Mercedes R-class

  • Thread starter Thread starter skip0110
  • 20 comments
  • 897 views
Messages
5,178
United States
Worcester, MA
Messages
skip0110
mercedesrclass053ou.jpg


Do you see a future for what is esentially a $40,000 minivan? Will M-class buyers see this as a more family friendly alternative, or will they look right through the "sports tourer" ads and see it as what it is--a Town and Country with an upscale badge?
 
It's only the badge that makes it so expensive, the rest is crap..
 
skip0110
mercedesrclass053ou.jpg


Do you see a future for what is esentially a $40,000 minivan? Will M-class buyers see this as a more family friendly alternative, or will they look right through the "sports tourer" ads and see it as what it is--a Town and Country with an upscale badge?

I'd like if it didn't look like that.
 
Wow. That is one ugly minivan.
I see basically no future for something like this. For 40 large, many will either go buy an SUV, or a station wagon.
 
Neocrox
It's only the badge that makes it so expensive, the rest is crap..

^ I am so with you!

-> My question is why MBZ decided to build this? Was MBZ inspired from the Pacifica (Chrysler) formula? Europeans deemed this vehicle too big, and it didn't break any new grounds except being the most expensive tall wagon/minivan. Plus this vehicle is over-hyped. :indiff:

-> I'd rather get the Odyssey Touring with DVD/Navi instead. (:
 
I guess its built off the Pacifica platform since I believe they share the same 3.5L V6 engine, however I think the R-Class you can get an optional 5.something liter V8. I'm not sure so don't quote me.

But I think the think is ugly, just like everything else that is considered a mini van, cross over, whatever.
 
The 3.5 L engine is Mercedes designed, not the Chrysler unit. The Pacifica is a FWD derivative platform. The R-class is based off the M-class SUV.
 
Gotcha, but I know the Pacifca comes in AWD as well (my mom owns one). But there are a lot of MB componets on it, because there is no way in hell Chysler would design a vehicle that rides that nice.
 
Actually, you might be surprised. It borrows heavily from the Chrysler Town and Country/Dodge Caravan--engines, AWD system, and much of the suspension as well. M-B may have had an effect on quality control, but I believe it's mostly Chrysler engineering.
 
Well the only complaints I have about the Pacifica is the fact is grossly underpowered, has a terriable amount of torque steer in it FWD biased AWD, and the blind spots are terriable as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same in the non V8 R-class.
 
Oh my god.

The front end's grill and logo is HUGE, to emphasize the fact that it's not a Chrysler, but a Mercedes. Secondly, that makes the entire VAN look tiny by comparison and more like a Pontiac Aztec than a minivan. :nervous:

(Hey Blazin'! Permit's valid on Thursday :scared: )
 
The R class is a combination pacifica/Magnum....And looks awful..it's proportions are so gross.

I see a few outside the dealership on my way to class every afternoon, and they have yet to look any nicer.
 
Are you uys serious that this car is basically just a rebadged american car. Man mercedes need to fix up they suck. No wonder audi is catching up with bmw and mercedes (hasnt audi infact overtaken mercedes a long time ago?).

This is what I will now say about mercedes. Dont buy one unless your gonna get a E class or above or one of the clks or slks.
 
skip0110
Do you see a future for what is esentially a $40,000 minivan?
There are a lot of people out there with a lot of money and a lot of children. I work at a tutoring place, and it’s far from uncommon to see moms transporting their 2 or 3 children in Escalades and Land Cruisers and Hummer H2s; I’d much rather see people plunk down their money for something like this than the aforementioned suburb-utes.

Will M-class buyers see this as a more family friendly alternative, or will they look right through the "sports tourer" ads and see it as what it is--a Town and Country with an upscale badge?
Except that it’s more of an M-class. ;)

It isn’t just a Pacifica with a Mercedes badge though – this thing has a crap-load of luxury features and a gorgeous interior. If somebody has the money, I don’t see why they wouldn’t mind buying this over a Pacifica. Why buy a BMW 3-series over a Subaru WRX, when they both have similar performance figures? – because one will transport you in more comfort and with more features.
 
Young_Warrior
Are you uys serious that this car is basically just a rebadged american car.

Erm. No. The Pacifica is a FWD/AWD platform with a transverse engine. The R-class is longitudinal AWD, which skip has already said is based on the M-class sport-ute.

Based on drivetrain layout alone, they are unlikely to share many parts.

On topic: I don't mind the looks of the R. But it's too expensive for what it is. It really needs to be low 40s instead of high 40s to start. A loaded R500 is $70,000. And that's nuts.

Of course, if they lowered the price of the R, it would draw attention to the fact that most of their lineup is also, in fact, overpriced.


M
 
Sage
There are a lot of people out there with a lot of money and a lot of children. I work at a tutoring place, and it’s far from uncommon to see moms transporting their 2 or 3 children in Escalades and Land Cruisers and Hummer H2s; I’d much rather see people plunk down their money for something like this than the aforementioned suburb-utes.

It isn’t just a Pacifica with a Mercedes badge though – this thing has a crap-load of luxury features and a gorgeous interior. If somebody has the money, I don’t see why they wouldn’t mind buying this over a Pacifica. Why buy a BMW 3-series over a Subaru WRX, when they both have similar performance figures? – because one will transport you in more comfort and with more features.
If this is about getting a nice Mercedes to move the family around in comfort and luxury, I suppose it's a good choice. I would think a AWD E-class wagon would be a nicer drive, though. They still come with a rear-facing seat, right?

As to a suburban SUV alternative, it's not much better. It weighs 4917 pounds--thats only about 100 pounds lighter than a Envoy XL (the one with 3 rows). I'm sure many unibody SUVs (Acura MDX) will be lighter. And the R500 still has a big V8. It's just as "socially irresponsible" as any SUV (at least the V8). The V6 might be a better choice; but I still think the minivan/car-based sport-utes (Acura MDX, Ford Freestyle) are much better for transporting kids.
 
What I am about to say is my opionion and my opinion only,so if you don't like it,well,imagine I said something that violates the TOS.

And what I am going to say:

Ugliest.Mercedes.Ever.I.Have.The.Urge.To.Throw.Up. :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
 
-> Heh, heh, DCX similarities arise thou, just take a look at those B-pillars to the rear rear end:

mercedesrclass053ou.jpg


Chrysler_Pacifica_xx.jpg


^ They almost look alike! Although these two vanettes have very different frame that was based from. (:
 
skip0110
If this is about getting a nice Mercedes to move the family around in comfort and luxury, I suppose it's a good choice. I would think a AWD E-class wagon would be a nicer drive, though. They still come with a rear-facing seat, right?
Yeah. And I totally agree – you know I’m a big station wagon person, so I’d easily choose an E-class wagon over an R-class, but for people who want the “dining chair” seating position, the R-class would be the better choice for them. Again, I would never buy an R-class even if I had all the money in the world, but I can still see why some people would want it, and I don’t think it’ll flop. It seems (and I’m making a totally unscientific conjecture here) that once you get above the $40,000 territory, buyers tend to be less concerned about price and more concerned about what they want; if you can easily afford a $50,000 car, chances are you can easily afford a $60,000 car (which doesn’t hold true for the difference between someone buying a $15,000 car and a $25,000 car – that’s a hugenormous difference for people shopping in that price range).

Just what I think. :)
 
I can't stand it. IMO it's a V8 minivan that in reality can't go much faster than the others. DC Backfired with this one.
 
Back