priority over AI.

I think it's very interesting for developers to listen to fans, after all, we are the ones who buy their products, but such thing has to be done with caution. People ask for a lot of things that can be labeled as "very bad ideas". For instance: a lot of people thought that the free roam with speed limits that Kaz suggested some days ago is a good idea.

Not judging the ideas per se, but there has to be some focus in development. I mean, what's the point in having +1000 cars, rain, damage, this, that, etc, if something as important as the AI is missing?

Good explaination so far. Also the statement with the poll about free roaming is defenitely right....not a bad idea, but defenitley a bad idea for Gran Tursimos.

One think, I would add is the point about fans screaming for a damage system. I think, the fact of a bad AI comes with the time of development for the damage model. BUT...for me the damage model has more priority, because first time ever we are able to run a GT-title (fullretail) online with friends.
And so far, this makes less sense or less fun, when you try to have hard fights and racing at the limit, but the damage system (and also collision-physics) does not work as it should in a simulation and is too forgiving.

So I was never interested in AI so far because they were always horrible and not competetive and the race event system in GT is not what I would call "curious".

Just an unwinding of events to buy better car to have more fun while hunting lap records (and now hunting friends online)
 
Good explaination so far. Also the statement with the poll about free roaming is defenitely right....not a bad idea, but defenitley a bad idea for Gran Tursimos.

One think, I would add is the point about fans screaming for a damage system. I think, the fact of a bad AI comes with the time of development for the damage model. BUT...for me the damage model has more priority, because first time ever we are able to run a GT-title (fullretail) online with friends.
And so far, this makes less sense or less fun, when you try to have hard fights and racing at the limit, but the damage system (and also collision-physics) does not work as it should in a simulation and is too forgiving.

So I was never interested in AI so far because they were always horrible and not competetive and the race event system in GT is not what I would call "curious".

Just an unwinding of events to buy better car to have more fun while hunting lap records (and now hunting friends online)

Indeed. If online racing is the focus, AI loses it's importance. However, AI is at the core of the single player experience. Challenges, race series, etc. So, bad AI + damage leads to frustration in the hunt for better cars.

I guess both damage and AI have to be developed together, after all. But in any case, the driving in GT should have more consequences. Like punctures for riding off track, or flags for players and AI forcing drive-through penalties, something…

Talking about that, wasn't there a flag system announced at TGS? I remember reading something about that…
 
Back