Mechanical Damages in online races and encouraging no disconnects

BreakerOhio
I think the damage should progressively heal the car throughout the race so those racers that stay commited to completing can stay competitive in the race as they fight their way back.

Imagine you enter a long race, and the very first corner you are hit badly into a pile up. Rather than quitting you want ti race on to finish the race. BUT now your car mechanical damage and thee steering is off center. I think for a few laps, as this is just a game and we want the pile consequences enforced through mechanical damage, it is no fun to race the rest of the race with a crooked steering wheel. You want to punish the pile up, and that is felt with the mechanical damage, but give incentive for racers to not rage quit and finish the races but finishing the race with the damaged steering is no fun. When the pile up was the act of some dive bomber and they quit, but you want to finish.

I think the damage should progressively heal the car throughout the race so those racers that stay commited to completing can stay competitive in the race as they fight their way back. When a severe mechanical damage happens in the very first lap when all the cars are jostling for that first corner, its a shame that the mechanicl damage effects last the whole race.

I think the damage should progressively heal the car throughout the race so those racers that stay commited to completing can stay competitive in the race as they fight their way back.

Imagine you enter a long race, and the very first corner you are hit badly into a pile up. Rather than quitting you want ti race on to finish the race. BUT now your car mechanical damage and thee steering is off center. I think for a few laps, as this is just a game and we want the pile consequences enforced through mechanical damage, it is no fun to race the rest of the race with a crooked steering wheel. You want to punish the pile up, and that is felt with the mechanical damage, but give incentive for racers to not rage quit and finish the races but finishing the race with the damaged steering is no fun. When the pile up was the act of some dive bomber and they quit, but you want to finish.

I think the damage should progressively heal the car throughout the race so those racers that stay commited to completing can stay competitive in the race as they fight their way back. When a severe mechanical damage happens in the very first lap when all the cars are jostling for that first corner, its a shame that the mechanicl damage effects last the whole race.

If full damage is not your thing try racing with visual damage only or no damage.

Thanks for your responses.

If full damage is not your thing try racing with visual damage only or no damage.

Im ok with damage, just thinking if a better damage option would be a progresssive damage that repairs itself if you continue driving clean. The damage helps to serve the punishments for reckless driving, but one reason for bringing this up is how to improve disconnects and clean races. Penalties like damage help to discourage risky and reckless driving, but unlike other time penalties, a mechanical damage is permentant for the rest of the race. Just an idea for a new damage mode.

Im ok with damage, just thinking if a better damage option would be a progresssive damage that repairs itself if you continue driving clean. The damage helps to serve the punishments for reckless driving, but one reason for bringing this up is how to improve disconnects and clean races. Penalties like damage help to discourage risky and reckless driving, but unlike other time penalties, a mechanical damage is permentant for the rest of the race. Just an idea for a new damage mode.
I don't think a self repairing car will discourage people from quitting races when they know they have little chance of winning.

I don't think a self repairing car will discourage people from quitting races when they know they have little chance of winning.

Thats your condition, "if they know they have little chance of winning" of course. That's not everyones situation when a track incident happens.

How about if you are a driver near the top qualifiers or even pole setter, but you get taken out in the first corner? You know its a 10+ lap race, there's no doubt you can get back in. The severe damage mode does not encourage continuing because for the rest of the race your car will drive with mechanical damage. The mode suggested here might have to employ some kind clean lap analysis or something to reward the clean racer and not just allow the culprit a repaired car out of time duration. Clean laps or consistency can be the factors for repairs

It's a reasonable suggestion. Definitely outside the spectrum of realism, but could be a good option for public lobbies.

Glad someone else can understand
Definately not realistic lol
Realistic is entering the pitts and getting repaired, however in that scenario the realism would likely have many more laps and a realistic pitt strategy in play for a real race duration, we don't all have time for real life race distances in this game. This is an idea for those 10 lap kind of races. Its long enough that you can continue after a lap one incident. You spent all that time qualifying and want to race, but a dumb track incident that you had no intentions of being part of happened, the culprit quits and you want to keep going.

So let me understand this. Everyone has been asking for a SIM experience. You got it. Cars don't magically drive around and repair them self. Or as others have said. Turn it off.

Thats your condition, "if they know they have little chance of winning" of course. That's not everyones situation when a track incident happens.

How about if you are a driver near the top qualifiers or even pole setter, but you get taken out in the first corner? You know its a 10+ lap race, there's no doubt you can get back in. The severe damage mode does not encourage continuing because for the rest of the race your car will drive with mechanical damage. The mode suggested here might have to employ some kind clean lap analysis or something to reward the clean racer and not just allow the culprit a repaired car out of time duration. Clean laps or consistency can be the factors for repairs
I guess I misunderstood a little. Still not a fan of the idea though, maybe for other style driving games, but not for a simulator.

Great idea as option, goes on par with "no damge" realism.
Full damage annoys always if there's incapable drivers on field, but that's the point of it.

Glad someone else can understand
Definately not realistic lol
Realistic is entering the pitts and getting repaired, however in that scenario the realism would likely have many more laps and a realistic pitt strategy in play for a real race duration, we don't all have time for real life race distances in this game.
No, no, no. If you don't care realistic racing turn off damgage (or set only visual) and have fun :D

Last edited:
I care about realism and opt to race without damage; it's never very realistic anyway (except for the likes of BeamNG, which isn't perfect either), and bodywork damage ruins screenshots or replays of epic moments. I do have mechanical faults turned on, which is a sort of damage I can appreciate in a videogame.

I don't understand the attitude that a simulator can't be allowed to have one more fanciful feature among its numerous other fanciful features (restarts, globetrotting in the time it takes to load the next track, an infinite budget, etc.). If you don't like the idea, you can say you just don't like the idea. The game being a simulator is more or less irrelevant.

No damage or self-healing damage is simply not for me. I am not against implementing this in the game. There are many settings that I use and there are ones that I will never turn on. It is only my opinion that is not the final truth. I'm just wondering about setting the damage in the race on ON and expecting that they will repair themselves while driving ... Why...?

Last edited:
For me this is bad idea.

If damage will heal overtime... You will still have a lot of seconds/minutes loss for race leaders... You won't be able to gain this loss because with every lap your time gap is getting bigger. I think pit-stop would be faster.

Crashing with mechanical damage is always a game breaking experience like in real world. I think this is good like it is.

I think better option for making "damage" more casual as an option would be making Pit-Stop repairs much faster... Like an instant. So you are losing only some seconds.

They had this in Gran Turismo. You would have damage for about 20 seconds and then it went away. This isn't a bad idea. It slows down some of the idiots for a moment, and allows the unfortunate lads a chance to get back into a race after random shenanigans.
If the damage was fixed faster in the pits it would be a bit better, but unless you're doing a really long race, you're still not going to catch back up.

No damage or self-healing damage is simply not for me. I am not against implementing this in the game. There are many settings that I use and there are ones that I will never turn on. It is only my opinion that is not the final truth. I'm just wondering about setting the damage in the race on ON and expecting that they will repair themselves while driving ... Why...?

Another damage mode, in addition to the current mode, not replacing the current one

Its about being in the race. You are not so far back, now your steering is crooked and the car alignment is off. To drive this way for the rest if the race is no fun. Pitting in a 10lap race is pointless, you might as well quit and play time trial. The fun in racing online is being in contention and fighting for positiion with othet racers. The attitude that if you arent going to win is what the problem is in racing online for quitters, there is no need to quit, there is still fun racing neck and neck in the middle of the pack with another racer. The problem is once a mechancial damage occurs, you have a 10 lap race and right now you are battling fir maybe 5th or 8th, podium is out of the picture as those cars escaped the chaos. The situation here is for the remainer 9laps left, you are still in a close race fighting for position with the middle of the pack, but now with sever alignment and crooked steering for the rest of the lap. In a 10 lap race it doesnt make sense to pitt and then go out driving solo for the rest of the race, mighy as well quit then. This would help discourage quitting if you knew there was a anothwr damage mode that prpgressively healed you if you commited to driving consistently clean for a certain duration of time.

Its about being in the race. You are not so far back, now your steering is crooked and the car alignment is off. To drive this way for the rest if the race is no fun. Pitting in a 10lap race is pointless, you might as well quit and play time trial. The fun in racing online is being in contention and fighting for positiion with othet racers. The attitude that if you arent going to win is what the problem is in racing online for quitters, there is no need to quit, there is still fun racing neck and neck in the middle of the pack with another racer. The problem is once a mechancial damage occurs, you have a 10 lap race and right now you are battling fir maybe 5th or 8th, podium is out of the picture as those cars escaped the chaos. The situation here is for the remainer 9laps left, you are still in a close race fighting for position with the middle of the pack, but now with sever alignment and crooked steering for the rest of the lap. In a 10 lap race it doesnt make sense to pitt and then go out driving solo for the rest of the race, mighy as well quit then. This would help discourage quitting if you knew there was a anothwr damage mode that prpgressively healed you if you commited to driving consistently clean for a certain duration of time.
IMO, you know you’re in a full damage lobby you have to adjust your strategy accordingly to keep your car intact.
The crashers will crash in the first two turns. Instead of racing the first two turns, avoid contact, after that you will be able to race with who’s left.

The motive is a nice thought, but no, the answer is to race without damage or race with it and stop getting into accidents.

So, last night I have this very thing happen to me. 1st turn wreckfest, and I get damage. It's manageable, but my wheel is crooked. I fight on, get to second place, see the first place guy gets a drive through penalty and think to myself, "Way to stick it out, you're going to win this one." First place guy was the host - he kicked me when he pulled in for his drive through. What a D.B.!

Back