Mention system not working?

India
India
AfraidRacer
AfraidRacer17
I've been mentioned twice in the last few days, haven't received any alerts.
Also, do you get mentioned when someone quotes a post mentioning you?

I'm not aware of any issues.

Can you provide links to the posts you were mentioned in which you think you should have been alerted for?

Keep in mind that if someone edits their post to add a mention of you, you won't be alerted for that. This is generally the most common situation which confuses people and makes them think the mention system isn't working. The mention has to be in the post as it is originally submitted for an alert to be triggered.

Also, do you get mentioned when someone quotes a post mentioning you?
No, quotes only trigger alerts if you are the one being quoted.

I'm not aware of any issues.

Can you provide links to the posts you were mentioned in which you think you should have been alerted for?

Keep in mind that if someone edits their post to add a mention of you, you won't be alerted for that. This is generally the most common situation which confuses people and makes them think the mention system isn't working. The mention has to be in the post as it is originally submitted for an alert to be triggered.

No, quotes only trigger alerts if you are the one being quoted.
Here's a post which was edited(I was not aware of this, sorry!)
But I didn't receive any alert for this one, my alerts page looks like this:
Screenshot (523).png

RacingGrandpa(I won't @ to not disturb them) posted at 3:03 and edited later, so I have made a mistake as I did not know about this,
However, Illum_Concept mentioned me at 5:38, so I should have received a notification then.

Yes, that tag was also edited in afterwards.

(I was not aware of this, sorry!)
No worries! It is confusing and inconsistent behavior and does not work the way you would expect. I've brought it up with the forum software developers but I don't think it's something that will be implemented. Although it appears straightforward, it increases the complexity of the editing and notification system significantly if you don't want to spam users with notifications every time someone edits a post they're mentioned in.

Ok thanks! I can't see the edited part though, maybe that's a bug?

Attachments

• Screenshot (524).png
    Screenshot (524).png
    39.4 KB · Views: 13
If you edit a post within five minutes of posting it, the "edited" message will not be displayed. (Staff members can see it, but not regular users.)

He edited your tag within the first minute, so you can't see it.

Actually, come to think of it, I should probably remove that delayed edit notice as I see how it could cause some confusion about tag alerts like this.

Isn't there a way to still have mentions on edits give alerts?
Is that something working on in the next update with that elusive dark mode?

If you edit a post within five minutes of posting it, the "edited" message will not be displayed. (Staff members can see it, but not regular users.)

He edited your tag within the first minute, so you can't see it.

Actually, come to think of it, I should probably remove that delayed edit notice as I see how it could cause some confusion about tag alerts like this.
That explains that.

As long as you don't change it to 'edited 3 times within a minute of posting because he can't ****ing proof read properly.'
:guilty:

Funny thing for me is, I always thought the small window of editing without the edit tag appearing meant that's how much time I had to edit a post and still tag someone so they would get the notification. :lol:

Funny thing for me is, I always thought the small window of editing without the edit tag appearing meant that's how much time I had to edit a post and still tag someone so they would get the notification. :lol:
Yeah, I can see why you would think that. I have since removed the edit notice delay.

Last edited:
Back