MG Special 1952

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 12 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

StarLight Garage presents her 150th car suggestion and another big milestone for the GT-series Garage.

First of all I want to thank everyone who has voted for my suggestions, I only did the suggestion but you are the one who make it happen!

The car I want introduce today is the MG Special or MG Canelas, the MG what?
Yes, the MG Special aka MG Canelas is a very rare Portuguese car and many Portuguese doesn't know either the existence of the car.
A racing classic car made in Portugal, also known as the Portuguese Ferrari.

sdgqx2.png

This one-off MG was built in Portugal in 1954 bij a Portuguese mechanical engineer José Jorge Canelas.

Canelas used a MG TC (1952) a pre war car from the Morris Garage for the hill-climb in Portugal (1952). The MG TC had only three synchronized gears, hydraulic brakes and a top speed of 125 km/h.

Unhappy with the MG TC performance, Canelas initiated a bunch of changes which result was a total new car and only the chassis survived.
For the design of the new body he got the assistance of his colleague Antonio Andrade, also a mechanical engineer who liked to delineate new cars.

After a while even the original chassis (# 2949) did not correspond to their wishes and a new tubular chassis began to take shape in a improvised garage in Lisbon.

Canelas new chassis used steel tubes in chrome-molybdenum which where welded at the General Aeronautical Material Workshops.

After contemplated and studied the air intakes for cooling the front and rear brakes. Further they placed a tunnel at the right front fender for the engine air admission.

When the car was finished, it was a total different car form the original, the car was lower, elegant and very original. Dennis Jenkinson would later dedicate an article in Motorsport and considered the MG Especial as an example of high engineering and quality automobile.

Three years later Ferrari would present their new Ferrari Testa Rossa (1957), which looks a lot to the MG Special and so the Portuguese Ferrari was born. See it for yourself in the pictures below.

Specifications
Engine: 4 cylinder 1500 cc
Power: 95 hp
Transmission: 4 manual
Top speed: 195 km/h
Weight: 550 kg

2ch3yfd.jpg

2zg7kt3.png

smdbv9.png

25sc5yx.jpg

THE OTHER MGS ARE HERE

Last edited:
I knew it! The 150th suggestion of my friend StarLight would be something really good!

My Congratulations and Thanks for learning me about rare and unique cars! :bowdown:

Thanks, that's precisely my mission, bring rare and historic cars to the GT-series ... anyway you understand that. 👍

Yeah sometimes I have also weird suggestions but that is also part of the game, you liked or not and there is nothing between. :P

Anyway StarLight Garage "layout" has been copied a few times by others, no problem at all I only see that as huge compliment!

:cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks, that's precisely my mission, bring rare and historic cars to the GT-series ... anyway you understand that. 👍

Yeah sometimes I have also weird suggestions but that is also part of the game, you liked or not and there is nothing between. :P

Anyway StarLight Garage "layout" has been copied a few times by others, no problem at all I only see that as huge compliment!

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery my friend. I've learnt from the master on how to make a post interesting & look good at the same time.

I wonder if you have found some enrichment for this thread or are the difficult to get, I can't find much more either?
Thanks for your awesome research on the other threads, very appreciated.

Mmm...never searched for extra info about this car...But this looks like a good challenge for me :sly:

Starting the research. Stay tuned!

;)👍

Well, well, well ... you did an awesome research, you found some nice enrichment.
Congratulations you won the challenge. 👍
Once again thanks!

Back