Menu 37 Rally - Need help.

United States
United States
I’m on menu 37 and am trying some of the dirt tracks with a NiSMO ‘17 with some dirt tires. I am sliding like on ice. Is this how the physics are supposed to work? Would a true gr.b car perform better? I can buy one since I have some money to burn now or win one first at Alacse (spelling). But is there a thread on tuning them? The main tuning threads seem to ignore rally cars. Thanks.

Start with Alsace, I think you win a Gr.B car there and then you can give it a try.
Though yes, the dirt tracks are skating (very slow in, very tight corner and then fast out), but I cant tell how much this has changed all over the updates.

dirt tracks with a NiSMO ‘17
GT has never had great loose-surface physics, but even if it was the best simulator in the entire universe you wouldn't get far in a low-slung performance car with rubber-band tyres.

Yes, you'll need something with a decent ground clearance, suspension travel, and tyres that are slightly taller in the sidewall. A Gr.B race car is definitely the way to go as they are, quite literally, made for it.

Start with Alsace, I think you win a Gr.B car there and then you can give it a try.
Though yes, the dirt tracks are skating (very slow in, very tight corner and then fast out), but I cant tell how much this has changed all over the updates.
Thanks. Are there any important tuning upgrades to make? I haven’t seen tunes specifically for 700pp rally cars. I don’t have a clue abt settings. I usually follow the lists here.

The physics for dirt racing in GT7 are really bad no matter what car you use, but Gr.B do handle better than regular road cars with dirt tires.
I can’t remember exactly which car I used to win this menu book, but it was for sure a Gr.B car, most likely the Ford Focus Gr.B. The Ford Focus Gr.B is good for winning a lot of the rally and dirt races, but there were a few that I needed other Gr.B cars to win with.
As far as tuning, they really changed the suspension and aero settings for them with the recent 1.31 so any older tunes you might find probably will need tweaked, but as a general rule of thumb don’t lower them too low, don’t set their dampers or springs too stiff and 50:50 torque split isn’t always better, sometimes you need more like 30:70 to help rotate the rear end.

GT has never had great loose-surface physics, but even if it was the best simulator in the entire universe you wouldn't get far in a low-slung performance car with rubber-band tyres.

Yes, you'll need something with a decent ground clearance, suspension travel, and tyres that are slightly taller in the sidewall. A Gr.B race car is definitely the way to go as they are, quite literally,

The physics for dirt racing in GT7 are really bad no matter what car you use, but Gr.B do handle better than regular road cars with dirt tires.
I can’t remember exactly which car I used to win this menu book, but it was for sure a Gr.B car, most likely the Ford Focus Gr.B. The Ford Focus Gr.B is good for winning a lot of the rally and dirt races, but there were a few that I needed other Gr.B cars to win with.
As far as tuning, they really changed the suspension and aero settings for them with the recent 1.31 so any older tunes you might find probably will need tweaked, but as a general rule of thumb don’t lower them too low, don’t set their dampers or springs too stiff and 50:50 torque split isn’t always better, sometimes you need more like 30:70 to help rotate the rear e
The problem is that I don’t understand tuning besides adding upgrades and easy things like ballist and power reduction. Things like tuning the gearing are above my head. Can I run these rally cars stock with going into ratios and such?

The problem is that I don’t understand tuning besides adding upgrades and easy things like ballist and power reduction. Things like tuning the gearing are above my head. Can I run these rally cars stock with going into ratios and such?
If in doubt, set the game to easy and dont sweat about dirt driving.
I think I didnt change the car and used it like it was, at least in terms of aero, suspension and gears.

Or for the patient player: you can get the required cars in the legenday car dealer, it just may take some time for them to show up there.

I’m on menu 37 and am trying some of the dirt tracks with a NiSMO ‘17 with some dirt tires. I am sliding like on ice. Is this how the physics are supposed to work? Would a true gr.b car perform better? I can buy one since I have some money to burn now or win one first at Alacse (spelling). But is there a thread on tuning them? The main tuning threads seem to ignore rally cars. Thanks.

You can use either of the pick-up trucks (you should have 1). Do all the usual stuff you do, but buy the racing trans & in tune-up settings go to the trans & in auto adjust, set the bar to 190. This is 1 of the easiest ways to raise or lower top speed. I can't remember the exact races you're doing & if the PP is set, but you should be able to win. Good luck.

You can use either of the pick-up trucks (you should have 1). Do all the usual stuff you do, but buy the racing trans & in tune-up settings go to the trans & in auto adjust, set the bar to 190. This is 1 of the easiest ways to raise or lower top speed. I can't remember the exact races you're doing & if the PP is set, but you should be able to win. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip. Is it easier to drive the pick-up trucks than a gr.b car like the ford focus?

Thanks for the tip. Is it easier to drive the pick-up trucks than a gr.b car like the ford focus?
They all, unfortunately do bounce badly, but the truck is heavier. Just tap the brakes before hitting a bump & you should be able to control your vehicle. Brake a little earlier, start your turn & throttle up, power sliding through the turns.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
You shouldn’t need to do much tuning to a Gr.B car for this menu book race. For Dirt races I usually just add/remove power first, then aero to meet PP restrictions, if any. I don’t do much tuning to the suspension and even less to gearing for these. Suspension should be very close to stock settings. Aero I add/remove based on how the car feels on the track I’m running it at. The biggest factor for me is usually the torque split, finding the right ratio for traction yet controlled power slides around the curves and corners as it varies from car to car, track to track. I usually do a few practice runs to get my tune right before the race.

I wouldn't worry about tuning the gr.b cars if you're not sure what you're doing. Easy to go wrong there and the stock tunes work well enough to win these events. Maybe tweak the power / downforce settings to meet PP restrictions or lower the suspension for asphalt races if you need to.

Back