Mercedes-Benz: The Legend of the Silver Arrow

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 15 comments
  • 1,098 views

JohnBM01

21 years!
In Memoriam
Messages
26,911
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
Messages
JMarine25
A car company I've recently gotten into is Mercedes-Benz. These mostly silver cars race DTM, steal the hearts of many on the road, and just looks good doing it all. The newer models caught my eye nowadays, and being at the Houston Auto Show, I've seen many Mercedes and even gotten into some, just to see what it feels like to be in a Mercedes-Benz. The newer model little SLK carries the grill type of the beautiful Mercedes-McLaren SLR (right car name?) as in "Pimp Racer's" Avatar. But this little machine has some alluring headlights, stylistic tail lights, and I think with options, you can have navigation and that little phone system. It's not coming to North America, but those one-off CLK-DTMs would make a nice choice for a track car, that is, if your hometown can't get enough of seeing one on the road.

So, this thread is dedicated to the Silver Arrow. The subtitle to this thread should sound familiar, it's the race series from Gran Turismo 3. But since we're talking Mercedes and not GT3, come on in if you want to talk about Mercedes-Benz.

P.S.: This would have been a new topic had my computer not crash so bad that I had to take the plug out of the computer and then reboot it. I thank the crash-happy eMachines for this. Good one, punks. Anyhow, let's talk Mercedes-Benz!
 
if your into Mercedes Benz, then you should try the PC game 'Mercedes Benz world racing', an execellent game with tons of different models old and new
 
Heard an AMG SL55 go past under full throttle while I was out for a jog this afternoon - that is one glorious sounding V8 at full noise.
 
I've seen an SL55 AMG. I have a Mercedes, I love it more than anything. I'm only 0.2 seconds off the SL55's 0-60 time.

That said, I hate Mercedes. If there's any one company that charges the highest possible price for its name, it's Mercedes - even more than BMW. E-class wagons are the worst example - $50000 is the base price on one of those, and AWD is $2500 extra. And people wonder why SUVs are so popular.
 
Originally posted by M5Power
That said, I hate Mercedes.

Is that because they make the E55 AMG to compete with BMW's M5?
 
I like Mercedes. BMW's new designs are going no where. I own every Mercedes in any game that has them.
 
Originally posted by vat_man
Heard an AMG SL55 go past under full throttle while I was out for a jog this afternoon - that is one glorious sounding V8 at full noise.
Is that you in your avatar?
 
Originally posted by AP1
Is that because they make the E55 AMG to compete with BMW's M5?

I'm not nearly as much of an M5 fan as I once was, particularly after owning one briefly - the dream definitely didn't meet the reality, and the Mercedes I replaced it with is actually much better than the BMW ever was.
 
Is it true that the ledgend of the "Silver Arrow" came about during a race, many moons ago, where Mercedes wasnt going to be allowed to race in a particular race due to it's car being a few pounds over weight. So what the team did was scrape off all the paint down to it's aluminium body. Hence the term "Silver Arrow?"
 
Originally posted by pimp racer
Is that you in your avatar?

Yup - partner took that at about the 30km mark of the Canberra Marathon.
 
Canberra Marathon? You sure no V8 Supercars were racing on those SUPER-TIGHT streets around your way, mate?

And I see "Pimp Racer" in this forum, and I knew I mentioned his avatar. But to me, Mercedes-Benz are quite stylish in silver. I don't think they look good in anything other than a monochromatic color as white or black. Normally, I like red, green, or even blue for cars, but I don't know about Mercedes. There is a Mercedes from the past that was in the intro to the SPEED Channel series, "Racing Mercedes." It was a long, silver machine that was in racing witihin maybe a decade after World War 2. Don't know the name of it, but I'll keep looking.
 
I have a Mercedes. It's an '85 190E. And it's sitting outside collecting dust, due to a nearly busted engine, and a flat tire that I can't change because removing the wheels requires some special lug wrench that I don't have.
 
Originally posted by JohnBM01
Canberra Marathon? You sure no V8 Supercars were racing on those SUPER-TIGHT streets around your way, mate?

Very sure - haven't been seen in those parts for a couple of years. There was a change of Government in the ACT (the 'regional' government there) who did the sums and realised just how much the event cost. Having run throught there now, I can say it is a singularly unsuitable place to run race meetings.
 
After playing "Pro Race Driver" at Canberra with those wonderful Australian V8 cars, it led me to believe Canberra is a car breaker. Worst of all, one turn was basically ONE LANE! If I wanted one lane, I'd jump into the pits. But, man.

Isn't there a Mercedes team that's racing SPEED World Challenge this year? I don't think Mercedes has a cheap car for people to buy. When I say cheap, I mean like, under 30 or 40 K cars. I think Germany has that front-drive Avantgarde (featured in Gran Turismo 2), but even if that found its way into America, I think the firm would still be better known for their alluring luxury sports cars. Maybe there should have been a "Victory by Design" series on Mercedes-Benz. But then, that would conflict with "Racing Mercedes." And as far as DTM goes, I don't know how that D2 AMG team is doing this year. I've known the DTM team in question for the wonderful Bernd Schneider. I think one Mercedes weighs about 3769 (almost as much as the Mitsubishi 3000GT), and costs almost $200,000. This is a pure luxury ride, so what do you expect?
 
the car that began the silver arrow legend was the racing cars from befor the 2nd world war like the w125.

they were the most adavnced cars of the time funded by hitler and the nazi's for Propaganda and to develop engines for its fighter planes. this mercedes below had over 600 horse power and could do 200mph in the 1930s its only rivel was the Autounion team also funded by the nazi's and these cars were designed by Mr Porsche.

the paint thing is right as germany racing colours were white but the car was slighly over the 750kg minimum weight limit and they striped of the paint to the silver aluiminum to get below this. thats why they are called the silver arrows.

83.jpg
 
Beautiful car, James. An old episode of Autoweek featured the 50th Anniversary of the SL500. I tell you, those cars from the 1950s and 1960s are a thing of beauty. They sell VERY high at Barrett-Jackson. I seen one in red, and it was alright. But to me, Mercedes-Benz cars seem to look best in silver, and maybe black. But the car I mentioned a few seconds ago, can you imagine how they look if they were considered new cars? I mean, you can have your Corvettes and Belairs, but they are no more beautiful than the SLs of the past. And keep in mind, I love the Corvettes and Belairs. But this is about Mercedes-Benz in this thread.
 
Back