Memories of Yore: The Day Our Hobby Died (12/09/14)

• Thread starter Lucas
  • 13 comments
Argentina
Buenos Aires
The following story is based on my first race report, a GT4 story by the name of Panorama 1992 as its latest update. The last chapter posted is the only one to be actual considered canon, but it's not necessary to read it. Of the rest of the story, some things may have remained the same, others changed, and it is recommended not to read the original story.

Memories of Yore

"End of the Road"

It was 1994 when we decided we wanted to take our lives in different directions. Long gone were the days of striving for professional racing. Upcoming children and growing families proved to be crucial in determining some of the boys' stance on the subject, when going fast was proving to be too dangerous for some and not enough fun for others. The votes were cast, and seven to three, that night we bid farewell to each other. Though I voted to continue, I only did it because we were going to lose anyway.

The intense rain caused our flight to be delayed, keeping us at the hotel. Because we wanted to spend as little as possible during our stay, even though we had said our final good-byes, we still had to share a room with another person. I will never forget that night. Not because of what happened later. Rather, because my roommate was Leonard Chase. And he was an interesting fellow indeed. With a no less important story to share. Which I didn't care to listen...

Me and the group had met Leo one week after we arrived in Japan. After visiting Suzuka, we traveled to Shimotsuma, Ibaraki, where we tried our hand at Tsukuba Circuit. Not long before we left to a nearby restaurant for lunch, Leo came to us asking for a wrench. Everyone and their mother made fun of him. Even myself. It turns out, though...

...the guy wasn't inexperienced at all. In fact, he made for a fine driver, and an excellent mechanic as well. We did gift him a spare wrench, after he made a bid for it. I suppose it wasn't fair for a group of 40 and 30 years old to laugh at a boy. An hour later, just as we were leaving the track, he walked up to me and said:

"You brake too early for the sweeper. If you waited a little bit and didn't lock up the brakes, you could shave some time there. I know because I was ,alomg the same mistake during my first laps." With the kind of expression that translates as "just who you are talking to?", everyone stared at him. This time there were no laughs. Only silence.

I was no idiot. I'd been driving, but most importantly, racing, for the past twenty years of my life. And I knew damn well the limits of my car and the limits of what I could do with it. Yet for some reason I thanked him for the tip, turned around, and left the track with my friends. The next day I woke up early and went to Tsukuba on my own, and against my common sense, I did as he said. Sure enough, I ended up in the sand trap outside of the sweeper. Twenty years later and I still can't explain why I didn't follow my intuition. Shortly afterwards I learnt betraying your intuition may be the best thing to do.

Leo was there at Tsukuba that evening. Because of his "help" the day before, and since everyone agreed with me, I asked him if he wanted to join us in our trip around Japan. Since we all spoke English, I assumed he would enjoy being in company with us. "Wrench", as some of the guys started calling him, told us he was from Australia, and that he had left his home two years ago. His car, the only thing that he kept with him during those two years, was something truly to behold.

A color that could only be described as taking out a portion of the night sky and slapping it into a, wouldn't you call it poetic: Skyline. Apparently, his neighbour had killed himself over some sort of tumor. The Skyline he was driving was an inheritance from that man. Or so he said: Leo was the last person given the permission to drive it. This isn't the story I talked about before.

On April 21st, Leo woke me up in the middle of the night. Sweating. He said he had heard a rumble coming from below the building. Specifically, and I remember it well: "The Ferrari is gone." I told him to go to sleep. And I've been kicking myself since then.

Because the F40 he made reference to wasn't ours. It wasn't anyone's actually. The car was Mr. Matsumoto, owner of the hotel we were staying on. We had seen him drive it around the building before. And I remember, of course, hearing one of my crew members talk about it:

"I will get on that car even if that's the last thing I do in Japan."

Forrest Abagnale wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box. And I wasn't any sharper when I answered "the only way you'll get on it is if you steal it."

I remember telling Leo, when he told us how he got his car: "You are driving a dead man's ride."

Well...

Now I'm carrying the burden of a dead man in my back, too.

End

Reminded me of Akuma no Zetto that crash. :lol:
But great story man!

Thank you KazaMR2. :)

Aaron & Co.'s Day at the Goodwood Festival of Speed: Part One​

Just because I feel guilty about what happened, it doesn't mean the fault is mine and mine alone. It wouldn't be right. And it wouldn't be true. Guilt, as I see it, is nothing more than a feeling that's hard to get rid of, and more often than not eats through a person's soul. That ain't going to be my case.

Today we are here for the Goodwood Festival of Speed. It's not my first time, neither Ethan's or Gale's. However, it is the first time we will be doing the hillclimb ourselves. We brought Casper and Colin along, as they didn't felt like returning to the States just yet, and managed to get them into the event as well. After having witnessed the event as spectators for so many years, finally it is our time to show what are we made of, even if it's just an exhibition. I hope this will turn out to be a good experience for Colin, as there is a lot left for him to learn, if he is serious about becoming a professional race driver.

I don't know how much has Casper influenced Colin to think that way, but if the kid is devoted to his dream, then the only thing we can do is help him. After all, we believe he is one of us, and as one of us we would like to see him do well in his career. As always. And here he goes, sliding like I told him he shouldn't.

Behind the hay piles, Ethan and Gale observe the Elise drift through the corner.

Ethan: I see him, alright!
Gale: Show them, boy!

Colin straightens the car and steps on the gas, heading for the chicane.

With delicate braking, the Elise gracefully dances through the tight corners.

Colin: Good thing that's over...

The Lotus continues to speed up, preparing for the final left-handed corner.

Aaron: (Through a walkie-talkie) Still on the track, Casper?

Casper: (Picking up the walkie-talkie) He just flew past me. Can't why to try this myself.

With no issues, Colin gently takes the Elise through the last corner, and the finish line.

Colin: What did i tell ya? Yeah, what did I tell ya?

The young driver lets out a big shout of relief for everyone in the vicinity to hear, as he drives the Elise back to the pits.

When we came here we made a bet. Whoever recorded the slowest time would have to buy a beer for each one of us. The fastest driver could also choose between a free pizza or driving one of the other participants' cars, but only once, if he so desired. The last rule was introduced by Gale. He doesn't like pizzas. My turn comes next. With a bit of luck, I'm driving Ethan's GT500 next week.

Last edited:
The only trouble I'm having here is setting the foundation. So far, I'm only getting this face :confused: when i try to figure out the flow of.. just about everything.

Maybe I'm being too cruel. It's just the beginning, after all! It'll develop soon enough.

The only trouble I'm having here is setting the foundation. So far, I'm only getting this face :confused: when i try to figure out the flow of.. just about everything.

Maybe I'm being too cruel. It's just the beginning, after all! It'll develop soon enough.

I agree. I don't like things being extremely linear, so there's that. Plus I don't know about you, but I did find the ending paragraph (coupled with the picture) to be confusing if you don't know who is talking (and the idea is that you should).

Glad you could tell me, though. :)

Aaron & Co.'s Day at the Goodwood Festival of Speed: Part Two

Aaron (narrating)

It was a bit weird seeing some faces of surprise when the Superbird pulled up to the start line. Considering it's just an exhibition, I didn't expect anyone to doubt my car. Perhaps they were counting the seconds for the first crash of the day. I am no rally driver, but living and racing in the Amalfi Coast got rid of any fear I could have towards narrow roads. Same case with Ethan and Gale, and to a lesser extent, Colin. My father taught me not to be afraid of challenges. He would say they were the best way to have one's metal tested. And so, in my first race in Amalfi, I took on a Subaru Impreza and lost like a man. I finished the race in one piece, five seconds behind it. Some made fun of me. Others clapped at the Superbird as I crossed the finish line. A few actually took pictures alongside me. I feel something similar will happen once I'm done at Goodwood.​

image.jpg

(One of the marshals puts his hand up for Aaron to see.)

Marshal: "Are you ready, sir?"
Aaron: (After a couple of seconds) "You tell me."

Aaron (narrating)

I grab the wheel firmly but gently, another thing my father taught me, and when the marshal finally gives the signal I've been waiting for, the winged warrior leaves behind a pile of smoke before the crowd can cover their eyes.​

image.jpg

Aaron (narrating)

56.990 seconds is the time to beat. Five years ago, Colin couldn't have completed the hillclimb in less than one minute. As for myself... I don't think I'm winning this bet. Because pure power isn't enough in a track like this. There are two particularly difficult corners to get right, and they are consecutive. In a span of 10 seconds, your time can go to hell and back to bite your ass by the end.​

image.jpg

Aaron (narrating)

A small and nimble car is the way to go in order to tackle them correctly. Though I have beaten Colin before thanks to the size of the Superbird, over here it's you against the clock with nobody to block... so size is only fighting against you.​

image.jpg

Aaron (narrating)

The first of them is the easiest. But the chicane can hurt you if you go faster than you can react.​

image.jpg

Aaron (narrating)

I struggle with it, as I can feel the back end of the Superbird near the wall. In Amalfi, there's a similar chicane to this, but wider. Of course, you've got the sea on one side of the track, so I'd rather crash here than there.​

image.jpg

Aaron (narrating)

The straights prove to be a fresh breath of air. However, the grass that surrounds the track is dangerous provided one accidentally gets his tires on it.​

image.jpg

image.jpg

Aaron (narrating)

The climb is completed before I even realize. Heading back to the pits, I see someone waiting for me, smiling childishly. Nearby, an electronic screen displays my time: 57.320 seconds. I can't help but think I should have been faster than Colin. That's the least of my concerns now, as the man there comes my way, already in racing gear, and leans into my window.​

Ethan: "Well, it's seems you won't get to drive the Shelby after all."

(Aaron clenches his right fist before loosing it up again.)

Aaron: "Bad things happen to those who boast before they get behind the wheel."

image.jpg

(In the distance, the unmistakable sound of Gale's GT350 can be heard. He's already up and running.)

Ethan: "So, why don't you tell me how it feels losing to Colin?"
Aaron: "Last time I checked it was just me on the track."

image.jpg

Aaron: "And I won the only race that matters."
Ethan: "One race against a 22-year old in a place he didn't know. Quite a victory indeed."
Aaron: "A 22-year old that was undefeated."

image.jpg

Aaron (narrating)

It was my last race at Costa di Amalfi. And it could turn out to be my last win ever. Perhaps that was the reason I held it in such a high regard. But Ethan was right. He was a 22-year old. And an unexperienced one at that, relatively speaking.​

image.jpg

(Instantly after Gale crosses the finish line, the electronic screen in the pits displays his time. Ethan goes running towards his Shelby GT500 as the track marshals frantically call for his name before he can even watch the screen. The time itself: 57.561.)

Aaron (narrating)

I can't shake the feeling I just lost my chance to drive that GT500. But at least I know I'm not paying for the beers. When I was thirty and was in the Navy, I would run anywhere I needed to get to. Now, I slowly make my way back to Colin and Casper.​

(Fifteen minutes later, it's Ethan's turn at the hillclimb.)

image.jpg

(Just like before, the marshal puts his hand up for Ethan to see.)

Marshal: "Are you ready, sir?"
Ethan: (Cheerfully) "Just give me the signal, my friend."

image.jpg

(The earth trembles slightly below the Shelby as Ethan presses the accelerator, ready to begin the ascent. Soon enough, the marshal gives the signal, quickly putting his hand away before the Shelby cuts it off.)

image.jpg

image.jpg

(The GT500 is by all means considerably faster than the rest, completing the first section in the blink of an eye.)

image.jpg

Colin: "Just how did he get that car, exactly?"
Casper: "Oh, I thought you were brighter than that, Colin. There's a reason why he didn't brought the SVT here."

image.jpg

Colin: "You mean he sold it?"
Casper: "A year ago. Hasn't got over the trade, though."

image.jpg

Aaron (narrating)

Casper was right. Once the Mustang was gone, Ethan told me he sometimes felt like he was still driving the SVT. "It's a strange sensation", he said.​

Goodwood_Hillclimb_2014.jpg

Aaron (narrating)

"But it's true." It wasn't the first time I'd heard that. After my brother Joshua got married, my father gave him the perfect wedding gift: his Mercedes-Benz 300SL. The Gullwing. "There is a story behind everything", pa used to say. And the Gullwing was no different. But I will save that for another time. The following months after my father passed away, Joshua would visit me from time to time in the Gullwing. Shortly before he divorced and his wife took his daughter with her, Joshua said: "Sometimes, when I'm sad, I get in the Gullwing. Not because I want to drive to keep the troubles away from my head. But because I feel dad by my side, telling me to be careful with the throttle and that 'it is an expensive vehicle for a schmuck like me'." I hold the chairs I have in Amalfi dearly as they were the same I sit on when we lived together with my parents. Yet I think the bond with a car is that much more special, since you don't only touch it or smell it, but hear it as well. And we would always hear father come from work seconds before he arrived. Just like I can hear Ethan's laugh from amongst the crowd at the moment.​

Ethan: (Mockingly) "53.362. Seems like I win after all. And you buy the beers, Gale."
Casper: "And the pizza as well."
Ethan: "Oh, right!"

(Gale elbows Casper for the unnecessary reminder, who smiles slightly at him.)

Ethan: "Now, what are we doing?"
Colin: "I heard from one of the marshals there's a street circuit at London. Perhaps we could go there?"
Ethan: (Analyzing) "Yeah... maybe. To be honest, there's not enough muscle around here to keep me entertained. Plus it's the last day, you know."

(Ethan turns towards Aaron, who has a serious expression on his face.)

Ethan: "No hard feelings, eh?"

(Aaron quickly grabs a scared Ethan by his shoulders. He then gets his face closer to the petrified driver. Colin, Casper and Gale try their best not to laugh.)

Aaron: (Smiling) "No hard feelings."

(Aaron lets go of Ethan and walks back to the pits, the rest follow him crying from laughter except for Ethan, who is left behind.)

Colin: (In the distance) "Ethan, I think you just **** your pants!"

End of chapter 3.

I am deeply reminded that i finished my introductory chapter (as if a chapter with parts) with Goodwood.

It was a long time ago, but i was happy i could release it.

An Unexpected Issue

image.jpg

Colin (narrating)

When we got to the London circuit, all we saw were hot hatches and red phone booths. Hot hatches here and there. A Mini on the left. A Renault 5 on the right. Then a Clio beside it. Hatchbacks everywhere. That started to trouble my mind, for some reason. I had left the rest behind because they felt they needed a rest after the trip. I guess that's what age does to you. Atop a plataform I could see what I thought was one of the hosts of the event. He was dressed all white, sporting an untucked shirt and nice shoes, long blonde hair, and black sunglasses. I have the ability to tell an asshole when I see one. And my asshole detector was off the charts.​

Colin: "Are you still taking entries?"
Host: (Waving his hair to one side) "Well that depends, darling."

Colin (narrating)

I did mention he was a man, right?​

Host: "We have some spots left for the last race of the day. What kind of car are you driving?"
Colin: "A Lotus Elise."

(The host starts laughing as Colin looks at the surrounding cars.)

Host: "Haven't you realized, darling? Everyone here is driving a hot hatch. It is a hot hatch event after all. I would say your car hardly qualifies for the event. Not to mention it probably is a bit overpowered compared to the rest."

Colin (narrating)

I didn't like his attitude, but he made a good point. It wasn't the Elise from the time I bought it. Even then I believe it would have been overpowered. Since then, it had suffered many modifications, mostly under my time spent at Amalfi, where we upgraded the engine, performed weight reduction by replacing some parts with carbon fiber and lightweight materials, removing others altogether. It wouldn't have been a fair race.​

Colin: "So what can I do?"
Host: "We are hosting an event for mid-engined cars like yours in the future."
Colin: (Excited) "Great, and when's it going to be?"
Host: "Oh, it will happen soon, in December. The perfect way to end the year. The road will make for a very interesting race."

(The host takes a paper from a long table next to him. He gives it to Colin, who proceeds to read it: "MR SHOWDOWN - LONDON STREET CIRCUIT - DECEMBER 26TH".)

Colin (narrating)

This dude had a habit of emphasizing certain words, and that was getting on my nevers. I thought the ad was a creative way of adding insult to injury. When all was said and done, I headed back to the guys, who were eating icecream outside a shop to keep their bodies cool. Aaron in particular can't take the heat very well.​

(Colin comes walking towards Aaron, Casper, Gale and Ethan. The four have their icecreams on top of a glass table. Aaron, reclined, is asleep on his chair. Casper watches Colin arrive using his hand to block the intense sun.)

Casper: "Well, that's one look I've seen before."
Gale: "No entries left, I take it?"

(Colin takes a seat at the table, and drops the ad on it. Casper extends his hand to pick it up but Ethan grabs hold of it faster than him.)

Ethan: "Ah-ah. Let's see... (After a couple of seconds) December 26th, what the ****?"
Aaron: (Awaking from his slumber) "December the what?"
Casper: (To Ethan) "What does it say?"
Colin: "I can't compete with the Elise today. The host gave me that paper. Unless we plan to stay until December, there's nothing we can do here."
Ethan: "Why the **** not?"
Colin: (Ashamed) "Because it's a hot hatch race only..."

image.jpg

(Ethan quickly gets up from his seat and puts his hands on the table, knocking his ice cream over.)

Ethan: "********. What did you hear at Goodwood?"
Casper: "Calm down, Ethan."
Ethan: "Did you know it was a hot hatch-event only?"
Gale: "Ethan, calm down."
Ethan: "Did we came here for nothing?"
Aaron: (Fully awake) "Calm the **** down, Ethan." (Grabbing Ethan by one of his arms) "Take a seat, will you?"

(Ethan complies, and slowly sits back on his chair. Aaron lets him go and picks up his icecream, before he starts to eat it again.)

Aaron: "Now... there must be something we can do about this... particular predicament."
Colin: "It's strictly for hatchbacks. None of your cars fit the description---"
Ethan: (Interrupting him) "Ain't you smart..."
Colin: "---And mine doesn't either. It's over. It was my fault, I'm sorry. I should have asked for more details at Goodwood."

(Casper pats a saddened Colin's shoulder, affectively.)

Colin (narrating)

Since I grew up, Gaspar has been like a father to me. To the point of calling him Caspar, his name in english. My father died in Japan was I was 4 years old. And I barely have any memories of him. Truth is, I don't miss Dad, because I didn't even get to know him. Ever since then, Gaspar got closer and would always visit us after work, before returning to his home. Even if that meant he didn't have any free time for himself. Because of that I love him as if he were my own father. My brother Chester knew Dad far better than me, as he was 8 when Dad passed away in Japan. He would cry at night every day the first month after Dad's accident. I could never forget that. I didn't even understand the meaning of "death" at the time. At school, whenever I was asked who were my parents, I would only say my mother's name. Chester, on the other hand, would always start with her name and end with "Forrest Abagnale". He wouldn't let go.​

Gale: (Thinking) "...Why don't we borrow a car from somebody?"
Aaron: "Borrow?"
Gale: "It's not like we are taking somebody's place. We will just ask someone to lend us his car for a different race. It could work."
Ethan: (Mocking him) "It could work... while we slip some paper under the table for him it could work, yes."
Gale: (To Colin) "I saw a very, very nice Delta out there, Colin. You should try to talk to the owner."
Casper: "Wait wait wait... take it easy there. I understand asking for a Clio or a Peugeot is reasonable, but a Delta? Nobody's going to lend that to Colin. Hell, I wouldn't lend it to Colin myself." (To Colin) "No offense."
Gale: "I say he should give it a try."

(Done with the icecream, Aaron leaves it on the table and relaxes on his chair. He looks straight at Colin.)

Aaron: "I agree. It's your choice, Colin. You have nothing to lose. I say it's worth giving it a shot."
Gale: "Her name is Andrea Pellegrino. It was on the list for the fourth race. You walk up to her, introduce yourself, shake her hand, and say: "Andrea, would you let me drive your car for just one race?". And that's it."

(Colin looks back at Ethan, expecting some sort of sarcastic remark from him.)

Ethan: "Do it, kid."
Colin: "Alright. I'll be back soon."

image.jpg

Colin (narrating)

I get up from my chair. I believe Ethan's honesty boosted my confidence, so I decide to take my chance at the Lancia Delta. I walk away from the group and go in search of this Andrea Pellegrino. But I don't know what she looks like. So I will rely on my knowledge of Italian girls. Cute, black hair, long lengs, slim. And soon enough, I find her rather quicktly. Like many drivers of nice cars I know, including myself and the guys, she is standing next to her blue Delta. A little bit of courage, and here I go.​

Colin: (Stuttering) "H-hi."

(Andrea turns around to face Colin. It turns out Andrea isn't an "Andrea".)

Andrea: (Smiling, with a deep voice) "Hello."
Colin: "Is t-this your car?"
Andrea: (Confused) "Yes. Are you okay, friend? You are sweating."

Colin (narrating)

I try to compose myself but it is rather difficult after you mistake a man for a woman. Seconds later, what seemed like an eternity, I'm ready to start again.​

Colin: "I'm okay. May I ask you a favor?"
Andrea: "Sure. Care to make it fast, please? I want to do some practice on the track in a couple of minutes."
Colin: "Me and my friends came from Goodwood and... and I wanted to race here. But my Elise won't be accepted."
Andrea: "Oh, that's a shame. The blue Elise over there?"

(Andrea looks to his left, where the Elise is parked.)

Colin: "Yes. That one."
Andrea: "It's a very nice car you have there friend. What favor I could possibly do for someone with such a taste?"
Colin: "I wanted to take part in the last race of the event. But I don't have a car, as you can see."
Andrea: "Let me guess. You want to drive my Delta, yes?"
Colin: (Unable to contain himself) "Yes!"

(Andrea looks at the Elise, then at Colin. His eyes are those of pity towards Colin.)

Andrea: "I'm sorry, friend. But I take part in that last race as well. I can't give you my car." (He gently grabs Colin's arm) "But I do wish you the best. I hope you can join me there."

(Andrea turns around and opens the door of the Delta. He gets in, and puts his helmet on. Before closing the door, he gives one last look at a devastated Colin.)

Andrea: "I didn't catch your name."
Colin: "Colin. Colin Abagnale."
Andrea: (Smiling, trying to cheer Colin up) "Andrea Pellegrino is mine. The best of luck to you, Colin."

Colin (narrating)

When I returned to the icecream shop, a group of different people were sitting there. I tried to look around the place, but my friends were nowhere to be seen. For a second there, I thought they left me.​

Casper: (Yelling from the distance) "Colin! Over here!"

(Colin makes his way through the multitude, just to arrive to the sight of an Alfa Romeo parked right next to his group. Another man is standing next to the Alfa, Aaron's arm over his shoulders, as if he was keeping him under his control.)

Aaron: (To Colin) "You didn't get the Delta, did you?"
Colin: (Surprised at the sight) "No, I didn't."
Aaron: "Well, though luck. Ourselves, however, managed to get you a car."
Man: (Nervous, begging) "Please, no sir, I take it back."
Aaron: "Shut up. Everything will go just fine. Colin here is a great driver. You have nothing to worry about, trust me."
Man: (Desperate) "I expected someone older, not a kid! Please, sir!"
Aaron: "Ethan."

(From behind, Ethan knocks the man out with a swift hit to the neck. The 40 something man now rests with his back on the Alfa. Aaron grabs both of the man's arms and starts playing with them.)

Aaron: "Ha ha, just like that movie, Weekend at Bernie's!" (Imitating the man's voice) "Here's your car, Colin! Time to race!"

Colin (narrating)

Ten years ago I would have sworn people like Aaron didn't exist. Like those persons you see in the movies, Aaron was that and much more. One second he could scare you ****less. The next, grab the arms of a passed out man whose car you are about to steal for a race and make you laugh. And while the idea of doing such a thing troubled my mind for a couple of seconds, it wasn't long until I got into the Alfa and drove it to the pits, and prepared to take it for some practice laps. That's how things were. Coming to Europe was the best idea me and my brother ever had. How many years wasted in America.​

image.jpg

End of Chapter 4.

Last edited:
I haven't read a GT fanfic for a while, it's nice to see you didn't abandon your GT4 story. 👍

DK
I haven't read a GT fanfic for a while, it's nice to see you didn't abandon your GT4 story. 👍

Thank you man, nice to see the oldest GT writer I know, heh. There came a time when I didn't felt satisfied about my story, and people moved on to GT5, so I decided to put it off. This is the first time I sort of up-to-date with Gran Turismo (if it wasn't for people talking about GT7 already), and so I decided to continue writing, at least until I think "enough is enough" and I get the writing bug out of my chest. :)

Chasing Rabbits

(At 4 p.m., five minutes after schelude, the race is about to begin in the London street circuit. Colin, in the comfy Alfa Romeo, starts on the back of the pack, which is slowly nearing the home straight. Next to the finish line, sitting in some white plastic chairs, are Casper, Ethan, Gale, and Aaron. The four grown men discuss the upcoming race while the engines of the competitors can be heard in the proximity.)

Ethan: (Proud) "Best seats in the place."
Aaron: "I would hardly call them that. Can't see no overtaking from here."
Ethan: "Well, the race starts and it ends here. When Colin wins we will be the first to know it."
Gale: "That's something positive to say, given there's a Clio V6 in the race."

(Aaron and Ethan turn back to Gale, who is resting on his chair with both hands behind his head.)

Gale: "Out of the twenty races scheduled, it has competed in nine and won them all."
Casper: "It dominated from start to finish. Even when it began in the back of the pack. No wonder it set the fastest lap of the day."
Ethan: "If the Clio is such miles ahead of the rest, why do they let it compete?"
Aaron: "Who do you think is responsible for the event?"
Ethan: "Let me guess... GTA?"
Aaron: (Pointing his index at Ethan) "Exactly. These people, they can't run events for ****. The Clio is a hot hatch and that's all they need to know to let it compete. (Clearly upset) They have no sense of balance whatsoever, to them this is just an exhibit, but some people take advantage of that and race only for the money."
Ethan: (Back to Gale) "So, what was the margin over the second placed car?"

(The Clio V6 crosses the starting line as the men follow its movement with their heads, and the race beings. Among the cars that follow are a Peugeot 205 and Renault 5 Turbo, as well as a dark blue Lancia Delta: Andrea Pellegrino's.)

image.jpg

Gale: "On average, we are talking fifteen seconds. It's a ridiculous difference for a track like this. You got to remember most of these drivers are just racing for hobby, so hardly anyone can stand up against it."
Ethan: "I know someone who can."

image.jpg

Colin (narrating):

The London circuit is rather short compared to the places I've been racing on, and has no noticeable elevation changes as well, owing to the streets it is set in. There are two corners that I still find difficult to tackle given my short practice time: the very first, tight right handed turn following the home straight, and the section immediately afterwards, where the track narrows to the left before turning right again, followed by another long right handed corner. It's easy for drivers to mess up and crash here, which is why at first I took them slow, trying to see how much space did I have to make some moves.

(Colin, thirteen seconds behind the Clio V6, crosses the starting line. His friends watch as Colin steps on the gas and heads for the first corner, braking before turning in. However, misculation provokes the Alfa to cut across the corner, running over the rumble strip.)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Colin: "****!"

image.jpg

Colin (narrating):

Like I said, that corner is one of the hardest of the track. Thankfully the car is not sluggish at all, and as the Alfa Romeo 147 in front of me leaves a gap to his right, I take my chance and squeeze in between the 147 and the barrier, with no issues whatsoever. However, through the mirror I can see him making gestures at me, though I don't know if it is because of the corner-cutting, or the bold move I just played on him.

image.jpg

Colin: "Sorry, bro."

image.jpg

(Ahead of the Alfa, the BMW 120i brakes for the long right-hander. Braking later than the BMW, but perfectly in control, Colin puts the Alfa ahead.)

image.jpg

Colin (narrating):

The good thing about the Alfa is that it handles better than I expected. I've only driven two cars other than this in a proper race: my Elise, and an M3 I borrowed at Nürburgring. But surprisingly, the Alfa is quick, responsive, and an excellent car for late braking. Yes, I knew how I was going to win the race.

image.jpg

(The 147 quickly catches up to the Abarth 500. Just like against the BMW, Colin takes advantage of the Alfa's phenomenal brakes and overtakes the Abarth on the exit of the corner, averting a collision on the exit.)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Colin (narrating):

There are only two laps to this race, so I will need to take risks if I plan on winning it. Coming out of the last corner I see the Renault 5 and the Delta, with Pellegrino on the wheel, close to turn 1.

image.jpg

(At the finish line, the rest watch on as Colin approaches. Casper, one cellphone in each hand, presses on the screen as soon as Colin finishes the first lap: he's timing him. Aaron and Ethan turn around to hear the result. A slightly surprised Casper smiles at them as he delivers the news.)

Casper: "One minute seventeen for the Clio. One minute... thirteen seconds for Colin. Eight seconds behind the Clio. He closed the gap."

(Ethan and the rest watch the speeding Alfa Romeo as Colin brakes and takes the corner flawlessly, this time avoiding the rumble strip.)

Ethan: (Smiling) "You son of a bitch..."

image.jpg

Colin (narrating):

I speed up as soon as I exit the corner and navigate through the following corners with ease, finding the Renault 5 braking for the long right hander.

image.jpg

Colin (narrating):

This is the moment. Without a doubt, I slam the brakes, feeling the weight shift from the back...

image.jpg

Colin (narrating):

...to the front.

image.jpg

Andrea: "Jesus, what a driver!"
Renault driver: "Are you ****ing crazy man, this is an exhibit!"

image.jpg

Colin (narrating):

I slowly push through between the Renault and the barrier, knowing very well one small mistake could cost us both the race.

image.jpg

Colin (narrating):

With my hands steady on the wheel and my foot firmly on the pedal, the Alfa overtakes the Renault 5 and both of us remain intact.

image.jpg

(Astonished by what he has just seen, Pellegrino can't help but praise the driver of the Alfa, who unbeknownst to him is actually Colin, whom he refused to lend his car to earlier.)

Andrea: "Just amazing! What planet did you come from?"

image.jpg

(Then, just as the next corner approaches, both cars brake for the turn, Colin much later than Andrea, trying to overtake him.)

Andrea: "You got guts, my friend!"

image.jpg

image.jpg

(Now in fourth place, only three cars stand between Colin and the victory. A frantic Andrea Pellegrino hits his steering wheel in excitement, as Colin speeds away.)

image.jpg

Colin: "Come on, you can do it."

(With few corners to go, and with the Peugeot and the Fiat now in front of him, Colin has to take his shot.)

image.jpg

(The young driver smashes the brakes much later than the Peugeot next to him, attempting to overtake both the 205 and the Fiat on the exit on the corner.)

image.jpg

(However, the Alfa is carrying too much speed compared to the Coupé ahead, and the Alfa rams the back end of the Fiat, causing both drivers to violently move forwards.)

image.jpg

Colin: "...****!"
Fiat driver: "Mother****er, you are dead!"

Colin (narrating):

This is one of the few times I have raced in a street circuit, and because of that I'm not too used to having little space to move the car around. Add the fact I still don't know the Alfa as much as I would like to, and... yes, it is all my fault, no point denying it. Right when we are coming out of the last corner, I see the Fiat following its racing line to the right.

image.jpg

Colin (narrating):

Because I'm carrying more speed than the Fiat through the last corner, I make my final overtake in the race, the Alfa passing right next to the Fiat at the start of the home straight.

image.jpg

Colin (narrating):

Then, for the first time since we lined up our cars for the beginning of the race, I see the rabbit I've been chasing for all this time, the rabbit I thought was uncatchable. One more lap, and I would have won.

image.jpg

Colin (narrating):

Second place has never felt so sweet.

image.jpg

(The Alfa crosses the finish line three seconds behind the Clio, having closed the thirteen seconds gap by ten in the span of two laps. Right near the finish line, Casper hits the button of the stopwatch app just as the Alfa passes in front of him. The Clio's record lap on the circuit was of 1 minute and fifteen seconds. Colin's, 1 minute and ten.)

End of Chapter 5.

Devil's Only Friend

An hour after the race is over, Aaron and Ethan are kneeling alongside the passed out Alfa Romeo driver, resting on a chair right beside his car. Although quite a few people surround them, Aaron starts slapping the man's face until he regains consciousness, startled. Aaron moves one of his fingers from side to side in front of the man's eyes, before speaking to him.

Aaron: "Good deed you did today, man."
Man: (Partially unconscious) "Who are you? Where am I?"
Ethan: "I suggest you go to a hospital or something." (Getting up, Ethan tosses the Alfa Romeo's keys unto the man's chest) "Thanks again for your help."
Man: (Looking at the keys, confused) "You are... welcome?"

Aaron and Ethan exchange smiles at each other, as they leave the man back with his Alfa Romeo, before heading back where Casper, Colin and Gale stand next to their cars, two blocks away. The silver-haired owner of the GT350 throws one cigarette to the ground before stepping on it, definitely not the last of many already on the ground.

Gale: "Great job, Colin. Didn't think you would catch up to that sucker."
Colin: "Yeah... At first that's what I thought, but... I feel like I'm not really racing out there."
Gale: "Hey." (Drawing another cigarette from his shirt as well as a Zippo lighter) "Soon we will find someone who matches up to you. Leave it to us."
Unknown man: (From the distance) "I can help with that."

The three turn around to find Andrea Pellegrino, back in his normal attire, consisting of white shoes, tight jeans and a black shirt with an open collar. A golden cross adorns his neck, but the Armani watch on his left wrist grabs all the attention. His slim build and long black hair make him appear, from behind, quite feminine indeed. He walks towards the group and stops in front of Colin, extending his hand in a friendly move. Instantly, Gale's expression changes from one of calm to one of disbelief, and the cigarette still intact drops from his hand, before he puts his lighter back into his shirt's pocket.

Andrea: "To think I almost denied you the opportunity to impress everyone in London, friend. I should slap myself with this hand of mine, but before I would like to congratulate you for the show."

Slightly embarrassed, Colin shakes his hand with Andrea, who winks confidently at him.

Colin: "It's okay. You worry about your car much like we do about ours."
Andrea: "I feel mad at myself for not seeing your potential, since I take pride in recognizing naturals."

Andrea turns his head towards Gale. His eyes turn from gentle to defiant in a split second.

Andrea: "Gale, my friend."
Gale: "How could you have known Colin was good?"
Andrea: "It's been a while since I've seen you."

Casper, quiet at the moment, looks at Gale, as if asking him to cut it out, but Gale doesn't notice, or better said, doesn't even care.

Gale: "Just answer the question."
Andrea: "You are right. I couldn't have. My mistake."

Perplexed about the situation and Gale's attitude, uncommon for a man like him, Colin looks at Casper, who shakes his head from side to side. His lips read "don't pay attention".

Andrea: (Looking at Colin) "May I ask how is it that you got here, friend? Being a race for hatchbacks, it's hard to think you came here without a car and wanted to enter at all costs."
Gale: (Just as Colin was about to answer) "We came here from Goodwood. And we are leaving when our friends get here."
Andrea: "Our friends? You mean Aaron and Ethan?" (Mockingly) "I presume Dylan as well?"
Gale: (Raging inside) "Don't push your luck."
Andrea: "I see..." (Back at Colin, gently) "Well, good luck with whatever it is you are looking to do, friend. Have a nice day."

The Italian driver turns around just as Aaron and Ethan are coming from behind him. They keep walking when they cross paths, at which point Andrea looks defiantly at Aaron, who doesn't return the look. As they get closer to Colin and the rest, Aaron walks towards his Superbird and sits on the trunk. He lets out a short laugh, which seconds later turns into a hysterical laughter.

Aaron: (Regaining his composture) "Ahh... How'd he find us, Gale? We were doing so well this year."
Gale: "I can't say I know."
Aaron: (Looking at the others) "Casper?"
Casper: "I'm as stumped as you are."
Ethan: (Biting his lips) "Same."

Not understanding what is going on between the rest and the man whom he found so gentle, Colin walks up to Aaron in order to get some answers.

Colin: "Do you guys know him?"
Aaron: (Following a brief pause) "Yeah... we know him."
Colin: "He seems like a nice guy, why is everyone acting like this?"
Aaron: "This... Andrea. Where do you know him from?"
Colin: "He's the guy who drove the Delta."
Aaron: "The Delta you needed for the race?"
Colin: "Yeah. That one."

Like before, Aaron starts laughing while staring at the distance, before looking back at Colin, still with a smile on his face.

Aaron: "Well, aren't you a lucky bastard?" (Still fixed on Colin) "Does he know where we are going, Gale?"
Gale: "No, I didn't tell him."
Aaron: (Relieved, but still troubled nonetheless) "Good. That's good."
Colin: "Why is nobody telling me what is going on?"
Aaron: "Get in my car. We'll talk on the way."

Not another word is spoken before Colin gets in the Superbird. Just as Aaron opens the driver's door of the Plymouth, Gale calls for him with his hand. Inside the car, Colin turns his head around towards the older men, when Gale whispers to Aaron's ear.

Gale: "He... he mentioned Dylan."

Angered, Aaron nods his head before getting back to the Superbird, Colin quickly facing forward in his seat. When Aaron finally gets into the car, he slams the door shut. He puts on his seatbelt, before saying his goodbyes to London. Later, on the road, the convoy consisting of the Superbird, the Elise and the Shelby's makes its way towards the Eurotunnel Shuttle, connecting Great Britain with mainland France. Inside the Plymouth, Aaron remains speechless, focused on the earlier encounter with Andrea Pellegrino. Colin, meanwhile, can't stand the silence and engages in conversation.

image.jpg

Colin: "You said we would speak on the way."
Aaron: (Staring at the road) "You don't do everything you say you'll do, do you?"
Colin: "I try to. Mind telling me what happened back there?"
Aaron: "Nothing you should worry about."
Colin: "Then why did everyone react the way they did? Something must have happened."

image.jpg

Aaron: "I told you it's none of your business. There's nothing to discuss."
Colin: "Why did you make me get in the car, then?"
Aaron: (For the first time making eye contact with Colin) "Look. Just don't mention Andrea in front of Gale. Do that, and vacations will be over before you know it. You will get off the car at the nearest stop."

Minutes pass with the two in silence. Suddenly, Colin remembers part of the conversation earlier that day, between Gale and Andrea. However, he doesn't look at Aaron, as he did during their earlier conversation. Rather, he looks to his right side. Then, he spits it out.

image.jpg

Colin: "Who's Dylan?"
Aaron: (His eyes begin to water, his grip on the wheel getting tighter) "That's for Gale to tell you."

End of Chapter 6.

The Day Our Hobby Died

Colin (narrating)

At the next stop, I did as Aaron asked me to. I got out of the car and, when Casper opened the door to make place for me in the Elise, I told him to stay inside and made my way towards Gale's Shelby. As soon as I lay a hand on the car, I remembered what was going to be a nice vacation with Casper and my brother Chester in Europe, five years ago. I remembered my time in Costa di Amalfi, where I lived with Aaron, Ethan and Gale for three months before returning back to the States. I remembered it took fifteen years and three strangers for me to know how did my father actually die, because in Casper's words, my mother and him didn't find the right moment to tell me Dad killed himself in a japanese highway while racing a stolen car. Having started racing karts at five, they figured I would quit the only thing that got my mind off Dad if I knew the truth behind his death.

I remembered travelling back to Europe every year since then. I knew hanging out with these people was the next best thing to having my father with me. The way they spoke about him, whenever they told me stories of him... It was like closing a chapter from my childhood. And now, there was this guy everyone hated and wouldn't even speak of. And I hadn't heard of this Dylan either in my time with the guys. So what I wanted was answers. I didn't want anyone to hide something from me anymore.

When I got inside the Shelby, the first thing Gale asked me was "what brings you here"? If I had known what he was about to tell me, I probably wouldn't have told him the truth. But at that moment, I needed to know who Andrea Pellegrino and this guy Dylan were.

Gale (narrating)

I had a bad feeling when we arrived to London. Those feelings were confirmed when we found out Colin needed a car he didn't have to take part in the race. Moreover, when we found out what he was up against in the race, I knew it was going to be a ****** day indeed. But once the race was over, those feelings were gone. I care about the kid, like everyone else does, even Ethan, though he may show it only when Colin is not around. That's why I want him to do well. Then, when Andrea Pellegrino came creeping behind us, those feelings returned, along with everything I kept inside of me for over 30 years. Because this was not Andrea Pellegrino. And he sure wasn't Italian. He was from America, like all of us.

His real name was Philip Mahoney. Over 30 years later, and I still remember that face. The way he smiled, just like he used to in order to get sponsors. Saying "my friend" all the time, lowering your guard to stab you in the back during a race. Yes, that was Philip Mahoney alright. The farther he was from Colin, the better for every one of us. Because we didn't want another Dylan Price on our hands.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

Dylan was one of many friends we made at the tracks. He was from Monterrey, just like Colin's family, but had no relationship with them at all. He was, however, a promising driver, just like Colin is. In those days, we would spend a lot of our time at Laguna Seca. "Factory from Monday to Friday, Laguna Seca on the weekends", as Aaron used to say. We had met Dylan like we have met several persons over the years, including Casper and Colin's father: racing. It's easier to see a person's true nature on the track, since everyone's mood is better when they are doing what they love. And Dylan seemed like a good fella to us.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

It was November 14th, 1981. Five months had passed since we met him in Laguna Seca. In a 10-lap race, Dylan entered the eighth lap in ninth place. He had lost a lot of time earlier in the race after Mahoney spun him out in the Rainey Curve during the fifth lap, using the PIT maneuver so commonly seen on TV. Dylan had been leading the race from the end of the first lap, after he overtook Mahoney at the last corner of Laguna Seca. The son of a bitch just couldn't take it like a gentleman.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

However, Dylan was quick. Like I said, even though he was in ninth place, he overtook six cars in laps eight and nine to go from 9th place to 3rd, setting his fastest lap ever at Laguna Seca in the process.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

Among the cars he overtook was Aaron's Dodge Charger, with the man himself on the wheel, the car racing in bronze for the last time.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

Just like against Mahoney, Dylan took advantage of the Camaro's lilghter weight and smaller frame to speed past Aaron in the last corner of the track. Unlike Mahoney, however, Aaron smiled at the Camaro instead of sending it to a spin.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

Dyland and the '69 Camaro were catching up to Mahoney, now in second, and the green Superbird which was on the lead.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

Something we used to repeat a lot of the time was that it was always possible to shave two seconds or three from your best laptime. The difference between a great driver and a legend were those three seconds, in which your mind disconnects from your body and you are not afraid anymore to push your car to its limits. That explains why Dylan went flying into the Corkscrew...

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

...and why it took him ages to slam the brakes, as Aaron noticed from his Charger.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

A cloud of smoke covered the end of the Rahal straight, as the Camaro's wheels locked up from the pressure exerted on the brakes.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

The Camaro kept skidding uncontrollably towards the wall, with Dylan trying to steer into the Corkscrew, to no avail.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

However, Dylan slowly managed to correct the course by releasing the brakes and unlocking the wheels, his racing line now a total disaster.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

Once he made it into the sand trap, Dylan was safe... or not. Because some people are stubborn and will not accept defeat. Instead of braking and getting out of his car like many would have done at that point, he chose to keep his foot on the throttlek, trying to attempt one final overtake on Mahoney.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

From what we heard afterwards, the Camaro was going to collide against Mahoney's Charger hadn't Dylan lifted his foot off the gas pedal. According to the description from the crowd, and the marks on the sand, he was going to T-bone the Super Bee.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

As it came rolling down the hill, the Camaro moved abruptly to the right, avoiding the Charger, but at the same time, lacking the speed necessary to get away.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

Mahoney's Charger hit the rear left panel of the Camaro, sending it back against the wall to its right, with too little time for Dylan to react.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

I can't blame Mahoney for the contact, because I don't know what I would have done if a Camaro that was supposed to stay off the track suddenly appeared in front of me.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

Aaron saw the moment of the accident first-hand, when the Camaro swerved violently to the right and impact the wall head-on, which is why he gets so emotional and sometimes attempts to laugh it off, to no avail. There's no doubt that's what happened in the Superbird and why Colin came to me asking for an explanation.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

I said that I can't blame Mahoney for bumping into the Camaro. But I can blame him for everything he did before and after the race. He overtook the Superbird on the final straight, winning, but said nothing about the accident afterwards. He won a race that should have been Dylan's, just like it was during the first half of the race. Spinning him out earlier in the race was, partially, the reason of the accident, since Dylan's pace was good enough to win the race with ease, and only crashed because he was going faster than the Camaro allowed him to. Part of the blame, as well, was Dylan's for not giving up... and another part was ours for saying to him you can always be a bit faster.

image.jpg

Gale (narrating)

Dylan didn't die in Laguna Seca. He spent one week in the hospital before dying from internal bleeding, on November 21th. Ethan wasn't at the track that day, but he did provide blood for Dylan, which neither Aaron or me could do because our blood wasn't compatible. His family had the body cremated, and we scattered the ashes in Laguna Seca the weekend afterwards, the last of November. We would always stop being ourselves starting Monday before reverting back on Saturdays. The Saturday of November 14th, however, was the last day we looked at racing as the hobby it was to us.

End of Chapter 7.

Back