Mechanical Failures? How Complex is the system?

• Thread starter GT david
  • 21 comments
flyboy116
Right just a quick question Peeps haha

How complex is the mechanical damage system (rolls right of the tongue) in project cars?
am aware of blowing the engine but thats all I've encountered so far ? is it possible to get a puncture, suspension failure? damage to the gear box? if so... damn its rare XD

You can lose a wheel if you have an impact thats hard enough. Also in the Nürburgring endurance race, I had a gearbox problem with the P30, not sure why though. Cant recall abusing it that much.

Yeah would be handy to know how complex it is ? a page on the website would be cool.... but I've never got a puncture :(

I've had bent steering, broken suspension (from an AI car divebomb attempt in open wheelers grrr), broken radiator leading to engine overheating and failing, lost wheel, severe brake fade from overheated brakes, and I've blown a motor from trying to too many laps in a Lotus 98T on full boost.

I haven't encountered gearbox problems, punctures, or electrical problems yet.

Not sure. I've been trying to figure it out.

I know there are random pit-stop "cock ups". You'll hear the engineer say "we lost a lug nut, give us a minute..." and it just extends the pit stop you've scheduled.

Other than that you can blow the motor easy by shifting down too harshly. I'd really like a page showing us what is possible.

I've had my windshield wipers stop working while it was raining.
Still not sure if it was a glitch or a mechanical failure, as it only ever happened once.

I'd really like a page showing us what is possible.

That would be great, & a very interesting read. I'd also like one from SMS detailing the AI behaviour, I know there's a "Red Mist" component to them (which might explain the aggressive behaviour somewhat).

From what I've seen...and I haven't been able to test it, the AI's skill doesn't improve too much from 75-100...they just become more aggressive. Even going from 75 to 80 seems to result in me being hit/run off a lot more than usual.

From what I've seen...and I haven't been able to test it, the AI's skill doesn't improve too much from 75-100...they just become more aggressive. Even going from 75 to 80 seems to result in me being hit/run off a lot more than usual.

I wish they would've worked on making the AI hard, fast, & clean, instead of Red misted & rammy!

:ouch:

Back on topic; here's an old Project CARS puncture video (watch the rear tyre).

👍

The AI skill improves significantly from 75 - 100. Best place to check is quali. I've even observed a difference in quali going from 80 to 85. I do agree that their aggression seems to go up with the difficulty though. The idea of the "red mist" mentality coming on for a few seconds when they're overtaken sounds nice in theory, but in reality I think that's what leads to a lot of the stupid moves. If I pass an AI heading down a straight, they always try a move in the braking zone that follows, whether they dive up the inside, or go around the outside and turn right into me at apex. Very annoying. A trick I found is to keep a tiny narrow line open on the inside, and brake very deep. The AI will still try and outbrake you, and if you hold off on turning in for a split second, they'll overshoot the corner and you can switch back and take it from them lol.

I believe it's this "red mist" that's making the AI do these stupid moves, as they seem to behave themselves most of the time under blue flags. They don't pay attention to the flags in the sense that they don't slow or move out of the way, but if you go for an overtake, they tend to yield instead of turning in on you, and they don't tend to try come right back at you with a divebomb either. My theory is the red mist doesn't apply to them when they're lapped, only when they're passed for position.

Back