Micr0ostransaction. How much does it cost in GT6 that you gor for free in GT%?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cpgmm
  • 28 comments
  • 4,094 views
Messages
91
Messages
cpgmm
  • Alfa Romeo GIULIA TZ2 carrozzata da ZAGATO CN.AR750106 '65 - 10 million ($75)
  • Audi R8 LMS '09 - 5.25 million ($45)
  • GT by Citroen Race Car - 5.6 million ($50)
  • Ferrari 250 GTO CN.3729GT '62 - 20 million ($150)
  • Ferrari 330 P4 '67 - 20 million ($150)
  • Jaguar XJ13 Chrome Line/'66 - 20 million ($150)
  • Lamborghini Miura P400 Bertone Prototype CN.0706 '67 - 15 million ($110)
  • Mercedes-Benz Sauber Mercedes C9 '89 - 5.35 million ($45)
  • Red Bull X2010 Prototype/X2011 Prototype - 20 million ($150)
  • Chaparral 2J '70 - 15 million ($110)
 
Or you could put "Cost of buying and playing the game" in the brackets.

I will not buy credits for GT^ yet I will buy those cars listed. Go figure.
 
We need a new term. "Microtransactions" are good for F2P mobile apps at 0.50-2$. There is nothing micro about even the least expensive GT6 credits package.


According to Collins English Dictionary, Micro means "Very small". The transactions in GT6 are not very small, therefore they cannot properly be called Microtranactions. I started calling them Macrotransactions, because when the word Macro is combined with another word it means, "Large...or great in size".

I paid £39.85 for GT6 at launch, but it costs £39.99 for 1 transaction of 7 million in-game credits. That's more than the game itself! Macrotransactions will be what I call them. If they charged £0.70 for 7 million credits, that would be reasonable, & then I'd call it a Microtransaction.

The whole pricing of them in GT6 is disgusting imo. :yuck:
 
I understand the point the OP is trying to make but MTs have nothing to do with buying the cars. You can still get the cars without paying cash for them.

Also, the prices the OP listed are incorrect (some of those prices were from release, not post updates): The 2J is 4.5M credits, X2010 is 6M, Citroen GT Race Car is a couple of million if memory serves.

Personally, I forget that MTs are even in the game....the area to click and buy them is small, I earn enough credits to buy whatever I want (mostly). If I need the money, then I can run the RB Standard champ for 2M or whatever it is. I do agree that the prices are way too high and calling them micro is wrong. I am used to them in paid for games as other games I play have them (Football Manager on PC for one....they don't impact the game there either, just allows you to progress quicker if you want).
 
You should update your game sometime - those prices haven't been accurate since December 5th.
We need a new term. "Microtransactions" are good for F2P mobile apps at 0.50-2$. There is nothing micro about even the least expensive GT6 credits package.
VBR
According to Collins English Dictionary, Micro means "Very small". The transactions in GT6 are not very small, therefore they cannot properly be called Microtranactions. I started calling them Macrotransactions, because when the word Macro is combined with another word it means, "Large...or great in size".

I paid £39.85 for GT6 at launch, but it costs £39.99 for 1 transaction of 7 million in-game credits. That's more than the game itself! Macrotransactions will be what I call them. If they charged £0.70 for 7 million credits, that would be reasonable, & then I'd call it a Microtransaction.

The whole pricing of them in GT6 is disgusting imo. :yuck:
"Micro" in this case is a contraction of "microcomputer".

A "microtransaction" is the exchange of real currency for currency that only has value within the confines of software - thus even an exchange that costs you £40 is a microtransaction. And remember, every microtransaction on a F2P game also costs you more than the game itself.

And it's largely not relevant. GT6's in-game economy at launch was the same (broadly) as GT5's. Now they've increased prize funds by 10-80%, added daily login bonuses of up to 200% and seasonals - even if you missed the 11m seasonals over Christmas - put out like that girl. There's no need to ever put money into GT6's microtransaction systems.
 
"Micro" in this case is a contraction of "microcomputer".

I don't think so. It's not referring to the size of the computer that the transaction is being done on, it's referring to the size of the transaction itself. Microtransactions are not limited just to video games either. In an article by Computer Weekly they described them as, "...small transactions that can range from fractions of a penny up to a few Pounds...", & that's how I understand them as well.


A "microtransaction" is the exchange of real currency for currency that only has value within the confines of software - thus even an exchange that costs you £40 is a microtransaction. And remember, every microtransaction on a F2P game also costs you more than the game itself.

I thought that Microtransactions in games could involve more than just purchasing in-game currency? Can you not also buy content without purchasing in-game currency first?

You're right that every microtransaction will cost more than any F2P game, as F2P stands for Free To Play! ;)


And it's largely not relevant. GT6's in-game economy at launch was the same (broadly) as GT5's. Now they've increased prize funds by 10-80%, added daily login bonuses of up to 200% and seasonals - even if you missed the 11m seasonals over Christmas - put out like that girl. There's no need to ever put money into GT6's microtransaction systems.

I'm not saying that Microtransactions are necessary now, or that people are still being encouraged by low payouts in GT6 to buy them. My disgust is at the huge prices they're still charging for them! Even with the higher in-game payouts it doesn't help those players who don't have access to the internet & are stuck playing with the GT6 version 1 disc. Nor does it help those like myself who don't like the Career Mode aspect of GT6, hate the grind, & just want a large selection of cars to race online with.
 
  • Alfa Romeo GIULIA TZ2 carrozzata da ZAGATO CN.AR750106 '65 - 10 million ($75)
  • Audi R8 LMS '09 - 5.25 million ($45)
  • GT by Citroen Race Car - 5.6 million ($50)
  • Ferrari 250 GTO CN.3729GT '62 - 20 million ($150)
  • Ferrari 330 P4 '67 - 20 million ($150)
  • Jaguar XJ13 Chrome Line/'66 - 20 million ($150)
  • Lamborghini Miura P400 Bertone Prototype CN.0706 '67 - 15 million ($110)
  • Mercedes-Benz Sauber Mercedes C9 '89 - 5.35 million ($45)
  • Red Bull X2010 Prototype/X2011 Prototype - 20 million ($150)
  • Chaparral 2J '70 - 15 million ($110)

If you'd posted that 3 months back when all the fuzz was about monetization it would make some sense. Today ? I don't think anyone interested in GT6 or drivin' is whining about lack of credits , because any car except those 10-20 mil one you mentioned is obtainable in few races ,mostly. And to my knowledge ,those 20 mil cars are no "supercars" you need to have them (or pay them with real money to have them "pronto") to finish game. Now, if you'd like to show off with 20 mil cars ,then you can do races (lots of them) and have some fun , you can "glitch credits" or spend real money on them . Later is stupid idea for me , but I bet there are people who don't care about money and spending those few $ doesn't mean concern to them. That makes whole topic redundant .
 
VBR
I don't think so. It's not referring to the size of the computer that the transaction is being done on, it's referring to the size of the transaction itself.
Uhh...

"Microcomputer" is what we used to call computers. Back in the old days.
VBR
Microtransactions are not limited just to video games either. In an article by Computer Weekly they described them as, "...small transactions that can range from fractions of a penny up to a few Pounds...", & that's how I understand them as well.
In this context, it's merely an exchange of currency from real to virtual.
VBR
I thought that Microtransactions in games could involve more than just purchasing in-game currency? Can you not also buy content without purchasing in-game currency first?
That would be (paid) DLC.
VBR
You're right that every microtransaction will cost more than any F2P game, as F2P stands for Free To Play! ;)
That rather being the point of what I said.

A £39.99 microtransaction may well exceed the cost of the game you're buying it for. Every microtransaction for a F2P game does that. It's not something for which GT6 deserves special derision.
VBR
I'm not saying that Microtransactions are necessary now, or that people are still being encouraged by low payouts in GT6 to buy them. My disgust is at the huge prices they're still charging for them! Even with the higher in-game payouts it doesn't help those players who don't have access to the internet & are stuck playing with the GT6 version 1 disc. Nor does it help those like myself who don't like the Career Mode aspect of GT6, hate the grind, & just want a large selection of cars to race online with.
It's better that they are expensive and unnecessary, to put people off buying them willy nilly!
 
Or you could put "Cost of buying and playing the game" in the brackets.

I will not buy credits for GT^ yet I will buy those cars listed. Go figure.

I say
You should update your game sometime - those prices haven't been accurate since December 5th.
"Micro" in this case is a contraction of "microcomputer".

A "microtransaction" is the exchange of real currency for currency that only has value within the confines of software - thus even an exchange that costs you £40 is a microtransaction.

I'm sorry but how did you come up with this nonsense definition ?

Here's the real explanation of the term.

"A micropayment is a financial transaction involving a very small sum of money and usually one that occurs online. PayPal defines a micropayment as a transaction of less than 12 USD[1] while Visa prefers transactions under 20 Australian dollars"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micropayment
 
@Famine - Seeing as there are no definitions listed for Microtransaction in Oxford, Cambridge, or Collins dictionaries, I think I'll wait till there are rather than rely one one persons opinion of where the word originates from &/or what it's meaning/meanings might be. To me & many others besides, microtransaction simply means any small transaction either in a video game, online, or elsewhere, that involves a small amount of money. In my opinion it includes DLC as well.

I would much rather that GT6 started off with reasonably priced microtranactions such as £1 for 1 million in-game credits, I would have happily bought them to start off my car collection than sitting through the insipid mind-numbing drivel I find Career Mode to be. Here's the irony; I presume most people didn't pay the extortionate prices for microtransactions at launch, only the minority did, but if they'd charged a reasonable price like £1 for 1 million in-game credits many more people would've bought them & Sony/PD probably would've made more money.

I think GT6 most definitely deserves "special derision" for it's microtransactions, simply because of the unreasonably huge sums it's trying to flog them for!

To quote Edge Online, "Where formerly they’d been associated with inexpensive mobile games and free-to-play titles on the PC, in 2013, certain publishers saw the opportunity to entice gamers into paying for their product twice: £50 for the game, and more thereafter to unlock ‘extra’ content for it. The size of the sums in question also strained, and then broke, and trampled over, the meaning of the word ‘micro’, with some games bold-facedly offering unlocks adding up to high double – even triple – figures."
 
I'm sorry but how did you come up with this nonsense definition ?

Here's the real explanation of the term.

"A micropayment is
Robert Webb
I see the confusion. Let me explain:

They're different words. They have different letters and are spelled differently. Different words!
The same Wiki page
The term micropayment or microtransaction is sometimes used to the sale of virtual goods in online games, most commonly involving an in game currency or service bought with real world money and only available within the online game
Or, the accepted industry definition I mentioned earlier. Note the lack of price magnitude limits...
VBR
I would much rather that GT6 started off with reasonably priced microtranactions such as £1 for 1 million in-game credits
I'd much rather they didn't exist at all - I wouldn't pay for anything in any game I could earn myself. If the game's not enjoyable enough to earn it, it doesn't deserve me playing it - and if it is, there's no need to pay more for it.
VBR
I think GT6 most definitely deserves "special derision" for it's microtransactions, simply because of the unreasonably huge sums it's trying to flog them for!
They're not especially unreasonable though.

Over the first hour of the game you'll earn about 250,000cr. Alternatively you can buy 500,000cr for £4 - an equivalent rate of £2/hr. Would you work for £2/hr? Course not, so that doesn't look that unreasonable - though there's bigger payouts later in the game.

I've been playing 31hr and have 29m credits - call it 30hr and 28m and you're looking at 7.5hr to earn each 7m you could buy for £40... £5.33/hr. That's looking more like a wage (a minimum one), but still pretty reasonable. Of course a lot of my time has been spent just driving, not earning, so that figure's a lot lower.

They're catering to people who want to spend their work time working and their free time playing - which kinda damns the career structure as a bit of a chore to the casual gamer - but in terms of value, spending 30hr playing the game to get 28m credits is less sensible than paying £160 for it. No-one ever said I was sensible though.

It's also not unique - "other racing games" this cycle are using the microtransaction system, but GT6 has, and this is unique, completely changed the in-game economy to make microtransactions completely irrelevant to all but the most casual of casual gamers, making the cars cheaper and money far easier to get hold of.
 
Last edited:
If you meet Kazunori and tell him that you've bought credits for GT6 he will start to laugh ... :lol::lol:



IR
 
If you meet Kazunori and tell him that you've bought credits for GT6 he will start to laugh ... :lol::lol:


Kaz_Laughing.png


Originally posted here. ;)
 
No VBR .. it's not important if you're Rich or poor ... because who buy credits for the game is (IMHO) only NOT CAPABLE !

The "microstranslation" , for me , are made to buy cars in the game at the various AUTO SHOWs , or academy !
Think about the last Toyota FT-1 , due to the microstranslation they can buy a model of that car in different colors and allow the visitors of the stands (i.e. auto show, games show) to try that car in all the GT6 tracks .
In the era of GranTurismo "off line" (GT3&GT4) i saw a copy of GT3 in a car show with only ONE TRACK (autumn ring) and only one car (Alfa romeo 147 )... and in the original GT3 Aspec the car and the track weren't in the game.
Customized versions of GT were made for many car manufacturers in the past ... Toyota, Bmw, nissan etc etc .
Now with the microtranslation they needn't to make a specific DISC , they only to make a DLC ...

IR

EDIT .. now in GT6 , without 20 milion glitch, i'm over 80 milions earned in my main profile ..for a total of ~130 milions in four profiles ..i'd like to sell them to PDigital :lol::sly::crazy:
 
I only have one question...what is GT%. Was that before or after Prologue?:lol:
 
before TOKIO GENEVA if i remember ...

IR
 
I only have one question...what is GT%. Was that before or after Prologue?:lol:
Feel free to point us to the part of the AUP where spelling is mentioned. Also note where I made light of it in my previous post.
 
Feel free to point us to the part of the AUP where spelling is mentioned. Also note where I made light of it in my previous post.
Feel free to point me to the part of the AUP where it's mentioned that you can't have any lighthearted fun...I think it's right beside the part about spelling...:cheers:
 
Over the first hour of the game you'll earn about 250,000cr

Err...no I won't, because I'm not interested in playing Career mode. ;) Like I said, I'd much prefer to buy cars with reasonably priced microtransactions. Then I can go Free Run my cars, which is one of the reasons I play the game. If they bring back online Shuffle racing, which was my number one reason for playing GT5, I wouldn't even need to do that.
 
VBR
Err...no I won't, because I'm not interested in playing Career mode. ;)
Then the rest of the sentence applies:
Famine
Alternatively you can buy 500,000cr for £4 - an equivalent rate of £2/hr. Would you work for £2/hr? Course not, so that doesn't look that unreasonable - though there's bigger payouts later in the game.
VBR
Like I said, I'd much prefer to buy cars with reasonably priced microtransactions.
And again, I point you to the fact that the cost for the amount of time you'd put into "earning" that much money is well below what your time is actually worth.
VBR
Then I can go Free Run my cars, which is one of the reasons I play the game. If they bring back online Shuffle racing, which was my number one reason for playing GT5, I wouldn't even need to do that.
Perhaps you could play one-make race lobbies, where you are not required to buy the car to drive it?

We've also, for LANs, developed a 30 car shuffle that will cost you about 2m credits to put together. All you need is the cars (and another one to get the paint chip you prefer), someone to run the Excel file (it's really an OOC file, but saved in Excel compatible mode) and update results and everyone to have unlocked the online mode with licences.
 
How much does PD pay you for playing GT6, while you had to play for free in GT%?

Doing the Red Bull events you'll easily get 2.3 million credits in less than 30 minutes. That's about 5 million credits per hour. To buy those credits would cost €40, so that's what you earn per hour.
 
@Famine - I get what you're saying, & where you're coming from. However, comparing the GT6 economy at launch to what it is now & saying it's good is not very helpful imo. You can always compare something that's bad with something that's worse to make it seem good, advertisers have been doing that for ages! :lol: I'm coming from GT5 to GT6, as most people are, & think it's only natural to compare it with that as it's what I've been playing for the last few years.

In GT5 there was a Seasonal where you did 1 lap of the Nurburgring, & if you're log in bonus was at 200%, you'd get 1,000,000 credits. That was my grind, & it took about 6:30 to do a lap. You could easily do 8 laps in 1 hour, earning 8 million credits. That's about what PD valued their in game currency at in GT5, 8 million per hour, & that's what I & many others are used to. You can skew the math all you want to make GT6's economy seem good, but in comparison it really isn't. Yes, I know the GT5 economy at launch wasn't that great either, & hopefully GT6 will improve & offer Seasonals with higher payouts that you can do more than once & still earn cash, only time will tell. All I know is, I'm coming from a system of earning a lot of money easily & quickly, to earning it either slowly or painfully (I will never do a Red Bull event:ouch:).

I only like online racing in GT games now, I hate Career Mode & have no intention to endure it's insipid mind-numbuing drivel beyond what is unavoidable. So any & all arguments about earning money from it are not relevant to me & many others who are just interested in online racing & earning money from that. In GT5 I'd Shuffle race online, then use the money I earned to buy second hand cars from the UCD (I'd also watch the replays afterwards :D). That's how I play the game. Career Mode isn't the game, it's just one game mode among many. I doubt most people would like it if PD designed the game so that they were forced into taking photo's or playing B-Spec to earn credits. Likewise, I don't like being forced into playing Career Mode to progress or to get money & cars either.

Back to microtransactions: they could've been great for guys like me to bypass Career Mode altogether, & just buy cars to start Free Running & having fun in. If they'd been reasonably priced that is, i.e. available to people from all economic situations. £1 per million would be reasonable for the majority of folk to be able to afford imo, the current mark up isn't, & most people who are poor couldn't afford it. It reminds me of Dragons Den when certain "optimists" come in & overvalue their business, much to the dragons displeasure. I think Sony/PD have done the same by over valuing their in-game currency. Paying £40 for a whole game, & then having the option to pay another £40 just to unlock some of the content is not reasonable imo. Paying £40 for a game & having the option to unlock content for a minimum of £1 per 1 million in-game credits is reasonable imo.

GT is expanding into new areas, it's being played in new ways, it's attracting a wider fan base, & these are great things. PD needs to wake up to this by responding accordingly & appropriately, otherwise their prehistoric game design will see GT go the way of the Dinosaur.
 
Last edited:
VBR
@Famine - I get what you're saying, & where you're coming from. However, comparing the GT6 economy at launch to what it is now & saying it's good is not very helpful imo. You can always compare something that's bad with something that's worse to make it seem good, advertisers have been doing that for ages! I'm coming from GT5 to GT6, as most people are, & think it's only natural to compare it with that as it's what I've been playing for the last few years.

In GT5 there was a Seasonal where you did 1 lap of the Nurburgring, & if you're log in bonus was at 200%, you'd get 1,000,000 credits. That was my grind, & it took about 6:30 to do a lap. You could easily do 8 laps in 1 hour, earning 8 million credits. That's about what PD valued their in game currency at in GT5, 8 million per hour, & that's what I & many others are used to. You can skew the math all you want to make GT6's economy seem good, but in reality it isn't. Yes, I know the GT5 economy at launch wasn't that great either, & hopefully GT6 will improve & offer Seasonal's with higher payouts that you can do more than once & still earn cash, only time will tell. All I know is, I'm coming from a system of earning a lot of money easily & quickly, to earning it either slowly, or painfully (I will never do a Red Bull event:ouch:).
You don't need to skew the math - GT6's prize money structure in career mode right now is between almost completely identical and very closely comparable to GT5's right now (which makes GT5's at launch terrible and with no get-round).

Seasonals are their own deal - but I earned 12m in 20 minutes in GT6's seasonals over Christmas. That's 36m/hr. Yes, it's a non-repeatable prize, but there'll be others - and we simply don't know what they've got planned for it. Remember that GT5 didn't have seasonals at launch either and we got them much sooner in GT6 (v1.02, same month as launch) than in GT5 (v1.07, 2 months after launch).


That you'd choose not to do a Red Bull event (or a career mode race) is your choice, but you can't complain about how hard money is to come by when you ignore the biggest money spinner in the game. What about folk who, in your GT5 example, would "never do a Nurburgring event :ouch:" - or who don't have the time or opportunity to get their login bonus every day without fail?
VBR
Back to microtransactions: they could've been great for guys like me to bypass Career Mode altogether, & just buy cars to start Free Running & having fun. If they'd been reasonably priced that is, i.e. available to people from all economic situations. £1 per million would be reasonable for the majority of folk to be able to afford imo, the current mark up isn't, & most people who are poor couldn't afford it.
I'll reiterate that they are reasonably priced because the time equivalent for someone to earn the same money is well below even the UK's minimum wage - it's more worth your time to buy credits than it is to spend your time earning them.

Not that I'd ever spend a penny buying fake money for a game.

As for penury... it's a £40 game on a £100 game system. It hardly seems wise to be talking about having consideration for "people who are poor" but bought a non-essential item.
VBR
GT is expanding into new areas, it's being played in new ways, it's attracting a wider fan base. PD needs to wake up to this & respond accordingly & appropriately. Otherwise it's prehistoric game design will see it go the way of the Dinosaur.
The biggest problem of all here isn't how you earn credits and buy cars but that you need to in the first place.

Using your own cars online is great. It shouldn't be the only real method of online play - in GT4 you could use, via LAN, any of the Arcade Mode cars and the overwhelming majority of these were open from the start. This ought to be the case in GT6.
 
@Famine - You have your opinions, I have mine. End of! :)
 
Did you miss out on the Merc VGT money glitch?

Whether I've done the glitch or not would have no effect on the huge prices Sony/PD are charging for in-game credits, therefore it's actually irrelevant as my issue is with their pricing which would remain unaffected either way.

However, to answer your question; I'll have to take the fifth on that one Johnny! :sly:
 
  • Alfa Romeo GIULIA TZ2 carrozzata da ZAGATO CN.AR750106 '65 - 10 million ($75)
  • Audi R8 LMS '09 - 5.25 million ($45)
  • GT by Citroen Race Car - 5.6 million ($50)
  • Ferrari 250 GTO CN.3729GT '62 - 20 million ($150)
  • Ferrari 330 P4 '67 - 20 million ($150)
  • Jaguar XJ13 Chrome Line/'66 - 20 million ($150)
  • Lamborghini Miura P400 Bertone Prototype CN.0706 '67 - 15 million ($110)
  • Mercedes-Benz Sauber Mercedes C9 '89 - 5.35 million ($45)
  • Red Bull X2010 Prototype/X2011 Prototype - 20 million ($150)
  • Chaparral 2J '70 - 15 million ($110)
Even with the adjusted prices, I would think that my garage is worth thousands and thousands of dollars.

The worse part is that new players face a severe handicap because of their small garages when playing online and that makes it less fun for everybody.
 
VBR
According to Collins English Dictionary, Micro means "Very small". The transactions in GT6 are not very small, therefore they cannot properly be called Microtranactions. I started calling them Macrotransactions, because when the word Macro is combined with another word it means, "Large...or great in size".

I paid £39.85 for GT6 at launch, but it costs £39.99 for 1 transaction of 7 million in-game credits. That's more than the game itself! Macrotransactions will be what I call them. If they charged £0.70 for 7 million credits, that would be reasonable, & then I'd call it a Microtransaction.

The whole pricing of them in GT6 is disgusting imo. :yuck:


Agreed, but then again the pricing of cars in the game are unreasonable in a number of situations. GT has always had a questionable financial structure. It's a game about real cars so the values should reflect that. I have never had to grind like I have in this series to enjoy cars in a racing game.
 
Back